Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:54 AM

48 posts, read 53,976 times

Advertisements

It appears God-worshipers themselves don't know for sure what it is. All they can say about it is "it's not good".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid235 View Post
It appears God-worshipers themselves don't know for sure what it is. All they can say about it is "it's not good".
Supernatural = Not real, so since it's not real, it can be imagined as anything at all, or as in my case nothing at all.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:46 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Well, from what I have been told, it's only to eternally burn the people, who go on, and on, and on, and on, on internet forums, critical of those who believe in it, rather than just critical of the concept itself.

I don't know if that's true or not...but I would suggest taking a "Pascal's Wager" approach to it.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:23 PM

285 posts, read 297,892 times
Quote:
It is wrong we think hell is a spiritual place and its fire burn human soul. also it is wrong we think heaven is a spiritual place as well and humans' soul go there and enjoy from imagine views and eat from imagine foods and fruits.
when human is revived in the future he is not just a soul rather he is a total human by material body as we are now. also heaven and hell are both two material places

Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Don't know
They argue about it like a couple of kids arguing about who's daddy can whip the others daddy.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
How torture is compatible with a loving, just God is beyond me.

That people can will that on a fellow human being just astounds me, it really does. They seem like aliens to me, if not devils.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,043 times
Yes - the concept of an afterlife that involves eternal torture does not match with the concept of God's Justice as revealed in the Old Testament, at least - which is why you won't find such an idea in it. The 1st Century Christians and thus, the New Testament, were heir to later ideas (post-canonical-Biblical: both Jewish and Greek) that posited an afterlife, and later an eternal afterlife of puishment for sinners.

This was a big break with the Bible's portrayal of God and his justice.

It became a potent tool for keeping people in line, but it shouldn't really be seriously countenanced by anyone who has done a little research into the evolution of the idea of "hell" and "hellfire". For this example, the concept of Sheol (the biblical term for the place where all mortals ended up when they died - whether good or evil) is much more appealing; but this older Biblical idea does away with the concept of "Heaven" and "Paradise" (basically, the concept of reward or punishment after death) - so I imagine it's better for some to retain the concept of Hell, as long as they are guaranteed Heaven instead heh heh!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well, from what I have been told, it's only to eternally burn the people, who go on, and on, and on, and on, on internet forums, critical of those who believe in it, rather than just critical of the concept itself.

I don't know if that's true or not...but I would suggest taking a "Pascal's Wager" approach to it.
In which case you should turn Muslim, since Allah seems a tad more dangerous to cross - up than Jesus.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:51 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
In which case you should turn Muslim, since Allah seems a tad more dangerous to cross - up than Jesus.
Nah...I'm not worried about any of that Awk.

You must have forgotten about this post by me:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/15438196-post35.html

Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How torture is compatible with a loving, just God is beyond me.

That people can will that on a fellow human being just astounds me, it really does. They seem like aliens to me, if not devils.
What is really scary are the people who believe this Hell place exists, and believe they will not begoing there. They seem to take a certain amount of pleasure in the fact that people they dont like or think should go there, will suffer for an eternity. It says a lot about the character of some of the people who ascribe to the idea of hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality