Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 AM

257 posts, read 1,081,131 times

Advertisements

How much are you suppose to tithe? before or after taxes? Also, who do u give it too? If you have a church that u attend regularly it is easy to do, but if you don't? Where should u send it? who do u tithe too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 06:08 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
It's up to you. Some denominations have set guide lines about what should be done. Others think that it should be left up to the individual to decide.

As far as I am concerned, any charitible organization that does good work is better than a church that does very little.

There are always organizations like the Salvation Army, Good Will or the Humane Shelters that could use extra money. The Red Cross is another one.

When tithing was spoken of in the Bible, there wasn't things like withholding tax and social security. The tithe included all sorts of things like garden produce and live stock. It went to support the churches and help the unfortunates in the area. Give what you feel is right for you.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:41 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Malachi 3:10 "Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do says the Lord Almighty I will open the windows of Heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in, try it. Let me prove it to you".

This is the only place where God said to test Him and I have done that. I have tested Him in this and He was faithful to His promise. I have had more blessing than I can count since I started tithing. 10% is all he asked for. Since I belong to a church that is where I tithe.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
I tithe 10% at my church. Since you do not belong to a church, there are many organizations that could use your help. Padgett mentioned good ones but you can always check websites of local churches and see which organizations they contribute to. They usually have their own food drives also for the local shelters.

I think it's wonderful that you are thinking of how you can give back to the Lord.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
I posted a reply to a similar thread elsewhere on this forum and have reproduced it here for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I am a cheerful giver. I give what I can .. sometimes it's the full tithe, other times it's not. I know God understands, because he knows where I am financially and, more importantly, why I give and accepts it the same. God knows the difference between what I need and what I want, and always supplies what I need.

Giving a tithe (10%) to God is what he commanded under the old covenant (OT) as a show of faith and obedience to Him. Under the new covenant (through Jesus) we are still commanded to give to Him as a show of faith. If you give to Him what you can as a "cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7) he will bless you exceedingly (Malachi 3:8). If you give just to get, the Lord knows this and will not bestow blessings upon you; you're being selfish. You are to give without thought of reward. You give because He asks you to. You give of your time, of yourself and of your money so that His work can be done. What need does God have with money? Money given over (and used properly) in the name of the Lord goes to benefit those who have not.

Sure, God is all-powerful and can do anything, but what will that teach us believers, His children? It would be just like rich parents giving their child anything they want, without having the child have to do or sacrafice anything to get to it. They would become spoiled, want more and more and wouldn't value anything or appreciate anything or want to help anyone but themselves.

It's a lesson in faith. It builds faith. It shows us the value of our faith. It is an act of worship and obedience. This is my opinion and belief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
How much are you suppose to tithe? before or after taxes? Also, who do u give it too? If you have a church that u attend regularly it is easy to do, but if you don't? Where should u send it? who do u tithe too?
As to your specific questions a regular tithe is 10%. Now, pre or post tax is IMHO up to you. Our church "suggests" pre-tax, as that is your true earnings and you are to give the "first fruits" or best to God. As to who, without a church, to give to I would say charities, Catholic Services or Salvation Army, etc.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,835 times
Quote:
duet. 14:22-29
Tithes
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year's produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.
BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Deuteronomy 14;

leviticus 27
30 " 'A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD. 31 If a man redeems any of his tithe, he must add a fifth of the value to it. 32 The entire tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd's rod—will be holy to the LORD. 33 He must not pick out the good from the bad or make any substitution. If he does make a substitution, both the animal and its substitute become holy and cannot be redeemed.' " 34 These are the commands the LORD gave Moses on Mount Sinai for the Israelites.
BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Leviticus 27;

here is a website suggestion

1. Set your intention to tithe with God as your partner.

2. Decide to what organization or to whom you will be tithing - this will be the source of your spiritual teachings, meaning your church, mosque, synagogue, etc. For example, students of the Movement of Spiritual Inner Awareness (MSIA) would tithe to MSIA.

3. Calculate your tithe - this will be 10% of your increase. For example, 10% of your gross income. In some cases this can also be 10% of your net. Some people even like to start off with a smaller percentage and then gradually build up to the 10 per cent as they gain inner strength with this process. See Frequently Asked Questions in the What is Tithing section and tithing Success Stories for more information on how much to tithe.

4. Send your tithe to the source of your spiritual teachings. Bless it and let it go with joy and gratitude knowing that God is your partner.

5. Tithe consistently and enjoy the blessings of being a joyful giver.

6. Sign a Tithing Covenant between you and God. (Optional) Many tithers have found that it is helpful to make a long-term tithing agreement. For this purpose, MSIA provides a Tithing Covenant. This covenant is between you and God. Initiating and signing a Tithing Covenant can be a powerful step towards choosing God as your partner. See the Free Resources section of this site to download your Tithing Covenant.
Tithing.org - your source for online tithing

One thing you have to understand is that tithing was meant for food and not money.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:35 AM

74 posts, read 369,823 times
My husband and I tithe an amount that we have decided on ourselves after praying and talking with each other about. This is something between you and God, so you need to pray about what's right for you to give-- it's different for everyone (IMO).

Another thing you might also consider "tithing" is your time. You could volunteer for your church in a ministry or volunteer in your community, which is a great way to show the love of Christ to others. Our time is just as valuable to God as our money.

No matter what you tithe or how much you tithe, make sure your heart is in the right place and that you are doing it for the right reasons.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
Good question! In the strictest sense: you aren't "supposed" to tithe any set amount! Here's why:
Before you ask "how much to tithe", one should also ask "what exactly was the tithe", and "does the tithe apply to Christians today?"
Tithing a tenth of ones' increase was a law under the old covenant, to support the Levitical priesthood, since they did not have an ordinary income from farming, yet spent all their time ministering to everybody else. That was reasonable, and expected. But....what about us today?
NOWHERE in the New Testament does it say we are to "tithe" a tenth of our income. The one verse in the NT where Jesus says "that you ought to have done" (tithe) He was addressing scribes and pharisees (those still under the Law...the Old Covenant). With Christs' death on the cross, we are now all under the New Covenant. The book of Acts, and the Epistles, do not describe any "law" or doctrine of tithing, but do describe GIVING as being very common among the early Christians. The Bible says to give with a cheerful heart. (IMO, we ought to support those who minister to us with GIVING...whatever the Lord lays on your heart to give). But, I do not believe we should create a strict doctrinal law of tithing 10% like they had in the OT. We live under the New Covenant, let's abide by it and LEARN TO GIVE with a cheerful heart. (Note: There is NOTHING wrong with tithing 10% of your income, do so if you feel led of the Lord). But, I would not say a person is "sinning" if they did not tithe. Here's something to think about: under the Law, the old covenant, they were to give 10%. But we are under the new covenant...so it's a little different now. Does this mean we don't have to give anything? That we are "Scott free"? That we can keep all our earnings and blow it on frivolous stuff? No...read what the early Christians did in the Book of Acts: they often sold all they had and gave freely to others...to whoever had a need. (I'm not saying we ought to sell all we have and do exactly the same...I do say we ought to give to those who are desperately poor, and in need...) All too often people will tithe to some flashy TV minister, who already has millions and millions of $$$, while right next door is some impoverished person who goes totally ignored...
Think of it this way: perhaps the Lord is testing you...trusting you even, to do the right thing. For example: you might have to give MORE! What will you do if you pray and feel God wants you to give 100%....to support a new ministry for example. What would you do? It could happen...
Many churches make the OT tithe a "requirement", a doctrine, because they want your money. Why? For one thing: to pay for the construction and upkeep of expensive, lavish, church BUILDINGS...(which, by the way, are also not found in the New Testament). There is something to be said for the new "home church" groups, meeting in peoples homes. (Hmmm...just like they did in the NT...!)
Christ has given us MUCH liberty, yet some still want to live under the Law (the Old Covenant), to force the doctrine of tithing on everyone. If you WANT to, that's fine; there is nothing "wrong" with tithing a tenth of your income. But to tell eveyone "you gotta...it's required by the Bible...if you don't yer robbing God...if you don't you're not a good Christian, etc, etc" is not correct. It IS correct for modern day Christians to learn to GIVE, with a cheerful heart. Whether the amount you give is 10%, or more, or less, and who you give it to, is between you and God. Pray, and the Lord will lead you where you ought to give...

Bud

Old 09-05-2007, 02:21 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Default perfecting the "law"

Tithing..... one of the most talked about topics among Christians,with just as many opinions. Look beyond the 10% concept and think more "first fruits". I personally try not to see how "much" or "little" I give, but I do have a budget.

God tells us... test me in this, yup.... that's right, test Him.
Malachi 3:10-12 (NIV):

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

Money... how important is it? Well ... it keeps the rain out, my belly full and the AC running. It supplied my children with an education, pays for my vacations, keeps the lights on. My retirement is funded, car(s) paid for, in general money is necessary, and not just for stuff and things (guys have stuff... girls have things).

Good Christian Stewardship is the goal for money management, and tithing is part of that. Tithing is discipline. Jesus tells us that He did not come to abolish the law.... but to "perfect" the law. I'm not a fan of tithing.... because it obligates the believer to be a money counter, and creates an obligation to give and Jesus tells us do not give under complusion or obligation... but give cheerfully.

Tithing is legalism, under the new covenant, plain and simple. If we are gonna keep some of the law.... we must keep all the law. That is exactly what Paul tells us. If the legalistic mind says a "tithe'' is good , then more must be "better". To perfect the law, is to write it into your heart, not to increase the amount of money you give... BUT by faith we will increase our giving cheerfully. After all ....it's His anyway. I'm not there... I check my account .... more importantly is; I've learned that out of my commitment to give my tithe and offereings, I see God's work being accomplished.

Motion producing emotion = giving makes you happy

Bring your offerings and tithes to your home church. If you do not have a home church... just be a good steward, and please be careful about giving to those tele-vangilists.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:43 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
I tithe way above the 10% minimum and he Lord has proven to me, that when I give, Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

The Lord also doesn't want us to ignore our obligations and make sure that all of our bills are paid, so it's good practice to figure out your budget, and how much your net income after taxes and bills are paid, then take care of your tithes, which is also what I do. At the beginning of every month, I know how much my income will be (after taxes) and what my essential bills will add up to (electricity, water, gasoline, groceries, etc) and figure out my total tithes for the month, then split the total for the number of Sundays in the month, which can be 4 or 5. The ten percent is okay, but I go way above that as a way to show my appreciation for the way the Lord has blessed me, and not just financially, but in every possible aspect in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality