Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 05:03 PM

23,684 posts, read 70,818,854 times

Advertisements

This is a YMMV issue. Some people notice slight differences, but most answers will probably work fine.

Beef, especially if it has been seared, has a fairly strong flavor of its own that can overpower additions. Because of that, I wouldn't waste money on an expensive wine except for bragging rights.

Once wine is opened, a lot of people suggest using it before the air can get to it, or in some cases (which has never happened to me) turn to vinegar. If the air can be minimized, such as with the BIB wines, shelf life is extended.

Where I would go with a better wine is in a fish dish. However, I rarely cook with wine anymore so defer to those who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 05:32 PM

131,761 posts, read 12,335,792 times
Use the cheap wine, don't waste a good wine on a stew, unless you are entertaining a gourmet. Most won't know the difference.

If you open a bottle & can't finish it, I have heard of people who freeze it in ice cube trays & then just pop a cube in the next stew. However, I have never tried this, but thought it might work, I drink my leftovers

Old 10-22-2022, 09:25 AM

19,470 posts, read 28,044,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Use a burgundy or a pinot noir. Not the very cheapest, but you don't need a high end wine to cook with.

That Sutter Hone Cabernet recommended above would also work just fine.

Myself, since my family doesn't drink wine, I appreciate the screw top wines because they are easier to seal up and store for the next time.
Even with a screw top AND putting it in the fridge, the red wine will be yukky within 4-7 days. You might get up to 14 days with white. (Those estimates are to use it for cooking. Drinking would be about 1 day for red, 3-4 days for white.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I happen to have planned a trip to Napa and then thru Anderson Valley, both wine regions, tomorrow. I can pick up some red wine for this. Is it an overkill to buy wine for cooking purpose at Napa? Do they sell economical-enough wines? Any specific recommendation (specific wine)?
Very DEFINITELY overkill. Sinful wastage of wine. Sacrilege. Even the wineries selling it would tell you not to use it for cooking.

Personally, I cannot imagine spending more than $8 on a bottle of wine to be used for cooking.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:44 AM

714 posts, read 586,827 times
I use the 3.00 bottles of cab from Trader Joes or Aldi to cook with and do not see a difference in the taste.

Old 10-22-2022, 10:07 AM

19,470 posts, read 28,044,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
I use the 3.00 bottles of cab from Trader Joes or Aldi to cook with and do not see a difference in the taste.
I used to use the 3 buck chuck for cooking (hell, years ago I used to drink it!)

I only noticed a difference AFTER I tried something else.
I think the aforementioned Sutter home (and various other mass market wines in that price range). After I tried those others, I realized that TJ's wine was leaving an acidic, slightly bitter taste.

YMMV.

Old 10-22-2022, 10:21 AM

50,526 posts, read 64,490,991 times
You can find a decent everyday red wine for under $10. It should not be a sweet wine. Look for Bogle, Noble Vines, or Ménage a troi. Cabernet is good.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:21 PM

1,843 posts, read 1,458,395 times
Use the teeny bottles if you don't have a lot of wine around your house. Or use the boxed wines -- they'll last and last and last.

Don't spend a whole lot of money on wine you're only going to cook with -- and don't use the cooking wines (they do not add a pleasant flavor, but do add salt). If teeny bottles aren't available the day you buy the wine, look for what's on sale first.

Over time, you'll figure out which flavor you like best in which dish; then just buy those.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:06 PM

50,526 posts, read 64,490,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Use the teeny bottles if you don't have a lot of wine around your house. Or use the boxed wines -- they'll last and last and last.

Don't spend a whole lot of money on wine you're only going to cook with -- and don't use the cooking wines (they do not add a pleasant flavor, but do add salt). If teeny bottles aren't available the day you buy the wine, look for what's on sale first.

Over time, you'll figure out which flavor you like best in which dish; then just buy those.
If OP has Aldi nearby, they have a Winking Owl wine that’s not bad.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:09 AM

24,166 posts, read 32,719,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I am cooking beef soup. The recipe calls for wine.

From the picture I can make out it'd be red wine, but red wine can be from $3 to $300, do they make any difference after cooking? In another word should I just use the least expensive red wine? (I heard cheap wines are bitter)

In Asian cuisine there are a couple of wines that are specially engineered for cooking. Is there such thing in the western cooking?
With Beef? A red wine. Always. There is no "specially engineered" wine in Western cooking. I wasn't aware that there are designated wines in Asian cookery. Most Asian recipes do not call for wine. If they did, I'd just use an inexpensive but not awful, wine.

For your recipe, try a Burgandy. NEVER use a "cooking wine". They are loaded with salt.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:15 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,159,778 times
During the winter, I make a Jacques Pepin beef stew with a bottle of red from the bottom shelf at the grocery. A not too sweet red wine, under 10 dollars works well.

Agree with the cooking wines, they aren’t as good as regular wine, but are ok for small amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes