Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:04 AM

82 posts, read 305,828 times

Advertisements

where do you creationists imagine this garden of eden is located? we have explored every corner of the globe and have satellite tracking, yet no evidence of such a place on this planet.
I myself believe the "eden" story is merely a metaphor, but for you literalists, how do you explain this gardens absence. perhaps its located on another world?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:36 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,914,459 times
Not sure...the Euphrates River are earthly boarders...but obviously if that is the location it's not the same as it was. The bible says that angels where put at the entrance to guard it. Perhaps it's there but hidden from view?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,754,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Not sure...the Euphrates River are earthly boarders...but obviously if that is the location it's not the same as it was. The bible says that angels where put at the entrance to guard it. Perhaps it's there but hidden from view?
that has always been my thinking also, that angels..which we cant see..are guarding it from entrace and from where it is at..IMHO

Old 07-30-2007, 09:46 AM

180 posts, read 958,176 times
If I subscribed to the christian religion and considered the Holy Bible to be all truth, then I would naturally conclude that it was destroyed and lost in the great flood.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:58 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,212,758 times
Have you done a Google search for 'Location of the Garden of Eden'? There are tons of references as to what people believe about the location.

I found this one interesting
The Garden of Eden

Old 07-30-2007, 10:16 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,207,457 times
Wouldn't the garden, like anything that existed back then, now be covered up by dirt and sand?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,863,005 times
Default Some recent discoveries

I'm not sure if this has been verified... and I myself have not read the material... however recent discoveries about global warming/cooling patterns suggest Eden may have been located in the delta region of the Tigrus Euphraties River system.

As I recall... it is suggested the changing ocean levels would have covered up this area.
I'm sorry I can't elaborate more... I just don't know.

As a Christian however ... the important, essential doctrines of the church are not dependent on how "I" understand creation and the Garden of Eden. How ever I do believe the account in the Bible is true, and cannot be explained with finite thinking. Some call it blind, some call it faith. I do know that the beliefs of the world and the word of God... will one day merge and absolute truth will be reveled. That probably won't happen during an archaological dig in the desert. There are lots of things I believe about the earth, that is not explained in the Bible, and especially the account of creation. Even so.... I know God is truth and would never lie or deceive me, so the failing in understanding is mine.

As a yound man... I was reminded that not everything needs to be explained and understood, or seen. Can't see radio waves... can't explain photo synthesis.... lots of stuff is faith based. If we knew everything ( remember the tree of life?) then we would attempt to elevate ourselves as gods. Think about this... how do teenagers act when they think they know it all!... well that would be us.

Remember God does not want anyone to check their brain at the door... He wants all of us to be seekers and use scripture to "reproof" those that claim new discoveries.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,797,734 times
Arrow Garden of Eden -- we'll never find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post
where do you creationists imagine this garden of eden is located? we have explored every corner of the globe and have satellite tracking, yet no evidence of such a place on this planet.
I myself believe the "eden" story is merely a metaphor, but for you literalists, how do you explain this gardens absence. perhaps its located on another world?
This is my belief: The Garden of Eden was destroyed with the rest of the world during Noah's flood. Let me explain my reasoning. This is a quick and dirty explanation, not as much detail as I would like to provide. Don't want to write a book.

God created the Garden of Eden when he first created everything. He placed Adam and Eve in it, and then kicked them out. He placed angles with the firey sword at the entrace to keep them out. It never said it disappeard or vanished.

However, after many generations, God did decide to destroy His creation, except for those on the ark. God flooded the world for over a year, then the waters receded. When the waters receded the world was much different than when Noah, his family and all the creatures entered the ark.

IMO, there was a supercontinent on earth when God created our planet (See Genesis 1:10-11) and during the flood the supercontinent broke up (fountains of the deep - continental drift) and changed and became the land forms we see today.

So when Noah exited the ark, things did not look as they did before. However, he named things after familiar things/places from before the flood. Kind of like how immigrants from Europe came to America and named towns here for towns in their homelands. So the Tigirs and Euphrates rivers of today are not, IMO, two of the four original rivers that flowed from the Garden of Eden. But because they existed before the flood, Noah knew of them and named the new rivers he came upon the same name because they did exist.

As the rivers existed, so did the Garden. As the Garden existed, so did Adam. As Adam existed, so does Jesus. The Bible is truth, from beginning to end.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,797,734 times
And here's some links to enlighten you also:

Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics

- The True.Origin Archive -

Institute for Creation Research - A Christ-Focused Creation Ministry

Old 07-30-2007, 01:22 PM

564 posts, read 1,903,003 times
There are billions of minds that have been contemplating these things, yet we continue to have the debate.

I think its only reasonable that we can have mutual respect for each other as human beings.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-30-2007 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: orpahaned content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.