Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times

Advertisements

first i must apologize for posting so much. i do get very interested and excited about the whole subject which leads me to yet another question. who knows how MY brain works but my question is about the religious practices of certain parts of appalachia that include snake handling and drinking strichnine. these are done with the belief that (oh i dont know exactly) god will protect you from harm if you handle a snake or drink poison and that if you are bitten and die or do drink and die that maybe you werent a true believer after all (not exactly sure though). i think it is very interesting and im sure you've all heard about it so i dont really have a question but am just looking for comments (both pro and con). if i am a dork for posting this then forgive me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Yeah.... I think I'll just stick to not believing in God for now

Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Default Interesting reading on the subject

Snake Handlers Hang On in Appalachian Churches -

Old 11-19-2007, 05:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Yeah, do a google search for "snake handling churches."

It's more than you really wanted to know.

People will build up a resistance to poisons, but in the case of the snakes, there is a very good chance that they have been "milked" before the service and have very little poison in the bite.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:33 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Handling of snakes and drinking poison is not only dangerous...it's total foolishness! Perhaps God will protect you if you did these things accidently, but to do them purposefully is foolishness. The people who do these things are ignoring an important commandment in the Bible:

"Thou shalt not TEMPT the Lord thy God"....(Mathew 4:7, Deut. 6:16)

Bud

Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
And these signs shall follow them that believe; in my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mark 16:17-18 (KJV)
I have read that Mark 16:9-20 are not part of the original greek manuscripts..These verses are thought to be an addition after the 4th century and cannot be attributed to Mark...

Old 11-19-2007, 10:15 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
And these signs shall follow them that believe; in my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mark 16:17-18 (KJV)
I have read that Mark 16:9-20 are not part of the original greek manuscripts..These verses are thought to be an addition after the 4th century and cannot be attributed to Mark...
Now that I entirely believe, although it is certainly a mystery as to why someone would have inserted something so silly into the original manuscript. Of course, more important than who put it there, is why others would believe and follow such nonsense. There's no accounting for the way some folks' minds work, I suppose. I'm sorry, but if my Creator told me to to start playing with snakes, or drinking something poisonous, (good grief, I can't even down cough syrup without gagging!), we may have a disagreement!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Well, that's what a literal interpretation will get you, I suppose. Even I have enough sense to realize what the verses mean - speak with new tongues means they will speak more like a Christian, not just in words but in meaning. Taking up serpents, I would surmise is challenging Satan on his own turf. And most importantly - *if* they drink something deadly! If! Not "DO it and I'll protect you."

Sheesh, how weird.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 PM

111 posts, read 263,335 times
Default Aargh!

Not the "original manuscript" thing!

The latter part of Mark IS found in the oldest manuscript, the Textus Receptus. Contrary to what Satan would have us to believe, the Alexandrian, Sinaiticus, and otherwise were all located later, some of them in very...suspicious places. Almost as if they were...placed there...on purpose...to create doubt...on...existing...manuscript...Er, Ahem! I let my mind wander for a second.

Hey, there's a reason Satan wanted us to doubt the latter part of Mark's Gospel's validity. In Mark 16:15 we find the commission that became Satan's bane: To win the lost everywhere.

Besides, who are we to insult the intelligence of the scores of men who decided to include it (under guidance of the Holy Ghost, may I add)? Are we smarter then they? Of course not.

Good grief.

I know it can be challenging sometimes to simply read the Bible and believe it for what it says, word for word. But that's what faith is, no?

Thanks for reading, friend.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:47 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1611 View Post
Besides, who are we to insult the intelligence of the scores of men who decided to include it (under guidance of the Holy Ghost, may I add)? Are we smarter then they? Of course not.

I know it can be challenging sometimes to simply read the Bible and believe it for what it says, word for word. But that's what faith is, no?
Playing devil's advocate, (a role I enjoy. Not sure what that says about me), I have to ask this question. Just exactly how do we know that those men included that part of the scripture under the guidance of the Holy Spirit? Or, that any of what they wrote was under his guidance, for that matter? As I recall, during the Council of Nicea, 325 A.D., there were a bunch of old guys who decided what would be in the Canon, and what would not. How do we know that they chose the right scriptures?

As to simply reading the Bible, and believing it, word for word, that's generally what gets folks into trouble, if they're not careful. A literal reading of scripture causes people to do all sorts of foolish things, if they are not very discerning. And, frankly, playing with snakes and drinking poison is pretty darn foolish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality