Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:15 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,083,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Used to be a site called crock pot 365. She did this for a year and then had TV deals and a book and all. That Mongolian was pretty good - I tried the 365 one. She listed all her recipes. Most were savory foods but she did some desserts and a few craft experiments when she just couldn't face more crockpot food lol. I'm pretty sure I linked to her old site years ago on a thread here.
This one? 365 Days of Slow Cooking - Easy slow cooker recipes for each day of the year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 03:59 PM

18,951 posts, read 11,613,247 times
No, but I'll have to check that one out. It actually was this site but under a different name back in 2008. A Year of Slow Cooking: 2008 Flashback: The Entire Year, in order I think I linked to her 2008 flashback that will include all those recipes (Mongolian beef) and the family verdict about each one. One of the recipes I liked was Thai coconut beef curry. The recipe for it is over at an Other Topics thread I started in 2010

Will read the OP link tonight

Old 09-22-2016, 04:03 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,039,935 times
I have found a lot of meat needs to be seared on the stove top before putting it in the slow cooker. There is almost nothing more tasty and tender than pork ribs seared first, then slow cooked with about a teaspoon or so of water, potatoes, carrots, and onions. OMG, it's good! The best winter meal EVER!

The icing on the pork ribs is to dredge each piece of meat through a dollop of real horseradish before popping it into your mouth.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:19 PM

61,916 posts, read 87,450,383 times
100 straight days of using the slow cooker? I don't think I could stomach the "slowly cooked to death" food day after a day for over three months...

BTW: Did you know that slow cookers made in the 1970's might be poisoning your food - and could even kill you? Using the old-style pots to make family dinners may have unsafe levels of lead. Ceramic vessels heated to 80F release 10x the amount of lead than they do at room temperature. Slow cookers characteristically heat up to more than 250°F.
Add to that the ingredients going into the cooker (which will likely include vinegar, tomatoes or citrus juices), are all acidic and are drawing more of the lead into the food.
Many slow cookers state that they do not contain leaded glaze, but it may pay to do your research before you whip up your next family casserole.
For sure, do not buy glazed plates or cooking items that come in contact with food that are made in China – they have less regulation on chemical contamination.
The Hidden Danger in Your Slow Cooker
http://terminalverbosity.com/soapbox...-surprise-you/
You can test your pots for lead at home:
https://goo.gl/TVN2tu

Last edited by elnina; 09-22-2016 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 01:01 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,777,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
No, but I'll have to check that one out. It actually was this site but under a different name back in 2008. A Year of Slow Cooking: 2008 Flashback: The Entire Year, in order I think I linked to her 2008 flashback that will include all those recipes (Mongolian beef) and the family verdict about each one. One of the recipes I liked was Thai coconut beef curry. The recipe for it is over at an Other Topics thread I started in 2010

Will read the OP link tonight
Thanks I will check the coconut beef curry recipe out. Sounds like something I would enjoy.

ETA: Found it (see below). I might try it with chicken though per your notes. I like curried chicken better than curried beef.

Here's the recipe from the crockpot 365 blog. I've added notes at the end as to how I adjusted it...

The Ingredients.
--1-2 lbs stew meat
--1 yellow onion, cut in chunks
--1 can coconut milk
--1 juice from one lime
--2 T of butter (optional. I used it, but don't think it needs it next time)
--2 cloves chopped garlic
--2 tsp brown sugar
--1 tsp curry powder
--1/2 tsp ground coriander
--1 tsp cumin
--1 1/2 T chili paste (or 1-2 tsp red chili flakes)
--1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated

The Directions.
I used a 6qt Smart-Pot for this dish. Anything 4qt and up will work.

If using, put butter into crockpot, and turn it on to begin to melt. Add meat, lime juice, and coconut milk. Follow with the onion and garlic. Add the brown sugar and all the spices. Grate the ginger. Toss meat a bit in the liquid and spices to coat. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8.

The coconut milk will be yellow from the curry, and will separate a bit. A quick stir will turn it all creamy again. Serve over white or brown rice.

My extra notes...

I used more lime and added some cayenne pepper and fresh thai basil
I didn't use butter, coriander or cumin - just a combo of my own curry powders and curry powder ingredients.
I used powdered ginger
I've used regular or lite coconut milk and both were good.
This would be good with chicken - maybe even better.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:17 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,860,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Thanks for posting!

It's close to fall, so we will use ours a lot to prepare hearty stews and soups!

Crock pots are perfect for that! I made our first chili of the season in my old crock pot, and it was delicious. The rest is in the freezer with the pasta e fagiole I made the other day.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:17 PM

17,358 posts, read 11,332,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
100 straight days of using the slow cooker? I don't think I could stomach the "slowly cooked to death" food day after a day for over three months...

BTW: Did you know that slow cookers made in the 1970's might be poisoning your food - and could even kill you? Using the old-style pots to make family dinners may have unsafe levels of lead. Ceramic vessels heated to 80F release 10x the amount of lead than they do at room temperature. Slow cookers characteristically heat up to more than 250°F.
Add to that the ingredients going into the cooker (which will likely include vinegar, tomatoes or citrus juices), are all acidic and are drawing more of the lead into the food.
Many slow cookers state that they do not contain leaded glaze, but it may pay to do your research before you whip up your next family casserole.
For sure, do not buy glazed plates or cooking items that come in contact with food that are made in China – they have less regulation on chemical contamination.
The Hidden Danger in Your Slow Cooker
The skinny on lead in crockpots - It may surprise you! - Terminal Verbosity
You can test your pots for lead at home:
https://goo.gl/TVN2tu
Oh thanks I've been using the same heavy ceramic crock pot since the 80s. It's wonderful and I haven't died from it yet but now I'll be wondering how much time I have left whenever I use it.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:56 PM

50,409 posts, read 64,151,599 times
Ok, I am laughing because our power has been off since Friday. I am not a fan of slo cookers, but tonight I am using mine for pot roast, since I was tired of cooking on the grill.
If my power outage continues, I will enjoy some of these recipes.
My basic hatred involves, not meat, but mooshy vegetables. I have a stove and an oven, so why would I want to leave the cooking to the variables of a slow cooker?
Answer: no electricity, except for generator.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:02 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,239,189 times
we love cooking our deer meat in the slow cooker with potatoes carrots and onion! so tender and yummy!

Old 10-10-2016, 06:43 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
a local supermarket has pork butts on sale for .99lb

that's below cost!!

I bought around 20 lbs..

ill throw a roast in the crock pot until it falls apart and make some pulled pork,,

I put them in cheap Tupperware containers I get at the dollar store and freeze....

I can just take one out and warm it up as is or for a sandwich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes