Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lantern View Post
The pyramids stood before the flood? Or are we getting this information from dating methods?
Many of us went to college, some of us paid attention.

Also, I went to the Smithsonian almost every weekend, for many years.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
The people that died didn't write anything. It was Noah's descendants that would write these flood traditions. Yet because of the incident at the Tower of Babel, they forgot the complete story, and thus this is why we have so many traditions.
Sorry but supporters of the flood fable have often played the "cultures across the globe" documented it as their proof, through out any thread where they attempt to validate an impossible event.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I watched most of "Waterworld", so I know a global flood is a possibility.
ha ha

lol

Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I think it is interesting that not once do any of the writers of the Old Testament or New Testament consider Noah or the flood to be a cute story not based on fact. I'll just quote the New Testament since it would be too many verses if the OT were quoted:

Mat_24:37 For even as the days of Noah, thus shall be the presence of the Son of Mankind."

Mat_24:38 For as they were in those days before the deluge, masticating and drinking and marrying and taking in marriage until the day on which Noah entered into the ark,

Luk_3:36 of Cainan, of Arphaxad, of Shem, of Noah, of Lamech,

Luk_17:26 And according as it occurred in the days of Noah, thus will it be in the days of the Son of Mankind also."

Luk_17:27 They ate, they drank, they married, they took out in marriage, until the day on which Noah entered into the ark, and the deluge came and destroys them all."

Heb_11:7 By faith Noah, being apprized concerning that which is not as yet being observed, being pious, constructs an ark for the salvation of his house, through which he condemns the world, and became an enjoyer of the allotment of the righteousness which accords with faith."

1Pe_3:20 He heralds to those once stubborn, when the patience of God awaited in the days of Noah while the ark was being constructed, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were brought safely through water,

2Pe_2:5 and spares not the ancient world, but guards Noah, an eighth, a herald of righteousness, bringing a deluge on the world of the irreverent;"

Here is an interesting article on the Grand Canyon proving a world-wide flood:

Evidence For Noah's Flood Presented

For the record I really do believe there was a world-wide flood.
So where is the geological evidence?

Geez you guys drive me nuts. The ONLY proof of ANYTHING is in the bible? Forget science?

Guess what? You people need to deal with science. BTW there is nothing in the teachings of Jesus that require you to believe or disbelieve in science.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
That would take a miracle. They didn't have camera's.
Well, those of us who accept science would expect evidence to be found in the geological record.

Silly us.....

Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
The people that died didn't write anything. It was Noah's descendants that would write these flood traditions. Yet because of the incident at the Tower of Babel, they forgot the complete story, and thus this is why we have so many traditions.
Well, that just explains it all.

Not only did God act like a neighborhood bully by knocking down the tower of Babel and confusing their speech, he wiped their memory card too!

Ok, that being the case, how do you know that the biblical accounts are the correct ones? Did they just go with the first story they heard when they sat down to write the bible?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
noahs flood was the great flood but there have been many

Ancient Greek flood myths - Religion-wiki

Greek mythology knows four floods, the sinking of Atlantis, the flood of Dardanus, the flood of Ogyges, and the flood of Deucalion. Two of these ended two of the Ages of Man: the Ogygian Deluge ended the Silver Age, and the flood of Deucalion ended the First Bronze Age (Heroic age).
In addition to these floods, greek mythology says the world was also periodically destroyed by fire. See Phaëton.

Five Suns - Religion-wiki

In the creation myths which were preserved by the Aztec and other Nahua peoples, the central tenet was that there had been four worlds, or "Suns", previous to the present universe. These earlier worlds and their inhabitants had been created, then destroyed by the catastrophic action of leading deity figures. The present world is the fifth sun

Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
noahs flood was the great flood but there have been many

Ancient Greek flood myths - Religion-wiki

Greek mythology knows four floods, the sinking of Atlantis, the flood of Dardanus, the flood of Ogyges, and the flood of Deucalion. Two of these ended two of the Ages of Man: the Ogygian Deluge ended the Silver Age, and the flood of Deucalion ended the First Bronze Age (Heroic age).
In addition to these floods, greek mythology says the world was also periodically destroyed by fire. See Phaëton.

Five Suns - Religion-wiki

In the creation myths which were preserved by the Aztec and other Nahua peoples, the central tenet was that there had been four worlds, or "Suns", previous to the present universe. These earlier worlds and their inhabitants had been created, then destroyed by the catastrophic action of leading deity figures. The present world is the fifth sun
Interesting read!

Am I correct in my assumption that you are the mod on that site?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
I was given privileges in recognition of all my contributions but hughes and friso are the actual administrators.

why do you ask?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
I was given privileges in recognition of all my contributions but hughes and friso are the actual administrators.

why do you ask?
Just curious that's all.

You know how us womenfolk are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality