Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 04:57 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,906,247 times

Advertisements

Creamy Tuna Twist

1 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
dash pepper
4 oz [dry] twist macaroni [rotini], cooked
1 7-oz can tuna, drained and flaked
1 cup cooked peas
1 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup snipped dill OR 1 TBSP dried dill weed

In large bowl, stir together first 3 ingredients until smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Toss to coat well. Cover. Chill.

FYI: I omit the celery and red onion, use dry dill weed, and generally use a small can of Le Sueur peas, drained. Frozen petite peas, cooked, are good, too. This recipe doubles and triples easily to suit your crowd.

Mr. Food Cookbook, 1986
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 05:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,335,567 times
This is a great thread!

Here is a recipe for “Wilted Lettuce” that I used as a guide early in my marriage for Wilted Lettuce Salad, which I had always loved to eat when I was growing up.

WILTED LETTUCE

Mess of fresh leaf lettuce
Fresh green onions
Radishes
1/2 Doz hard boiled eggs, sliced thin
8 slices of bacon
1/2 C bacon fat
Cider vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Sugar

Tear the lettuce in bite size pieices in a salad bowl. Chop the green onions and radishes very fine and add to the lettuce.

Fry the bacon which has been diced, and drain.

Add cold vinegar to the bacon grease—add enough vinegar to double the mixture. Cover and let liquid heat through. Add salt, pepper and sugar, and let boil for a few seconds.

Pour mixture over the lettuce, onions and radishes. Cap the skillet over the top of the bowl to wilt the lettuce while you dish up the rest of the meal.

Put the wilted lettuce on the table last and garnish the top with crisp bacon pieces and slices of hard boiled egg.
————————————-

Slightly edited from Country Cookin City Style, Silver Dollar City, Inc., 1972.

I usually add a tablespoon of sugar, and I crumble the bacon after frying it up. And I use the hot bacon grease already in the skillet, and not 1 C . But the technique of capping the bowl with the hot upside down skillet was new to me, and of course it really does wilt the lettuce.

We love this! And it is often a supper for us by itself accompanied by cornbread. I used to feel guilty about making it, until lately when we are hearing that animal fat in moderation is not as awful as we used to think it was. Of course, I use good quality bacon, too.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:12 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,180,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
My mom had a copy of that cookbook. There was an amazing peach pie recipe in it. I don't remember the name right off, but the peaches were cut in half, and instead of a top crust, there was some wonderful crumbly topping. If you can find this and share it I would be forever grateful.
Catgirl, I just saw this and happily looked through the book. I found two peach desert recipes with a crumbly top crust. Hope one of them fits the bill-

"Crunchy Peach Cobbler"

6 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (4 cups)
1 cup sugar
2 T lemon juice
1 14-ounce package oatmeal muffin mix
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/2 C butter

Combine first three ingredients. Turn into an 8x8x2 baking dish. (recipe does not say anything about oiling the pan) In mixing bowl, combine remaining three ingredients, cutting in butter till course crumbs. Spoon over peaches. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm or cool. Top with ice cream. Serves 6-8.

The second one is listed under "Fruit Cobblers" with other fruit cobbler recipes.

"Fruit Cobblers - Peaches"

For biscuit topper, sift together 1 cup sifted all purpose flour, 2 T sugar, 1.5 t baking powder, and 1/4 t salt. Cut in 1/4 C butter till crumbly. Combine 1/4 C milk with 1 beaten egg and add to flour mixture, stirring just to moisten.

For peach filling, combine 1.5 T cornstarch, 1/4 t ground mace, 1/2 C brown sugar, and 1/2 C water in saucepan, cook and stir until thickened. Add 4 C sliced peaches, 1T lemon juice and 1T butter. Cook until peaches are hot, about 5 minutes.
Pour filling into 8.25x1.25 inch round baking pan. (recipe does not say anything about oiling pan) and top with biscuit topper, in 6 mounds. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream. Serves 6.

As I wrote these out, I thought perhaps neither is the one you're looking for, bc neither has a bottom crust. Maybe your mom invented a recipe, combining portions of recipes she or the family liked?

There is also a regular "Peach Pie" recipe in the book, with a standard pastry crust bottom and lattice top. The peach filling recipe follows. Perhaps this filling recipe will tickle your taste bud memory.

Peach Pie Filling

Combine 3/4 C sugar, 3 T flour, 1/4 t nutmeg or cinnamon and dash salt. Add this mixture to 5 C sliced fresh peaches, mix. Put into prepared 9 inch pastry crust, bake at 400 for 45-50 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 08-13-2018 at 05:31 AM..

Old 08-13-2018, 07:25 AM

50,516 posts, read 64,453,451 times
Thanks, everyone. Keep them coming!

Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,508,007 times
There are a few recipes in this thread I NEED to try!

I have had my eye on this recipe for awhile. I really need to get off my lazy behind and try it. It is Oysters Rockefeller from Fannie Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cookbook ninth edition circa 1951.

2 dozen large oysters on half shell.
Stalks and tips from 3 green onions
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced chervil
1 teaspoon minced tarragon leaves
3 sprigs parsley
1/2 cup spinach
1 cup butter
1/8 cup soft bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
Few drops Tabasco, Worcestershire and anchovy sauces.

Chop greens fine. Add crumbs. Season to taste. Pound in a mortar and cream with butter. Force through a sieve.
Arrange oysters in a large pan on a bed of damp rock salt(which retains the heat well). Put 1 tablespoon butter mixture on each.
Bake at 450° untill brown. Serves 6.

Last edited by magicshark; 08-13-2018 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,622,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Catgirl, I just saw this and happily looked through the book. I found two peach desert recipes with a crumbly top crust. Hope one of them fits the bill-

"Crunchy Peach Cobbler"

6 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (4 cups)
1 cup sugar
2 T lemon juice
1 14-ounce package oatmeal muffin mix
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/2 C butter

Combine first three ingredients. Turn into an 8x8x2 baking dish. (recipe does not say anything about oiling the pan) In mixing bowl, combine remaining three ingredients, cutting in butter till course crumbs. Spoon over peaches. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm or cool. Top with ice cream. Serves 6-8.

The second one is listed under "Fruit Cobblers" with other fruit cobbler recipes.

"Fruit Cobblers - Peaches"

For biscuit topper, sift together 1 cup sifted all purpose flour, 2 T sugar, 1.5 t baking powder, and 1/4 t salt. Cut in 1/4 C butter till crumbly. Combine 1/4 C milk with 1 beaten egg and add to flour mixture, stirring just to moisten.

For peach filling, combine 1.5 T cornstarch, 1/4 t ground mace, 1/2 C brown sugar, and 1/2 C water in saucepan, cook and stir until thickened. Add 4 C sliced peaches, 1T lemon juice and 1T butter. Cook until peaches are hot, about 5 minutes.
Pour filling into 8.25x1.25 inch round baking pan. (recipe does not say anything about oiling pan) and top with biscuit topper, in 6 mounds. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream. Serves 6.

As I wrote these out, I thought perhaps neither is the one you're looking for, bc neither has a bottom crust. Maybe your mom invented a recipe, combining portions of recipes she or the family liked?

There is also a regular "Peach Pie" recipe in the book, with a standard pastry crust bottom and lattice top. The peach filling recipe follows. Perhaps this filling recipe will tickle your taste bud memory.

Peach Pie Filling

Combine 3/4 C sugar, 3 T flour, 1/4 t nutmeg or cinnamon and dash salt. Add this mixture to 5 C sliced fresh peaches, mix. Put into prepared 9 inch pastry crust, bake at 400 for 45-50 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.

Hope this helps.
Late last night, I couldn't sleep, and guess what I found, in a plastic bag among some old books? My mom's old cookbook! It was in a bag because the binding was all broken. Later today I will see if I can find that pie recipe, and if I can, I will post it.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:39 AM

4,628 posts, read 6,459,018 times
From Housekeeping in Old Virginia....1879

Backbone Pie

Take the smallest end of the backbone (hog) cut into 2-3 " pieces, place in water, boil until done.
Make a nice pastry, line the sides of a baking dish, put in the boiled bones, adding some of the saved water.
Add salt, pepper and butter and bits of pastry, cover with pastry, bake until browned nicely.

Anyone adventurous enough to try it ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-13-2018, 11:59 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,622,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
From Housekeeping in Old Virginia....1879

Backbone Pie

Take the smallest end of the backbone (hog) cut into 2-3 " pieces, place in water, boil until done.
Make a nice pastry, line the sides of a baking dish, put in the boiled bones, adding some of the saved water.
Add salt, pepper and butter and bits of pastry, cover with pastry, bake until browned nicely.

Anyone adventurous enough to try it ?

Regards
Gemstone1
Have you tried it?

Old 08-13-2018, 01:19 PM

4,628 posts, read 6,459,018 times
"Have you tried it?"....I found the bones kinda tough.....maybe I didn't boil them long enough. The pastry was good tho'.

From Cooking with Chef Brad, Those Wonderful Grains...Mamie's Pie Crust

3 c High gluten bread flour
1 t salt
1 c lard
3/4 c ice cold water

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-13-2018, 02:16 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,433,387 times
Hmmm.....great thread...I'm having a tough time deciding on a recipe though. So many good ones...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes