Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times

Advertisements

Although I was born and raised a Theist I did undergo a period of about 20 years, during which I was basically an atheist. Without going into details as to why I returned to believing in God(swt), I feel I did undergo several noticeable changes.

1. Less desire to feel in control at all times.

2. Increased anticipation and desire of achieving a goal

3. More awareness of my fellow humans and deeper sense of caring

4. Increased awareness I am quite ignorant about many things.

5. A stronger feeling of Joy over common occurrences.

6. An appreciation for all of creation

Just some changes that I am aware of. Please share yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Although I was born and raised a Theist I did undergo a period of about 20 years, during which I was basically an atheist. Without going into details as to why I returned to believing in God(swt), I feel I did undergo several noticeable changes.

I say this in all seriousness, I have noticed those six changes in myself since becoming an atheist.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I say this in all seriousness, I have noticed those six changes in myself since becoming an atheist.
Peace Huff.

Hope all is well with you.

I do not doubt you and am certain you are serious. I've read enough of your posts to come to that conclusion.

Now you just brought up an interesting twist I did not anticipate. but, I am glad you did early in the thread.

Gives everybody a chance to think about more than one option.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Well, that was the firth though that popped into my head, but the thread was opened just for the theists to proclaim what God - belief hath done for them, not for atheists to say how achieving reason has transformed their life.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:21 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:

Since Woodrow was remembered with great fondness recently I thought I will add to this thread as CD requests I do. As a tribute to his memory:
1. Awareness that what I can control is only myself, my feelings, my thoughts and actions. That brings equanimity.
2. Working on my goals and achieving them comes with ease and this pleases me.
3. Gratitude for kindness and friendship shown to me.
4. Awe at how much I have learned with my studies, and how my learning has influenced my thoughts and behavior.
5. Appreciation for what has been given to me.
6. Less complaints.
Add yours in celebration of Woodrow’s life.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:47 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Since Woodrow was remembered with great fondness recently I thought I will add to this thread as CD requests I do. As a tribute to his memory:
1. Awareness that what I can control is only myself, my feelings, my thoughts and actions. That brings equanimity.
2. Working on my goals and achieving them comes with ease and this pleases me.
3. Gratitude for kindness and friendship shown to me.
4. Awe at how much I have learned with my studies, and how my learning has influenced my thoughts and behavior.
5. Appreciation for what has been given to me.
6. Less complaints.
Add yours in celebration of Woodrow’s life.
I was baffled to see a thread started by Woodrow LI appear as if just started, but upon having a look I see you resurrected this thread started a very long time ago. I had not yet found C-D when this thread was started, but I've seen much praise of Woodrow in this forum. Apparently well justified. I liked Heuff's first reply and Woodrow's response to that one too. Then to see a TRANSPONDER comment again is a pleasure. Interesting to note this thread didn't really end up going anywhere. I wonder why.

Otherwise, I can't really comment or answer the question much differently, since for me it's been more about the experience since I was a theist many decades ago. Since then becoming an atheist, but I am tempted to share Woodrow's list and yours as part of my own. Though I am not religious, the words of the Serenity prayer also strongly resonates for me, except for the references to God.

May I have "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference, living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; taking this world as it is and not as I would have it..."

Also, be kind to others.

Old 09-10-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I was baffled to see a thread started by Woodrow LI appear as if just started, but upon having a look I see you resurrected this thread started a very long time ago. I had not yet found C-D when this thread was started, but I've seen much praise of Woodrow in this forum. Apparently well justified. I liked Heuff's first reply and Woodrow's response to that one too. Then to see a TRANSPONDER comment again is a pleasure. Interesting to note this thread didn't really end up going anywhere. I wonder why.

Otherwise, I can't really comment or answer the question much differently, since for me it's been more about the experience since I was a theist many decades ago. Since then becoming an atheist, but I am tempted to share Woodrow's list and yours as part of my own. Though I am not religious, the words of the Serenity prayer also strongly resonates for me, except for the references to God.

May I have "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference, living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; taking this world as it is and not as I would have it..."

Also, be kind to others.
I was intrigued by what i read about a poster who is no longer with us. I was curious to read his thoughts and this surfaced. If it is not a locked thread CD invited you to update it. I thought it was an interesting thread in spite of Transponder’s predictable response.
The bolded in your post is thoughtful and a good personal philosophy.
And kindness, yes.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:

I can understand the other poster that stated they went through the same or similar changes when they became atheist. Especially if they were raised under rigid fundamentalist religious dogmatism, that can be oppressive. Seemingly a lot of rules that run counter to our nature, who we are, what we want and aspire to be, whilst having to 'obey' these rules. The judgment for not living within this rigid religious framework, will be severe and not exactly loving or good apparently. You're in it for the organization essentially, not yourself so to speak. By nature, this is something that runs fundamentally counter to my core.

So that all being said, I was never raised with religion and my parents really didn't broach the topics of theism or atheism growing up. I was on my own and I am actually grateful for that. It has afforded me the opportunity to chart my own path without any baggage. Some people just remain faithful to say a religion simply because it is how they 'grew' up and all they have ever known, so it becomes habit.

For those who are under such conditions who decide to break free of this, I can see how this can be liberating. For others however, it would be a scary thing and they are comforted by their religion and would have it no other way as they truly embrace and have faith in it. I respect them all as long it remains personal and not used as a tool of coercion.

So the topics of Atheism and Theism have become particularly interesting to me as of late. I've been pondering existence quite a bit. I have started delving into philosophical arguments and engaging them. Youtube video's, literature and of course this forum.

I wouldn't say this has made me a better person or human, but it has made me more curious and more open to possibility, so well maybe it has. This includes a greater fascination with science, particularly cosmology but also listening to and being open to those who believe in god. For me, any part that embraces the possibility of god is not linked to religion. I have never had an affiliation as I mentioned and I don't foresee needing that because any relationship with god I may have, would be on the most personal of levels shaped by my own experiences.

Thanks for creating this thread and sharing your experiences. They are noble and I am happy for you that your theistic enlightenment has transformed you into a better person with greater awareness. I am on a journey as well, I just don't know the side i'll move more towards as I am conflicted but who knows, maybe that will become more sharpened as time progresses.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:46 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I can understand the other poster that stated they went through the same or similar changes when they became atheist. Especially if they were raised under rigid fundamentalist religious dogmatism, that can be oppressive. Seemingly a lot of rules that run counter to our nature, who we are, what we want and aspire to be, whilst having to 'obey' these rules. The judgment for not living within this rigid religious framework, will be severe and not exactly loving or good apparently. You're in it for the organization essentially, not yourself so to speak. By nature, this is something that runs fundamentally counter to my core.

So that all being said, I was never raised with religion and my parents really didn't broach the topics of theism or atheism growing up. I was on my own and I am actually grateful for that. It has afforded me the opportunity to chart my own path without any baggage. Some people just remain faithful to say a religion simply because it is how they 'grew' up and all they have ever known, so it becomes habit.

For those who are under such conditions who decide to break free of this, I can see how this can be liberating. For others however, it would be a scary thing and they are comforted by their religion and would have it no other way as they truly embrace and have faith in it. I respect them all as long it remains personal and not used as a tool of coercion.

So the topics of Atheism and Theism have become particularly interesting to me as of late. I've been pondering existence quite a bit. I have started delving into philosophical arguments and engaging them. Youtube video's, literature and of course this forum.

I wouldn't say this has made me a better person or human, but it has made me more curious and more open to possibility, so well maybe it has. This includes a greater fascination with science, particularly cosmology but also listening to and being open to those who believe in god. For me, any part that embraces the possibility of god is not linked to religion. I have never had an affiliation as I mentioned and I don't foresee needing that because any relationship with god I may have, would be on the most personal of levels shaped by my own experiences.

Thanks for creating this thread and sharing your experiences. They are noble and I am happy for you that your theistic enlightenment has transformed you into a better person with greater awareness. I am on a journey as well, I just don't know the side i'll move more towards as I am conflicted but who knows, maybe that will become more sharpened as time progresses.
Woodrow passed away some time ago. Years ago I think.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Woodrow passed away some time ago. Years ago I think.
One can still thank him for having created this thread. The thread is still here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality