Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 08:15 AM

181 posts, read 82,511 times

Advertisements

I am at about 50/50

Also indicate if M or F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 08:45 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,386,080 times
15/85

Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 AM

20,427 posts, read 14,745,069 times
Some of my connections, there wasn't enough of a relationship thing for anybody to break up with anybody. Sometimes we just mutually drifted in different directions and nobody broke up with anybody else or it was a mutual choice so no one was getting dumped.

2 partners have "dumped" me.
I have "dumped" 17 partners.

I guess.

I don't really like the term "dumped." It implies the kind of immature and hurtful end of a relationship where someone breaks someone else's heart. But I counted any where one person definitively made a statement to end the relationship. I'm still quite good friends with some of the people I broke up with, and in at least some of my more recent situations I told them that I did not want to be a girlfriend to them anymore for whatever reasons I had at the time, but I wanted to be close friends, family-like, and I've been able to maintain that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I am female.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:20 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,887,654 times
Just one, I asked for a divorce.
The rest, there was no ceremony of dump. When it’s not working it’s not.
I’m a Female.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:21 AM

2,066 posts, read 904,980 times
Male, and I don't know. I want to say I dump 60% vs 40% dumped. But most of my relationships just fizzle out leaving no necessity for one or the other to say "I break with thee". They just sorta end organically with no harsh feelings (usually remaining friends of social media, for example).

Old 08-29-2019, 09:25 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,804,125 times
I've probably been dumped 80% of the time. Not good. That said, the last 2 I dumped. I think its because I finally know what I want and won't put up with being walked on. Most of the other times the relationship was bad for an extended period of time (a year or so) and they ended it. I've tended to stay in relationships that weren't working for too long.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:55 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,419,481 times
What counts as being dumped? Someone who doesn't get a call after the first date or someone who is dumped in a real relationship that has lasted at least 3 months?

Old 08-29-2019, 10:08 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,632,283 times
EThe word about "dumping" doesn't bode well in my mind ib this context. I'd like to feel that I didn't "dump" anyone and wish to think I wasn't dumped that time when my ex (and first) GF was the one who broke up with me, though it definitely felt that way and it took me a few days to start feeling like I was "dumped" and this feeling got strongly entrenched for the next whole month. Today I somehow don't think so, or I rather don't care or overthink about it much. I can only hope that women think the same (women that I broke up with).

With that being said, I was the one who broke up every relationship that ended in my past, except my very first relationship. I am male, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What counts as being dumped? Someone who doesn't get a call after the first date or someone who is dumped in a real relationship that has lasted at least 3 months?
Bold part - that's generally a rejection, definitely not a breakup. Sometimes people do it before either person gets the chance to know even the most basic insights about each other and it's important to always have an exit strategy when you either feel like it's going to happen or when it in fact does happen (some people don't happen to realize that it even happened).

Last edited by nald; 08-29-2019 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-29-2019, 10:20 AM

20,427 posts, read 14,745,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I had to think about the verbiage thing, a bit, too.

I decided to count every one where someone had to make a definitive statement ending the connection. Have that uncomfortable conversation, featuring such classics as:

- I think we should see other people.
- This isn't working out.
- I can't keep doing this. I am done.
- I think you need to move out of my place.
- I am in love with someone else.
- I'm going to need my Star Trek DVDs back. You cannot keep them.
- No, I don't want to have sex once more, "For old times' sake."
- I hereby banish thee back to the Hell from whence you came! BEGONE.
- Through dangers untold and harships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that you have stolen, for my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom as great -- You have no power over me!

...etc.

Particularly where at least one person involved had some kind of clear expectation that it was a relationship, whether that was reasonable or not.

Among the 17 I counted that I "broke up with"...were some boys from my high school days who assumed despite being clearly told otherwise, that I was their girlfriend simply because we'd been sleeping together. And when I tried to set them straight, would not accept that I wasn't interested in a relationship, and I wound up just telling them I didn't want to see them anymore because clearly our expectations did not align.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:57 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,038,788 times
I dumped more. Actually I would say I dumped 90% until I got out of my marriage. Things changed, I got dumped a few times since then. It hit me hard even when I wasn't totally in love and/or saw it coming. A huge blow to my ego. No bueno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships