Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 PM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times

Advertisements

Then, more such questions to atheists:

"How can you be a moral person if you don't believe in god?"
"With pain and suffering in the world, without a prophet who can save the world?"
"What if rapture does not happen if you don't believe?"
"Are you aware of creator?"
"Do you think god is responsible for pain and suffering?"
"Why do you hold on to your atheist faith?"

Old 02-23-2015, 09:53 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
P.s having said that, some of the questions about morality and worldview are fair enough. Without a god or religion to follow, those questions do arise. They have been discussed here, but the worldview would perforce be 'Rational'. Validated evidence and logical reasoning. And morality is complicated but a developed census -morality based heavily on human preferences and reciprocity, without which nobody could get along with anyone else.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:36 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
"How can you be a moral person if you don't believe in god?" Because I don't need religion to tell me that I don't like being hurt, so I try not to hurt other people. It's simple empathy.
"With pain and suffering in the world, without a prophet who can save the world?" Those of us who roll up our sleeves and work to make it a better world.
"What if rapture does not happen if you don't believe?" Not sure I understand the question, but if you're asking what I think you're asking, see Pascal's Wager.
"Are you aware of creator?" I'm aware of the creators of lots of things.
"Do you think god is responsible for pain and suffering?" You do understand what "atheist" means, right?
"Why do you hold on to your atheist faith?" I'm not the one who has "faith." Atheism is a logical conclusion, not something taken on blind belief.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:35 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
P.s having said that, some of the questions about morality and worldview are fair enough. Without a god or religion to follow, those questions do arise. They have been discussed here, but the worldview would perforce be 'Rational'. Validated evidence and logical reasoning. And morality is complicated but a developed census -morality based heavily on human preferences and reciprocity, without which nobody could get along with anyone else.
There's truth in that, but some of these questions are so completely nonsensical it's hard to believe they're being asked in good faith. If some of them weren't so ridiculous, I'd be happy to answer the others and have a good discussion, but I feel like i'm being hoaxed.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:10 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
There's truth in that, but some of these questions are so completely nonsensical it's hard to believe they're being asked in good faith. If some of them weren't so ridiculous, I'd be happy to answer the others and have a good discussion, but I feel like i'm being hoaxed.
Believe me, after some of the stuff I'd seen posted I could believe anything they posted was genuinely meant.

I'll answer these.

Then, more such questions to atheists:

"How can you be a moral person if you don't believe in god?" You don't need a god to be moral.
"With pain and suffering in the world, without a prophet who can save the world?" If we can't improve it ourselves, nobody can. It's no use waiting for a miracle.
"What if rapture does not happen if you don't believe?" rapture is a whacky cultish fad based on a book of myths and religious polemic.
"Are you aware of creator?" I'm not even aware that there's a convincing case for a Creator to believe in.
"Do you think god is responsible for pain and suffering?" Nope.
"Why do you hold on to your atheist faith?" Because, if validated evidence and logical reasoning counts for anything, we are right.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Carl Sagan explained the answer to these questions this way: "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Old 02-24-2015, 03:59 AM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Asking how Atheists pray is a clear sign that there was so serious intent for this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality