Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2022, 10:14 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,115,273 times

Advertisements

What is best cut of beef to saute/grill in flat strips and/or cubes?

I try to do a quick beef stroganov so no slow cooking the meat. I just want to sear them. I have taken to just pan frying a steak like a steak, and letting it rest before slicing into strips before plating.

But I want to try either cooking the beef as cubes or flat strips. What best cuts for those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 11:29 PM

16,414 posts, read 30,438,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is best cut of beef to saute/grill in flat strips and/or cubes?

I try to do a quick beef stroganoff so no slow cooking the meat. I just want to sear them. I have taken to just pan frying a steak like a steak, and letting it rest before slicing into strips before plating.

But I want to try either cooking the beef as cubes or flat strips. What best cuts for those?

Personally, when I make that dish, I use cubes of chuck roast but I cook the meat by braising the cubes in a strong beef stock. However, I braise the meat for two hours.

Here are two options that I have used over the years.

First, in my family, we always used ground beef. That is quick and easy and tastes great over wide egg noodles and should take 30-40 minutes.

A second option would be to use steak tips. There are two options. You might try sirloin tips or cubes. Another option would be the trimmings from a beef tenderloin. Both of those would take about an hour.

I hope that helps.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,554,002 times
Shaved rib eye would be great to make stroganoff. I've been buying ours at the local Japanese market for years, but lately I've seen this show up in conventional grocery stores and supermarkets too. It's a very versatile product, can be used for Philly cheese steaks, Korean bulgogi, Japanese hayashi or beef and vegetable curry. It cooks up in minutes if not seconds because it's already sliced paper thin before cooking.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:55 AM

32,775 posts, read 48,535,399 times
I use sirloin steak for a quick stroganoff. Be careful to not overcook.

Also, I trim off visible fat, put that in the pan and cook it until it starts to melt and then remove it and add the steak strips to the hot pan.

Old 08-20-2022, 11:00 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,115,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Shaved rib eye would be great to make stroganoff. I've been buying ours at the local Japanese market for years, but lately I've seen this show up in conventional grocery stores and supermarkets too. It's a very versatile product, can be used for Philly cheese steaks, Korean bulgogi, Japanese hayashi or beef and vegetable curry. It cooks up in minutes if not seconds because it's already sliced paper thin before cooking.
Cheese steak stroganov hmmm.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:45 AM

23,776 posts, read 24,344,781 times
Flank steak, sirloin, or tri-tip can be used.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:08 PM

50,526 posts, read 64,490,991 times
I use a round steak to make stroganoff. Slice it 1/4”, dredge it with flour and seasoning and seer in butter and olive oil, remove from pan. Do your onions and mushrooms in the same pan, add the sauce and put the meat back in. Simmer for 20-30 minutes and stir in the sour cream at the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes