Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 AM

277 posts, read 373,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
The body of Christ in the local church is our family, just as our biological one,
In it we have meddlesome busybodies,gossipers,backbiters all alike, we don't make a practice of divorcing or alienating our natural families, and we 're not supposed to divorce ourselves from our Christian family, in fact we are commanded in the Word of God to "forsake not the assembling of ourselves"
together, and I guess this assembling could be in our homes if we had enough room, but it happens to be a local building with a capacity to hold numbers of
people according to Fire Regulations...It is still what some call "church"
I still prefer not to go. I can believe whatever way I like without being in a building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 PM

401 posts, read 685,454 times
Well I can tell you why I quit going. One I have really bad problems with my back and I never know when my back is going to give out.
Two I wasn't really getting fed any meat, just milk (1 Corinthians 3:2)
and I really crave the meat of the word, so I spend allot of time listening to Seminary Professors, and Stand to Reason on the internet instead.

They also had allot of sticky sweet messages that make you feel good but miss the core message of the Bible.

There were a few other things involving a church leader that I would rather not get into, I would put up with it if he were simply a member but I will not be taught by someone like that.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,535 times
I find myself wondering why people go to church. Do they feel an obligation? Do they feel a calling? Do they like the socializing? Do they yearn to learn? I can't image many worship services being able to provide everything for everybody. Jesus did much of His teaching and healing outside of the temple. The temple itself was a place to worship God. So that is how I view a worship service to be.
I too have served in many aspects of church. I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly...but we are all sinful and undeserving of God's love. Our church like many others deals with this struggle. It is not easy with so many personalities, perceptions, stages in life, and sinful egos to fill everyone's needs.
I view a church as more of a resource place to help us grow in our faith. Much of the teaching should come from the home. To expect a pastor and a few other paid staff members to teach all members everything is unrealistic. We have 1 full time staff person to every 300 members. I would much rather these staff members seek out the weak in faith, the poor and the least of the least rather than spend time and energy on me. Although, I must admit, it is a great burden lifted off of me with the convenience of Sunday School, Wednesday night religion and Senior High Bible study.
Volunteers are vital for this spiritual grow and it is truly sad to see others burn out, weaken to gossip, turn on those they loved, and ultimately storm away because of conflict (ego). I love our church and am saddened to see so many people leave for reasons that could have been avoided. I often hear, “We joined because we loved the music” or “we were inspired by the sermon” because again, this is a Worship Service not a Bible Study or an educational forum. This is why it is so important to trust God and listen for him as you begin to explore your faith. Look for a church with your values and beliefs. Never join a church because they make you feel good. For a lasting relationship (like other types of relationships) find a church similar to you basic faith and principles. Than ultimately, join because He calls you to it.
It is imperative as a Christian to involve yourself in church if your faith is weakened or you need the support of a church to help you guide your children into a faith relationship with Christ. Yes, volunteering is hard and relaxing is comfortable. Remember though, God will never lead you to something you can't handle, but others can. Know your limitations and express them. Know when it is time to step back and breath and trust that God will provide. Remember that God has blessed you with gifts and talents. Use them for His glory and not your own; use them for His good works and not the works of others. James 2:14-26

Last edited by Peaceful By Design; 04-28-2009 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: remove odd computer commands that appears

Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzippler View Post
Well I can tell you why I quit going. One I have really bad problems with my back and I never know when my back is going to give out.
Two I wasn't really getting fed any meat, just milk (1 Corinthians 3:2)
and I really crave the meat of the word, so I spend allot of time listening to Seminary Professors, and Stand to Reason on the internet instead.

They also had allot of sticky sweet messages that make you feel good but miss the core message of the Bible.

There were a few other things involving a church leader that I would rather not get into, I would put up with it if he were simply a member but I will not be taught by someone like that.

Have you considered maybe finding a church that provides good teaching and has leaders with more integrity?

Old 10-22-2021, 07:53 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
My son and his family eat, sleep, drink in their church. The only people who count in their lives are the church members that is their family. I wonder how many more years it will take him and them to get burnt out. I'm a Christian, but I try to use my life serving God by helping others regardless if they go to church or not.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:43 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
What do you all think of those who serve God in some large capacity, such as elder, pastor, teacher, etc, who do a great job for awhile, in some cases years...they're greatly respected, etc...and then they just up and quit, sometimes even leaving the church? I know of an elder who served in a church for years, then he just quit and no longer goes to any church. Another elder I know did well for awhile, but also no longer goes to any church. I know of two pastors who also served for years, then they just quit, the one no longer goes to any church, the other is just a regular churchgoer...doesn't serve in the leadership anymore. They didn't retire...they are all in the 30-60 yr old range....they just kinda "struggled, fizzled out, then quit"...
Could it be that sometimes people try to serve where they really didn't have a calling of God in the first place?
This is an old thread, but to answer the OP, I think that is undoubtedly true in many cases.

Quote:
Do you think that "once called, always called", applies with reference to God calling people into the ministry?
I don't think God rescinds his gifts, and pastor/teacher is a spiritual gift according to Ephesians 4:11. A person might come to choose not to use his spiritual gift but that doesn't mean that God revoked the gift.

Quote:
Can you be a "temporary" pastor, elder, etc...in God's eyes? Do you think they just went where God was not leading? Just wondering...

Bud
As stated above, I think that if you've been given a certain spiritual gift, whatever that gift is, you have it permanently whether or not you choose to use it. And some people may try to function in the church in a position for which they were never called.

Ooops, I thought I was in the Christianity forum. How did I get over here into the Religion forum?

Old 10-23-2021, 02:20 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
What do you all think of those who serve God in some large capacity, such as elder, pastor, teacher, etc, who do a great job for awhile, in some cases years...they're greatly respected, etc...and then they just up and quit, sometimes even leaving the church? I know of an elder who served in a church for years, then he just quit and no longer goes to any church. Another elder I know did well for awhile, but also no longer goes to any church. I know of two pastors who also served for years, then they just quit, the one no longer goes to any church, the other is just a regular churchgoer...doesn't serve in the leadership anymore. They didn't retire...they are all in the 30-60 yr old range....they just kinda "struggled, fizzled out, then quit"...
Could it be that sometimes people try to serve where they really didn't have a calling of God in the first place? Do you think that "once called, always called", applies with reference to God calling people into the ministry? Can you be a "temporary" pastor, elder, etc...in God's eyes? Do you think they just went where God was not leading? Just wondering...Bud
As we get closer to the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14 we will find ' religious waters ' (aka people - Rev. 17:1,15) will dry up spiritually.
People having a form of spiritually but prove false - 2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13.
Just as Jesus said MANY would come in his name but prove false - Matthew 7:21-23.
At the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth (Matthew 25:31-33,37) only the figurative humble 'sheep' will be saved.
'Saved/delivered/rescued' through the coming great tribulation to be here on Earth to see calendar Day One of Jesus' coming thousand-year governmental reign over Earth.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:16 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Could it be that sometimes people try to serve where they really didn't have a calling of God in the first place? Do you think that "once called, always called", applies with reference to God calling people into the ministry? Can you be a "temporary" pastor, elder, etc...in God's eyes? Do you think they just went where God was not leading? Just wondering...

Bud

"There are many, that are called
But there are few
That are chosen".

Bud, you have no idea, how much pressure those folks have behind the closed doors. Inner politics inside church leaderships will dwarf those of politics of the world. Nice and pleasant church goers turn into ferocious beats in privacy and behind the closed doors. Rumors, gossiping, fight for power, siding and conspiring is normal life.
And what is forgotten is that god does not really care, if you were an elder or a regular sunday goer. What appeals to god is not, where you are in hierarchy. But, what is in your heart. And what is in your heart is in the best temple and church of them all.

And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 5 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.…

Go to your heart and connect there. All outer is for the people and pride and hypocrisy.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:28 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
"There are many, that are called
But there are few
That are chosen".

Bud, you have no idea, how much pressure those folks have behind the closed doors. Inner politics inside church leaderships will dwarf those of politics of the world. Nice and pleasant church goers turn into ferocious beats in privacy and behind the closed doors. Rumors, gossiping, fight for power, siding and conspiring is normal life.
And what is forgotten is that god does not really care, if you were an elder or a regular sunday goer. What appeals to god is not, where you are in hierarchy. But, what is in your heart. And what is in your heart is in the best temple and church of them all.

And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 5 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.…

Go to your heart and connect there. All outer is for the people and pride and hypocrisy.
In part why the first thought that came to my mind when I read the OP is why/how people choose to serve in the first place and/or last as long as they do. Certainly not an issue exclusive to serving as a religious leader either. Get involved in any pursuit having to do with helping others, and the challenges very often lead to "burnout" that will eventually bring just about anyone down.

While I can appreciate the suggestion to "go to your heart" as well, for many people it is the connection with other people, helping other people, that their "heart" guides them toward doing. "People are different" as my daughter is famous around here for noting at a very young age. There is no "one-size-fits-all" way to address these sorts of challenges. "Whatever works" as me and many others like to say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality