Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:02 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,077,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Ever wonder how many atheists and vegans you come in contact with but never know they're atheist or vegan because they don't bring it up?
"here eat this burger"
"No, thanks, I'm a Vegan, animal slaughter is not my thing"
"why do you have to be so in my face about it!!!"
lol "you can't handle the truth!"

So many people assume I am a Christian because I'm a good person, it sickens me that I can't bring it up without their prejudices immediately shutting me down and them thinking, "why didn't this person just keep such negativity to themselves." The only negativity is the vile propaganda from church pews. Even some of my more hedonistic atheist friends say I'm Buddhist... Umm no, I'm just more ethical because I have different focal desires then you: I care about truth and humanity.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-18-2014 at 03:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,224,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the aithiests are down swimmimg with the muslims

e
I'd much rather discuss moral or spiritual matters with a Moslem than an athiest.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:27 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,077,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'd much rather discuss moral or spiritual matters with a Moslem than an athiest.
How about discussing them with people who know about morality and spirituality instead? Being religious doesn't allow you to pretend single access to topical knowledge.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:02 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I noticed for the Republican side of the graph, it measures knowledge and ignorance even more than their views on religious groups.

You can tell because the further "east" a religion is, the less they like it. In other words, the more ignorant of a religion they are, the more they view it negatively (because they haven't been exposed to it).

It follows along the old adage of that which we do not know, we fear.

It's the same for atheists - most of them, I'm sure, think atheists are the immoral dregs of society who eat babies and sacrifice goats (or whatever).

Muslims, heh, 13 years after 9/11 and they're still scared to death of 'em.
I have a 22-year-old daughter, which means that about 20 years ago I listened to and watched Disney's Beauty and The Beast three times a day for months.

There's a great line in one of the songs:

"We don't like/
what we don't/
understand/
in fact it scares us"

Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM

5,546 posts, read 3,956,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Likewise with atheists, you never 'meet' one, you just see the ones shouting about how stupid you are for believing in fairy tales or otherwise being obnoxious.
Have you ever actually seen that on the street corners of Albuquerque, or anywhere else in real life as opposed to the hallways and street corners of the Internet?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:09 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Of course - because then you can damn each other to perdition on doctrinal grounds, but the basic invalid assmuption that God is real is never going to be questioned.

And another who spells it 'athiest'. I am the most athiest kind of atheist.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:11 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Of course - because then you can damn each other to perdition on doctrinal grounds, but the basic invalid assmuption that God is real is never going to be questioned.

And another who spells it 'athiest'. I am the most athiest kind of atheist.
You know what else is weird? If there's more than one atheist, people don't add the last "s" on. They do the same thing with terrorist and other words ending in "ist" when it's meant to be plural. Watch for that on City-Data and it will amaze you how often you see it. It's as if it's just too big an effort to type another"s".

Old 07-19-2014, 08:13 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,626,247 times
^
Don't mind me but I prefer ' a-theist'....;-).....that's what it means right off the bat!

Old 07-19-2014, 09:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,397,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Have you ever actually seen that on the street corners of Albuquerque, or anywhere else in real life as opposed to the hallways and street corners of the Internet?
For years I worked on, and I still live near a large University campus, so I actually see people accusing random passersby as 'godless whores' and 'unrepentant sinners in league with Satan' and displaying huge posters of bloody fetuses. I also see numbskull atheists yelling back at them some pretty asinine things about the non-existence of god.

Off campus, you still see the Christians here and there, in front of WalMart and Planned Parenthood are two likely locations. The atheists tend to be mute out in public.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:21 AM

5,546 posts, read 3,956,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
For years I worked on, and I still live near a large University campus, so I actually see people accusing random passersby as 'godless whores' and 'unrepentant sinners in league with Satan' and displaying huge posters of bloody fetuses. I also see numbskull atheists yelling back at them some pretty asinine things about the non-existence of god.

Off campus, you still see the Christians here and there, in front of WalMart and Planned Parenthood are two likely locations. The atheists tend to be mute out in public.
Yeah, atheists tending to be "mute out in public" has been my experience as well. I've brought the topic (of atheism) up out of nowhere a few times while drinking in public places, but I've never witnessed a "stranger" do so, sober or otherwise. I've certainly seen my fair share of confrontational evangelicals as well...most memorably, a friend of mine once spent about an hour arguing with one near the periphery of a free public concert in downtown Buffalo. After the police finally chased them/us (I was nearby) out of the area of the long-since-ended concert, the guy handed my friend a badge which read "I was schooled by a street preacher."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality