Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 04:20 PM

34 posts, read 12,527 times

Advertisements

Would anyone care to share your favorite dish and recipe of their grandmas and or your mom’s?
And why it is your favorite.
A good memory attached to it perhaps?

My mom at Thanksgiving always made this cabbage dish. She was German, so I suspect it came from that area.
She would fry up bacon pieces, drain grease except for a few tablespoons. Stir in a little sugar and vinegar and salt. Then pour it over sliced fresh cabbage. Let it sit covered on the counter for a day.
It was real good and it always meant a Thanksgiving celebration ahead.

I do not have this recipe sadly, but in the winter my mom would make homemade cake donuts and donut holes. I remember sitting on the kitchen floor at her feet in front of the heat register with my blanket and smelling them in the deep fryer. She would drain them on paper bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 04:52 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
My Mom prepared several dishes that we all really enjoyed.

She made great potato salad, which we loved during the summer months. She could also prepare delicious pan fried garlic pork loin chops with a rice pilaf (garlic, scrambled egg pieces and green onions) that we loved during the fall & winter months. She also prepared delicious banana nut bread.

My Mom would often come home exhausted after working full time and prepare dinner for my siblings and I. My Father often worked late and could not always join us for dinner. Her dishes brought back memories of us growing up and how my Mom always insisted on us having a home cooked meal to keep us nourished and healthy.

Sorry, I don’t have the recipes to share.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:30 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Nonna made the best ravioli. As a child, I was mildly disgusted that they contained spinach, but the fact they also had calf brains didn't bother me at all.

I'm sorry I never learned to make them.

Nonna's sister made lovely "waffle cookies;" she refused to give anyone the recipe, took it to her grave.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Nonna made the best ravioli. As a child, I was mildly disgusted that they contained spinach, but the fact they also had calf brains didn't bother me at all.
My grandmother's mock turtle soup's first ingredient was ... "one calf's head." Seriously.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:47 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My grandmother's mock turtle soup's first ingredient was ... "one calf's head." Seriously.
I always picture mock turtle soup as being made with Ritz crackers.
I know that's "mock apple pie", but it sticks in my head.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I always picture mock turtle soup as being made with Ritz crackers.
I know that's "mock apple pie", but it sticks in my head.

About 15 years ago, I mentioned mock turtle soup to my MIL. She called me a month later and wanted to know if I wanted some real turtle soup as one of her friends showed up with a snapper.

We all have to realize that up until recently, Americans have been blessed with such an availability of food that items like city chicken and mock apple pie were seen as great options to serve your family.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:43 PM

183 posts, read 121,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
One of my grandmothers (Acadian) apparently used to love to make head cheese. I'm so glad she passed away long before I came along.

My other grandmother made amazing baked beans. She was quite a cook. She'd worked as a cook in Boston for a couple of years, in the 1920s. She was a big fan of the Fanny Farmer cook book. I've got a copy. I also have her old handwritten recipe book. Including the baked beans recipe.

Old 09-07-2022, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownDays View Post
One of my grandmothers (Acadian) apparently used to love to make head cheese. I'm so glad she passed away long before I came along.
Since you are from Ottawa, you have access to Byward Market and you can try a lot of the more refined terrines and pates that I can only dream of. If you haven't been down there, you really ought to try it.

As some of the older folks die off, a lot of the Acadian culture is being lost.

I used to spend a week or two rotating between Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa and have to admit that Ottawa was my general preference. It certainly beat the alternative of yet another summer at the lake in Lennox & Addington.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:41 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
As far as I know, my Grandmother only ever ate Campbell's canned vegetable soup. That's what was in the cupboard and I never ate anything she ever cooked.

My mother would roast a chicken at the beginning of the week, and all week long she would eat cold chicken sandwiches, and then do it again the next week. She did make an exceptionally good carrot cake for holidays.

Starting when I was five, I did almost all the cooking for my family.

My father's mother, whom I never met, did leave a nice recipe for canned chili sauce. Since I haven't done any canning in decades, I don't use the recipe, but it was awfully good.

At one point I had an aunt who was an excellent cook and I have a few of her recipes that I still use. Odd I googled and her recipe for $100,000 casserole is not on line. it was a bake-off prize winner: simmered steak strips in a mushroom sour cream sauce and topped with poppy seed dumplings.

Old 09-07-2022, 03:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
My grandfather was a cook. A cook not a chef. Wife beaters, suspenders, leather slippers and Burberry pants accessorized by the everlasting cigar. Generally cold in his galley kitchen. Women were allowed in he kitchen to do dishes or make strudel. The half door was a serious stop sign. He was a wizzard!!!

After I got busted for baking a sheet of streusel without the pesky cake and whatever for a midnight binge at 12ish baking was my department. The rest followed.

Father's favorite was spaghetti alio i olio i pepperoccini. Mumsy cannot stand it. SO loves it. So it is with us and it is well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes