Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 02:41 PM

426 posts, read 372,174 times

Advertisements

I want to take the time and ask the city data members who are currently in a relationship or married and ask what makes your relationship successful?
Do you both agree on the same things?
Are you guys sexually compatitible?
Do you guys get along?
Do you find your partner attracted both physically and mentally?
What do you both do that makes your relationship or marriage successful ? And what advise would you give others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 04:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,253,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSparks View Post
I want to take the time and ask the city data members who are currently in a relationship or married and ask what makes your relationship successful?
Do you guys get along?
What do you both do that makes your relationship or marriage successful ? And what advise would you give others?
Do you both agree on the same things? Sometimes, but not always since we are individuals.

Are you guys sexually compatitible? Yes

Do you guys get along? Most of the time, but there are disagreements from time to time.

Do you find your partner attracted both physically and mentally? Yes.

Advice? Don't sweat the small stuff. There are things that are worth arguing over, and things that really don't matter in the long run so choose your battles wisely.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,397,712 times
Do you both agree on the same things? We are often in agreement on big and important issues related to our values, what's important to us, and how we want to live.

Are you guys sexually compatitible? Yes--if after 30 plus years we weren't it would be a problem.

Do you guys get along?

Both of us are generally easy going and can overlook a lot of small things that would irritate others. We spend A LOT of time together since we both work from home. There will be times I don't see another person for a week if I'm super busy. We just spent 2 weeks in a hotel room--working during the day and leaving in the afternoon. It occurred to me at some point that many couples couldn't be together for 2 entire weeks in a space that size.

Do you find your partner attracted both physically and mentally? Yes--both.

Success--we put time into it and don't take it for granted. We learned that it doesn't work to not put effort into it. (I hate to call it "work" as that has negative connotations at times. It's happy effort.) We talk through hard stuff. We don't let resentment or anger build up. We don't always agree, but we both do compromise. We both forgive. We both appreciate the other and say thank you frequently.

I'll also add that as parents to 2 kids, we didn't always agree, but we tried not to undercut each other in front of the kids. If there was a parenting disagreement we talked about it privately. Since marriage often involves children I think this is important.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:34 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,940,992 times
Quote:
I think we agree on important things such as financial habits/priorities as well as religious matters. The things we don't agree on (can't even think of one right now) aren't very significant.

Quote:
Don't know. We're waiting until marriage.

Quote:
Do you guys get along?
Mostly. We have our arguments, but they don't last long. We make up quickly, and they're not frequent. Also, there is a lot of stress going on right now because of a certain situation; so taking that into consideration, we get along really well.

Quote:
Yes. We don't have the same sense of humour which I find to be annoying sometimes, but at least communication is there. My last relationship suffered a lot from poor communication (but the humour was perfect!); well, there'll always be negatives.

Quote:
I'm not sure, but we do have our share of rough times; though I think the stressful situation has something to do with it. I think the most important advice for a successful relationship is that someone usually has to give more than the other. In my experience there is no such thing as a perfect relationship, and compromising is important. If both people are strong-willed, there is a good chance the relationship will not survive because both will be too demanding of each other.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,221,710 times
Do you both agree on the same things?I'm not sure how to answer that. Do we agree on everything? No. We have 2 different kinds of peanut butter and 2 different kinds of salsa. He likes guns. I hate them. But we agree on the big things - how to handle our finances, which house to buy, having children, etc. And the big things that we don't initially see eye to eye on, we talk things through until we come to a place that we are both happy.
Are you guys sexually compatitible? Hell yeah!!!
Do you guys get along? Of course. We lived in a 300 sq foot studio apartment for years and slept in a twin bed. I'm happier just being around him.
Do you find your partner attracted both physically and mentally?Hell yeah!
What do you both do that makes your relationship or marriage successful ? And what advise would you give others? Hmmm... Make sure you marry the right person in the first place. Don't think that getting married will make your doubts go away. Don't have children to save a relationship. From what I can see, the couples that had children that weren't rock solid to begin with often didn't make it. Communication is key. My husband and I tell each other everything. We are there for each other. We know each other inside and out. He's my best friend. Don't settle for anything less.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,922,086 times
We don't agree on everything, but we do have the same basic values. One of those values is a strong belief in ongoing, respectful, communication with each other on any issues that come up.

We get along great and love spending time, growing, and exploring life together.

Sexual and romantic compatibility are out-of-this-world spectacular. A lot of that comes from the communications part of things, however. Without that, things wouldn't be quite as amazing in this area.

We are incredibly attracted to each other, both physically and mentally. This also has to do with the ongoing communication that is constantly occurring.

Here is the key to a long-lasting, intimate, satisfying relationship. Everything springs from this.

https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brow...ty?language=en

Old 03-26-2016, 06:58 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,387,420 times
Quote:
We were both very selective when we were dating. Compatibility across many areas that are important to us plays a major role in why we work the way we do.

Quote:
Pretty much. I mean, apart from smaller things. Like he doesn't think Gladiator should have received the Oscar, and he's not a big Tim Burton fan. He also thinks Spider-Man 2 is the best comic book movie so far. He doesn't like onions and tolerates broccoli. I love 80s music, but it's not his thing. Things like that. I talk about theoretical stuff like zombie apocalypse and what we'd do, and he just laughs and goes along with it. He thinks it's implausible, but I say otherwise. He thinks I'm silly. While he enjoys sci-fi, he loves fantasy. I love both.

But everything else, especially big things like religion, politics, family and relationship dynamics, personalities, demeanor, temperament, love languages, communication styles, etc., pretty much identical.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Do you guys get along?
Amazingly well. We're very in sync. It's effortless.

Quote:
Absolutely. I wouldn't have married him if that wasn't the case. He's incredibly handsome, nerdy/geeky, intellectual, educated, charming, compassionate, affectionate, sweet, etc. He makes me giddy.

Quote:
What do you both do that makes your relationship or marriage successful ?
We just connect extremely well that it's "easy." We just get each other. You know the mushy-gushy finish each other's sentences, know what the other is thinking, and other cheesy couple stuff? Like that. We're really silly, goofy, chill, and have fun with each other. We talk about anything and everything. We often stay up late into the night just talking. We're best friends and have many mutual passions and interests that we share and connect on. We have very similar personalities, love languages and communication styles. What keeps things light and fun for us is a combination of things.

We banter, I mess with him, we act like kids sometimes. Like about a month ago when I put wintergreen mints in the cinnamon mint container (he doesn't mix them) one evening. Mints have been a nightly ritual. My nefarious plan failed when I realized the bedroom light was on when he got them. (it's typically off) Then I heard "Babe... babe..." from the other room. We keep things fun. I still get excited when I know he's on his way home from work. Like the other day I couldn't wait for him to come home so I could ask him "Black Widow vs. Elektra" and "Arrow vs. Daredevil." I find that it's easy when there's already a high level of compatibility.

We're different enough in other ways that it keeps things interesting.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:57 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,837,038 times
Quote:
Do you guys get along?
These are good questions, OmegaSparks.

Do you both agree on the same things? It was an "opposites attract" situation for us. We are very different people and don't agree on lots of things, to be honest. Surprisingly, we almost never argue because we give each other a lot of leeway and freedom. We agree on the important things, like finances, life goals, and shared value system.

Are you guys sexually compatitible? It's the best.

Do you guys get along? We get along really well. Not always, but usually. We like each other... a lot!

Do you find your partner attracted both physically and mentally? Yes, very much. He is physically my ideal (yummy!). He isn't as intellectual as I am but he's sharp, clever, and funny.

We are considerate and thoughtful towards each other. I've said this before, but my husband has taught me, by example, how to be a more loving person. I've never really been in a healthy relationship before, so I often feel like a small child learning how to swim in a river current. When I struggle, he puts out his hand and reaches for me. He is so emotionally strong and solid. He always thinks of me and puts me first, and that inspires me to return the favor. He is fiercely loyal and devoted to me, which makes it easy for me to trust him and I know that I can count on him, as he can count on me. I would do anything for him.

The only advice I can give is to choose your spouse carefully, make sure you agree on the important things, and when you find the right person, give it your very best.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:04 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,837,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Here is the key to a long-lasting, intimate, satisfying relationship. Everything springs from this.

https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brow...ty?language=en
This is well worth watching. Very profound and moving. Thank you for sharing it.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:09 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,748,940 times
Mutual respect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships