Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:10 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times

Advertisements

There will always be religion because we are a grain of decaf coffee in a bloody infinite universe and in the back of all our mind have no clue wtf is going on lol. Why are we here. What is reality. No answers - it's understandable that we seek answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 10:10 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Bahá'í Faith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Would the worlds problems, violence, greed, poverty, be solved if these two faiths replaced the dominant Christianity and Islam faiths?

I gotta say I have been an non religious all my life but Bahá'í really appeals to me. One world, one love. People from 200+ countries. Think I may have actually found my calling. We humans all want to be apart of something and search for the meaning of life don't we.

“The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."

- Baha'u'llah
Bahá'í sounds very Christian actually. Bahá'í is an eclectic religion that takes what it pleases from all world religions, so it's not surprising to find familiar themes in it. Bahá'í is not a majority religion anywhere in the world and never has been. You learn a lot about a religion when they gain a strong majority. Case in point, Buddhists in Myanmar have been persecuting, torturing and massacring all non-Buddhists for decades.

The reason that religion so often becomes the excuse for atrocities is largely because there are a bunch of a-holes in this world looking for an excuse to be a-holes.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:02 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
We can only dream cant we! If any these two seem to be the most peaceful and inclusive though imo. Like you say most religions teach peace and love but throughout history it has been anything but.
You're male, aren't you?
Bahá'í looked pretty good for a little bit until finding out that women were relegated to second place after all.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:05 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Bahá'í Faith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Would the worlds problems, violence, greed, poverty, be solved if these two faiths replaced the dominant Christianity and Islam faiths?

I gotta say I have been an non religious all my life but Bahá'í really appeals to me. One world, one love. People from 200+ countries. Think I may have actually found my calling. We humans all want to be apart of something and search for the meaning of life don't we.

“The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."

- Baha'u'llah

Short answer No
Long answer No because humans will always find conflict in everything no matter what it is.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You're male, aren't you?
Bahá'í looked pretty good for a little bit until finding out that women were relegated to second place after all.
Maybe - I am not an expert in it. Just after reading a few articles. I am Agnostic, doubt that will ever change.

But people are always gonna be religious. Maybe if they followed these there wouldn't be as much carnage in the world. But the more people that follow the more chance of extreme views I guess.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
You could make a case for a few other religions, too. Jainism, for one.

I'm good with the Christian peace churches, too -- Anabaptists, Brethren, and Quakers.

For that matter, Unitarian Universalism is more or less harmless, being as much a liberal social club as it as a religion.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:42 PM

671 posts, read 890,513 times
Pick a faith,any faith,,better yet, make up your own.
You,God and no in between agents is a good start.

This message has been approved by God.......

Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 PM

867 posts, read 909,211 times
Quote:
Can you elaborate please. Like I say I am not religious, I am a party animal from Scotland stuck in a dead end job like most of us, just this year I have started researching.
I'll help if I can..hmmm...I'm a huge fan of Mahayana Buddhism but not Zen Buddhism. What I like about Mahayana is that it has the oldest Sutra known to man, to me Buddhism is not much without the Sutra. I've read--and you may wish to buy--the Dhammapada, the Diamond Sutra, the Lotus Sutra, The Heart Sutra, The Vimilakartri Sutra (misspelled) and all of that is Mahayana with the possible exception of the Dhammapada which is Hinduism and Buddhism but is revered in Mahayana.

Now, if you look up the History of Zen it's not a very peaceful one. I've read stories of Monks killing other Monks because they presented them with paradoxes above their thinking. This was not uncommon in Zen. The reason the West tends to get into Zen and not Mahayana is because in the eighties there was this big Japanese rush in the West where Japan was viewed as the next super power; this was before the Japanese economy tanked and never recovered in the early nineties. So, there are many reasons why I am not a fan of Zen but the primary one being the Westernization of it.

Now, let me look up some stats on the internet. I believe Mahayana is strictly Chinese Buddhism and is still practiced in Taiwan and China. So, an internet search is hasty but it is the most practiced form of Buddhism according to different sources. My suspicion is that with a more economically empowered China it will be more widely practiced in the West and adopted by Westerners who now practice Zen.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:42 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
We can only dream cant we! If any these two seem to be the most peaceful and inclusive though imo. Like you say most religions teach peace and love but throughout history it has been anything but.
Yes, instead of religious clubs, I think I'll stick with real peace, love, and understanding. But also with awareness of how evil and destructive religion is (yet part of human psychology), so that I can properly defend against it when it inevitably attacks. I am no religionist, I am a human being with human rights that I will fight for properly and decisively! The religious who are honorable can stand on my side and struggle against the evil, deluded, ignorant people properly, from both the religious and none-religious camps.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:53 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
There will always be religion because we are a grain of decaf coffee in a bloody infinite universe and in the back of all our mind have no clue wtf is going on lol. Why are we here. What is reality. No answers - it's understandable that we seek answers.
Albert Einstein called mindless and unquestioned repetition Insanity, and I agree with him on that.

Why are we here, because of How... because of of the workings of a process, because of How we are here.

What is reality? Reality is a label for something believed in, but also for something that doesn't go away when you disbelieve it (unlike the Christian Jesus verses Hindu Krishna verses Jewish Yahweh verses Muslim Allah), something that can be understood if investigated properly.

Answers sought, answers accepted. Zoroastrianism was more iconoclastic then either Bahaianity or Buddianity, and it was also more "Pacifist" in that their First Most Powerful God never created Evil nor Calamity. But the Zoroastrians were conquered by Muslim invaders using simple military strategies and with easier theology and "better incentives" and technology and an easier religion that maintained itself better without any need for state-support, frothing at the mouth is a good way for an army to invade a neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality