Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:23 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times

Advertisements

Hindus, Sikhs...all speak of Sat Nam (or Naam)
Sat means True or Truth
Nam means name....(sometimes Word also according to some)
...so the True Name (of God).

What are they talking about though?
If you know the True Name or Holy Name of God that is unspeakable...
How does it change you? Is it the same Name we are not to take in vain?
If it was before time, before creation, before Man, in the beginning, how can we
find it? Where is it?
Why is it to be hallowed?

Throwing out thoughts for the very few here that it would interest...
Thanx...continuing the idea of having an Eastern Religion Section added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 11:36 AM

995 posts, read 955,970 times
One of the many things I love about the far eastern philosophy's God is that when he/she wants to enlighten and convey eternal compassion, he just has his people say it. He doesn't throw away all morality and murder innocent people to convey it.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:25 PM

15,958 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hindus, Sikhs...all speak of Sat Nam (or Naam)
Sat means True or Truth
Nam means name....(sometimes Word also according to some)
...so the True Name (of God).

What are they talking about though?
If you know the True Name or Holy Name of God that is unspeakable...
How does it change you? Is it the same Name we are not to take in vain?
If it was before time, before creation, before Man, in the beginning, how can we
find it? Where is it?
Why is it to be hallowed?

Throwing out thoughts for the very few here that it would interest...
Thanx...continuing the idea of having an Eastern Religion Section added.
Updating a very goo thread, thanks to Miss H.

In Sanskrit Sat is truth, existence, the only Truth. It denotes Brhman, along with Chit and Ananda. I am not certain about Sikh practices but I believe this is called upon before worship, just as Hindus chant OM before all worship begins.

Chanting the name of a deity focuses your mind and clears your thoughts and helps in meditation.
There is no concept of taking God's name in vain in Eastern thought. God's name is always good it is not unspeakable, it is very speakable ! The Mahamantra chants the Name of Rama and Krishna, the two avatars of Vishnu. It is Hare Rama, Hare Krishna - meaning O Rama, O Krishna destroy my ignorance, let me realize you. You can repeat it any number times you want!

Old 09-17-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
...Chanting the name of a deity focuses your mind and clears your thoughts and helps in meditation.
God's name is always good it is not unspeakable, it is very speakable !
Hi, 2013 thread, eh?
Lemme say: Sat Nam or Sat Naam = the True Name.
That would be before vocal cords, before tongues to be able to pronounce a word, before different languages..Before pens and paper.

Can you pronounce the sound of a wave crashing on the beach?
Same with the Holy Name or Sat Naam.
You can certainly TRY to imitate it....take a wave ..."Aahhhhhh -whooooooosh".... Maybe ''Whooooosh- aaahhhhhh".
Do this like a whisper...it's darn close!!!

And that is exactly what the ancients tried to do hearing God's Name...."Yaaaahhhh - whaaaaay."
(Do that in a breathy , whispering way.)
The Hindus still do, ''Soooooo-haaaammmmmm" or
Aaaaa-uuuuu--mmmmm....and so on.
But, It was before even our breath.

I say, sit; ask God to reveal His Holy Name to you that Jesus said should be 'hallowed'...that is everywhere.
Hmm...Word or Naam...Kirpal Singh's book would help this along...read it cover to cover!! Ha!

Old 09-17-2022, 09:54 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
and we each as individuals have our own true name, a name that is sung to us in light.
not one that as humans we pronounce and speak and write,
but one we recognize at the core of our Being

sung to us in light, welcoming us home, and letting us know we never left.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi, 2013 thread, eh?
Lemme say: Sat Nam or Sat Naam = the True Name.
That would be before vocal cords, before tongues to be able to pronounce a word, before different languages..Before pens and paper.

Can you pronounce the sound of a wave crashing on the beach?
Same with the Holy Name or Sat Naam.
You can certainly TRY to imitate it....take a wave ..."Aahhhhhh -whooooooosh".... Maybe ''Whooooosh- aaahhhhhh".
Do this like a whisper...it's darn close!!!

And that is exactly what the ancients tried to do hearing God's Name...."Yaaaahhhh - whaaaaay."
(Do that in a breathy , whispering way.)
The Hindus still do, ''Soooooo-haaaammmmmm" or
Aaaaa-uuuuu--mmmmm....and so on.
But, It was before even our breath.

I say, sit; ask God to reveal His Holy Name to you that Jesus said should be 'hallowed'...that is everywhere.
Hmm...Word or Naam...Kirpal Singh's book would help this along...read it cover to cover!! Ha!

The beauty of OM is it is made up of the first vowel of the alphabet, the middle vowel and the silence of eternity, the dot, anusvara. Vowels give structure to words. The two vowels and the silent anusvara combine per Sanskrit grammar as simply OM where are all multiplicity is resolved into the Oneness of Brhman

Old 09-17-2022, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 577 times
If I understand Hindu philosophy or by extention the religious thought it goes like this. God pervades the whole universe or even the universe itself is contained in God. Now in this thought process how can a mortal human being perceive God? It is like saying that an atom deep in a mountain can perceive the existence of the solar system. Since we can't perceive the Ultimate reality, and we are limited by our sensual perceptions the next best thing to do is to realize that since God pervades the universe, We ourselves are personification of God (Aham Shivoham, which means I am Shiva). Since God pervades the universe and is nourishing God how can there be such a thing as evil? That brings us to no such thing as evil, only our perception of evil. Does it mean that we go pet a hungry lion? Since lion itself is not evil that we foolishly do such acts. What Hindu religion taught me is be loving and at the same time walk carefully avoiding unnecessary dangers. Also the Ancient Hindu sages knew what western scholars in 18th century (Sigmund Frad and others started to preach about mind and its manifestations after years of research) in those ancient times and prescribed chanting etc to calm the mind. So if you notice in the Hindu puranas Ravana though considered evil but protrayed as powerful as Gods because he could achieve the powers of God through meditation and chanting of Gods name. So bottom line is there is no Sat Nam everything is Sat Nam.. Thanks

Old 09-17-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murali44 View Post
If I understand Hindu philosophy or by extention the religious thought it goes like this. God pervades the whole universe or even the universe itself is contained in God. Now in this thought process how can a mortal human being perceive God? It is like saying that an atom deep in a mountain can perceive the existence of the solar system. Since we can't perceive the Ultimate reality, and we are limited by our sensual perceptions the next best thing to do is to realize that since God pervades the universe, We ourselves are personification of God (Aham Shivoham, which means I am Shiva). Since God pervades the universe and is nourishing God how can there be such a thing as evil? That brings us to no such thing as evil, only our perception of evil. Does it mean that we go pet a hungry lion? Since lion itself is not evil that we foolishly do such acts. What Hindu religion taught me is be loving and at the same time walk carefully avoiding unnecessary dangers. Also the Ancient Hindu sages knew what western scholars in 18th century (Sigmund Frad and others started to preach about mind and its manifestations after years of research) in those ancient times and prescribed chanting etc to calm the mind. So if you notice in the Hindu puranas Ravana though considered evil but protrayed as powerful as Gods because he could achieve the powers of God through meditation and chanting of Gods name. So bottom line is there is no Sat Nam everything is Sat Nam.. Thanks
Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-17-2022, 02:16 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Wonderful thread.

I too vote for an eastern " religion " sub-forum.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Wonderful thread.

I too vote for an Eastern "religion" sub-forum.
Please write to a top person an owner type person in charge...they won't see your vote here.
But, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality