Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:31 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,244,043 times

Advertisements

Really! There is no True Religion. They contain kernels of truth, but one can find them elsewhere without all the metaphysical trappings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 PM

8,002 posts, read 12,313,277 times
Message from June and Miss Blue:

This is the main Religion and Philosophy forum.

Anyone can post an OP here. That is according to the Terms of Service.

What is NOT according to the Terms of Service are rude, sarcastic, and downright nasty posts. It is your choice if you wish to post on Muslim threads, but bear in mind the fact that in the future, rude/sarcastic/nasty posts will not merely be deleted, they will be infracted.

If you don't wish to be infracted, then only post on threads where you can contribute something constructive. The moderators did not make the "rules" we are merely here to uphold them. And that means that anyone can post here. What it also means is that members cannot demean others or their religious beliefs.

Infractions will be issued from this point on in these types of threads. Nothing personal, just the mods deciding that we will NOT close down such threads merely because members wish to condescend them. Given the fact that this is the "Religion and Philosophy" main forum, that means that ANY religion and/or religious belief is allowed to post and create threads here.

Thank you,

June and Miss Blue

Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,910,786 times
Exclusive, you never quite answered my question.

Are there any particular verses in the Quran, other than 4:34, that are especially meaningful to you?

For example, Christians at sporting events often hold up a sign with 'John 3:16' on it because that single passage in their bible is so important to them.

What single passages in the Quran are most important to you?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM

563 posts, read 931,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I've read portions of the Quran, just like I've read portions of the bible.

I'm still happily agnostic and I highly doubt that reading either book in it's entirety would change my mind.
Me, too.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Exclusive, you never quite answered my question.

Are there any particular verses in the Quran, other than 4:34, that are especially meaningful to you?

For example, Christians at sporting events often hold up a sign with 'John 3:16' on it because that single passage in their bible is so important to them.

What single passages in the Quran are most important to you?
Forgive me hiker45, you know I do respect you, but why the focus on 4:34? One can pick difficult verses out of most religious books. It's not a verse Muslims focus on, unlike Christians with John 3:16. I do agree with your choice of the Sermon on the Mount. My very favorite from the Bible is the Good Samaritan story.

The "Ali" translation of the Qur'an is probably the smoothest translation of Surah 4, but if you are seriously wondering about what to draw out of the book to be of some type of personal benefit, I personally find Surah 1 to be the best. Actually, they could just end the Qur'an there, and I'd be fine.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,153,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusive4allah View Post
ٌٌٌٌRead this and you will know what is the true religion

Download The Holy Quran [Free] - English | French | German | Russian | Chinese | Spanish | Greek | Indonesian

Just read
I swear this will change your life
Well it didn't change my life.

It did cure my constipation however, so I guess that could be a small miracle.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,947,478 times
Default OK: here's some honest questions.

Question to the OP: do you feel there is a necessity within each of us to embrace and practice a particular religion?

And then: If so, why do you then feel Islam is that religion, versus any other religion?

Finally: Why do you feel Islam is necessary in a person's life? Alternately, can we not happily get along without any religion? Without any organized spiritual activities?

My personal feelings? I enjoy and embrace the absence of religion in my life. It allows me total intellectual freedom, the ability to explore anything I choose to think about without censure, disciplinary action or cultural ostracism (which means: your fellow congregation denounces you in private and public for having "impure thoughts". An unpleasant experience indeed, would you not agree!).

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful answers!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,175,397 times
Shahbaz Bhatti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the treatment of non islamic people....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib9rofXQl6w

I suggest everyone should read the quran!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
My personal feelings? I enjoy and embrace the absence of religion in my life. It allows me total intellectual freedom, the ability to explore anything I choose to think about without censure, disciplinary action or cultural ostracism (which means: your fellow congregation denounces you in private and public for having "impure thoughts".
You're my hero here. This is fast becoming my philosophy, too. But, dang, it's so hard peeling off years of indoctrination! I think humans have come up with so many bizarre religious ideas that people don't even question things that do not make reasonable sense.

Last edited by WonderingWanderer; 03-03-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I suggest everyone should read the quran!
Here's a different view, that video was propoganda.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality