Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 02:09 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,708,340 times

Advertisements

I heard an argument that real/true Catholics are suppose to believe the earth is flat? If Catholics believe the earth is round then, they are not conforming to Catholic doctrine. OK, I know it sounds strange, but has anyone heard this, or can anyone elaborate..??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 02:15 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,462,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I heard an argument that real/true Catholics are suppose to believe the earth is flat? If Catholics believe the earth is round then, they are not conforming to Catholic doctrine. OK, I know it sounds strange, but has anyone heard this, or can anyone elaborate..??
Not a chance.
The word "world, in Hebrew is tebel, " and is from the Hebrew root elements which mean "to swell". We also get the word "ball" from the "BL" root elements; and balloon, and bulb, and so on and so forth.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:06 PM

360 posts, read 444,974 times
Not at all! I don't know where on Earth you heard that, but it is definitely not true. I mean really, this is obvious. You coulda looked it up instead of jumping to conclusions and thinking that's what we really believe.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,465,923 times
Quote:
Not any of the nuns that taught me. I think you are referring to a time WAY back in the midsts of time (1615?) when Galieo proved the theory that the world was round and that it revolved around the Sun rather than the other way around. He was admonished/censored not to teach this until he had proof - but once Pope Urban VIII asked him to write a study containing both heliocentrism and geocentrism, he agreed. But acting spiteful, he wrote a book far different - Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems. For this he was called a heretic and placed under house arrest (1632). It did actually take them to 1992 to officially apologize to him (what's 300 years???!!) - but I can assure you that in Catholic Schools - we were aware of the Earth's rotation and the fact that it was indeed round!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 PM

360 posts, read 444,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Not any of the nuns that taught me. I think you are referring to a time WAY back in the midsts of time (1615?) when Galieo proved the theory that the world was round and that it revolved around the Sun rather than the other way around. He was admonished/censored not to teach this until he had proof - but once Pope Urban VIII asked him to write a study containing both heliocentrism and geocentrism, he agreed. But acting spiteful, he wrote a book far different - Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems. For this he was called a heretic and placed under house arrest (1632). It did actually take them to 1992 to officially apologize to him (what's 300 years???!!) - but I can assure you that in Catholic Schools - we were aware of the Earth's rotation and the fact that it was indeed round!
Almost forgot that, yeah. It was the tendency of Church leaders way back when to accept the scientific teachings of those before the Dark Ages (Greek scientists and such). Since then we have discovered the situation is quite different.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:26 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,591,501 times
Neither side on the Galileo issue believed in a flat Earth. Most of the educated class among Catholics had stopped believing in that around the eighth century. Thomas Aquinas refers to the Earth as a sphere in the Summa.

Possibly what the poster is thinking of is geocentrism. Robert Sungenis of Catholic Apologetics International is a Creationist who believes in geocentrism. He at least seems to imply that rejecting geocentrism is atheistic or at least un-Catholic. Mr. Sungenis is something of a controversial figure though and has no actual position in the faith so far as I can tell.

http://www.catholicintl.com/articles/Answer_to_Alec_MacAndrew_on_Geocentrism.pdf (broken link)
Amazon.com: Galileo Was Wrong: The Church Was Right (9780977964000): Robert A. Sungenis, Robert J. Bennett: Books

One Gallup poll indicated 18% of US people and 19% of the British answered that "the Sun revolves around the Earth" when asked. Another researcher seemed to confirm that, at least of Americans.

New Poll Gauges Americans' General Knowledge Levels
NWU Medical School - Department of Cell and Molecular Biology (http://www.cmb.northwestern.edu/faculty/jon_miller.htm - broken link)

Now in some sense it is true the Sun revolves around the Earth. In that the Earth's gravity causes a, very minute I believe, wobble on the Sun. Also if you fiddle with geometry and relativity a bit you can justify saying the Sun revolves around the Earth. For most practical purposes it doesn't and I think since the nineteenth century very few Catholics have been taught the geocentric model.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,636,404 times
Quote:
Total B.S.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:39 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,566,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by putanginaniyo View Post
That is what is wrong with people. Stereotyping. I am guilty of one. I am a Catholic, I never was raised to believe the earth was flat since there are evidence of REAL pics of earth from space and it isn't flat.
But if you had lived a couple of thousand years ago, you would have. It is only the irrefutable evidence that has rewritten the nonsensical science in the book of fables, and as more is proven, more of the nonsense will be discarded. And if we don't destroy ourselves in an orgy of religious based hatred, we will eventually discard religion completely as merely a myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by putanginaniyo View Post
I believe in the creation of all living things but I am not a creationist. I am a Catholic. I have not gone to church for a long time now though or even practice Catholic 'chores'. Evolution and dinosaurs is a joke to me mainly because atheist scientists are using it as 'evidence' that there is no God. It comes of as beyond blasphemous to me.
You really sound like you don't really know what you think, but that you have an agenda, but your statements verify you come up short on facts. There are many christian scientists that also support evolution due to the overwhelming amount of evidence, that that includes catholics. And clearly your ignorance of Atheists is, well glaring, and speaks poorly for you.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,812,862 times
I'm afraid the rumor is true dude. All Catholics believe the world is flat.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,591,501 times
I think Jason was making some odd joke.

That said Collins accepts evolution so far as I know. Most of the Christians in science do, but I grant there are exceptions. Henry F. Schaeffer III has won some chemistry awards and is an Intelligent Design advocate. There are a few other ID advocates with fair to okay credentials. Although most ID advocates do believe in a Universe billions of years old where species alter over time. However they indicate "evolution" involved divine intervention and was intended to produce people or some such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality