Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:51 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times

Advertisements

Hummmmm, I meditate on a regular basis, not for understanding, power, vision nor to try to get in touch with any fallacious diety,... just to calm myself down. It works wonders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 04:09 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hummmmm, I meditate on a regular basis, not for understanding, power, vision nor to try to get in touch with any fallacious diety,... just to calm myself down. It works wonders.
I don't do it to get in touch with a fallacious deity either.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:19 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
I am not a Christian but a Jew. I meditate, I see G-d in everything and everywere. One does not need a building to be connected to G-d. I am connected spiritually to G-d and to my people. I pray alone and in my community. In Judaism there are certain prayers that can only be said in a minyan (10 or more people). We are a communal people. To be Jewish is to be part of a family. My Jewish family spans the globe and whether religious or not religious we are all connected.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:29 PM

4,858 posts, read 454,012 times
Christian here. Officially Presbyterian-USA, but lapsed. Unofficially Episcopalian, now.
Meditation? Never a bad idea. Mostly, I practice and nourish an awareness of the Presence of The Almighty, whatever I might find myself doing. It provides comfort, serenity. There are many times I ask for guidance. But that is not to say that I put my brain and heart and spirit on "hold" while I wait for a reply.

When I go to church, the whole idea is to come together as a congregation. LOTS of words are the way to go. But not when I'm alone. I most often do not even need words. Not even words formulated as thoughts. Just a picture, or the image of the cross will do it for me. Where I live, we have a stinky view of the parking lot. But we have a "cut-out" view between buildings, and the centerpiece is a gorgeous steeple. It's lovely to see it, whenever it comes into view.

Old 04-01-2023, 06:18 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Simply meditate as a form of "worship" or as a method of communing with your concept of God or of the Creator?

Although I consider myself Christian, and follow many of the tenets of the Christian faith, I also follow some elements of my ndn heritage........smoke as a blessing or petition, white sage and sweetgrass smudge among them.

But the fundamental element of all my spiritual practice is to do as Matthew 6: 5-8 says do:

I have to note that I do not recall Jesus ever "going into a room and closing the door" but instead he went out alone into nature....the Garden of Gethsemane, the wilderness, etc. And this is where I, too, go. A walk in the woods, a period of quiet solitude, with the presence of the creator all around me.

And in maintaining the lesson taught by Jesus as stated above, I refuse to pray in public (in front of other people) such as a prayer before a meal, a promise to "pray for you" (effectively, in my mind, a form of bragging). Although I do some charitable efforts, I do so in complete anonymity unless it is to get someone else to participate (such as adopting an abandoned animal).

But the focal point of my spiritual life is in those quiet times, in the woods and prairies where I meditate/pray.....without religious dogma or trappings.

And I was wondering how many others use this as a significant part of your spiritual life........
Praying does not have to be a public spectacle for others, it can just be for oneself even when done in public. I dont quite get this praying in secret, as if it is a bad thing. Praying is between you and the Divinity that is everywhere, there is no secret place.
I am Hindu and we rarely go to the temple. When i do go i like the elaborate worship that the priests do, the names by which the Divinity is addressed, the mages it creates in my mind. It creates a sense of majesty and also a personal intimate space within me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality