Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 12:53 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking that the poultry industry needs to have someone come up with a killer recipe for chicken legs.

They aren't very good. They are stringy and have a lot of bone on proportion to the meat.

But look at chicken wings. They couldn't give those things away until suddenly someone came up with Buffalo Wings and now they are the most expensive part of the chicken, even though they are mostly bone.

I am drawing a blank, but surely someone can think up a magic recipe that will make chicken legs the fashionable thing to serve to guests. Or that would support a restaurant all by themselves.

(The click bait on my browser keeps showing me a picture of raw chicken legs and something about stretching the food budget. Don't know what it is about because I generally pass on the click bait)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 12:56 PM

14,347 posts, read 11,742,689 times
I agree with you. I like chicken wings and always have (before they were a hot culinary item). Legs, though, are too tough, greasy, and frankly, I don't love dark meat in the first place. I would be interested to hear if there is a great way to make them tasty because you can get a lot of them pretty cheap.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:59 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times
I love dark meat, and usually buy skinless/boneless thighs. I got some s/b legs, and they were awful.

Maybe that's what they put in nuggets...

Old 07-21-2022, 01:20 PM

5,663 posts, read 3,171,906 times
I like dark meat. Thighs are my favorite, but drumsticks are ok to me.

I suppose drumsticks could be served up like wings...right? Like...deep fry them and simmer them in buffalo sauce for awhile?

Are wings considered light or dark meat?

Old 07-21-2022, 01:28 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree with you. I like chicken wings and always have (before they were a hot culinary item). Legs, though, are too tough, greasy, and frankly, I don't love dark meat in the first place. I would be interested to hear if there is a great way to make them tasty because you can get a lot of them pretty cheap.
I prefer dark meat and buy and cook chicken legs regularly. They are good with barbecue sauce in the oven. Also good with recipes that call for long, slow cooking and then taking the meat off the bones, like cacciatore.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:30 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I like dark meat. Thighs are my favorite, but drumsticks are ok to me.

I suppose drumsticks could be served up like wings...right? Like...deep fry them and simmer them in buffalo sauce for awhile?

Are wings considered light or dark meat?
I have cooked them in the oven, adding hot sauce near the end after I poured off the fat. Go ahead and eat your dry, tasteless chicken breast, peeps, I will take the legs and thighs.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:35 PM

1,168 posts, read 780,216 times
Couldn't disagree more. Anything you can do to wings or a breast tastes that much better on a leg quarter. Recipes that call for chicken are made superior using dark meat, skin & bone intact.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:38 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,646,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I prefer dark meat and buy and cook chicken legs regularly. They are good with barbecue sauce in the oven. Also good with recipes that call for long, slow cooking and then taking the meat off the bones, like cacciatore.
I only use legs and thighs when I make cacciatore. I also love baked chicken legs in a mushroom gravy.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:47 PM

5,663 posts, read 3,171,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have cooked them in the oven, adding hot sauce near the end after I poured off the fat. Go ahead and eat your dry, tasteless chicken breast, peeps, I will take the legs and thighs.
At home, we eat chicken breasts a lot, but if I'm going for fried chicken, I'd much much much prefer a thigh. I'd be a sad puppy if it was only a fried chicken breast. lol (We eat fried chicken maybe once a month.)

That reminds me...I can't see the appeal of chicken nuggets. Blah.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:04 PM

23,611 posts, read 70,493,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I was just thinking that the poultry industry needs to have someone come up with a killer recipe for chicken legs.

They aren't very good. They are stringy and have a lot of bone on proportion to the meat.

But look at chicken wings. They couldn't give those things away until suddenly someone came up with Buffalo Wings and now they are the most expensive part of the chicken, even though they are mostly bone.

I am drawing a blank, but surely someone can think up a magic recipe that will make chicken legs the fashionable thing to serve to guests. Or that would support a restaurant all by themselves.

(The click bait on my browser keeps showing me a picture of raw chicken legs and something about stretching the food budget. Don't know what it is about because I generally pass on the click bait)
It ain't Rockette science. A dozen dancing prancing chicken legs in a line on a stage in an ad, a la Chorus Line, an edible sock of fried dough to keep the grease off the fingers, and an accompanying trio of dipping sauces. Key is having a place to chuck the bones when one has been consumed. Bone meal is good for plants, but having a grinder/retort would be an overreach.

Or, a riff on Telly Savalas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes