Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, Julian, that sort of describes one branch of Quakers, but we are ALL ministers, and Vizio's advice is good.
I still like Quakers. If I was not a Catholic I would be a Quaker. They seem quite normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 05:27 AM

88,675 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Seems to be a fairly nonviolent oatmeal. As least as far as oatmeals go anyway.
Ha good one.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 AM

88,675 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why did you pick the Quakers versus any other church? Did someone invite you? Do you know someone there? Can you ask them what is the standard attire?

I'd be willing to guess they're a lot like any other church...maybe a bit more formal in dress. If so, I'd suggest maybe a nice dress, nothing too form-fitting or low-cut. Modest is good.
Just read this one-'more formal in dress???? Quakers???? Exactly the opposite.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:30 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,447,191 times
Well, I wasn't able to go last weekend or this. I'll post back here when I do get a chance to attend.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:13 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,668,426 times
Curious if the OP ever went to meeting and what his/her impression was.

Quakers are about as uninterested in how you dress as you can get. At the meeting I attend, one older woman usually wears a dress, while younger people are in T-shirts and jeans. One guy usually comes in his bike-riding gear, fresh off a ride to meeting.

Quakers put an emphasis on simplicity, and that can extend to simplicity of dress for many. In short, don't overthink it. If your clothes are clean and modest, you're good to go.

Interestingly, there are a few Quakers who still embrace the plain dress of days gone by. Not as extreme as the guy on the Quaker Oats box, but more like what you might expect the Amish to wear -- men in simple button-down shirts, with denim pants and suspenders, and women in solid-color ankle-length dresses, some wearing bonnets and some without. Quaker Jane's website has a lot of interesting thoughts on how she adopted plain dress -- although she doesn't do it anymore:

Quaker Jane - Limiting your palette in an addle-pated world. Plain dress, quakers and spirituality.

Again, though, it's an extremely small minority of Quakers who observe plain dress. The vast majority just wear everyday modern clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality