Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 17,635 times

Advertisements

Here is our situation...we haven't listed our house yet. Met with 3 realtors, really liked one of them but before we have had the opportunity to get back with her, a new co-worker of my husband's came to look at our house and wants to buy it.

What would be the best course of action?
1. Still retain a Realtor and ask to put in the contract that the Realtor will be paid a set amount for preparing paperwork and getting us to closing?
2. Just use an attorney and/or title company.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 01:25 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,841,328 times
Texas does not utilize real estate attorneys for contract writing and review like other states do, so you're going to have a hard time finding one in your area that knows how to actually write a contract. (Most real estate attorneys in Texas are for litigation purposes when something goes wrong).

A title company can't provide you with a contract nor can they help you fill it out, so I'm not sure why they would be an option to help you.

You can go to Office Max and pick up a generic contract and try to fill it out and hope you're protected... or you can just go to one of the agents you liked and offer them a percentage to write it up on the promulgated forms, but the agent, if smart, will also have you sign something that says if this buyer doesn't buy the house, they retain the listing at such and such listing fee.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:33 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,512,237 times
If your state is an attorney state, where attorneys usually are involved in the home selling process, I would go with option #2. If not, I would go with option #1.

In my office, agents will provide this service for $500. They meet with both the buyer and seller together, write up the contract under the agreed upon terms, and then help both parties on the journey to closing. There is still a lot of work involved, so I think $500 is a very fair price.

One thing to be aware of is that the agent will either be representing both of you as a dual agent, or possibly will represent neither of you. That means they can't really help either side in any way that will be a detriment to the other side and you shouldn't tell them anything you don't want the other party to know, as they may have an obligation to tell. The agent should explain how it works to you, if they don't, you should ask them to.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:44 PM

9,324 posts, read 14,948,144 times
Why on earth would you want to pay 6% of your sale price to a realtor when you've got the buyer??? That's insanity. An RE lawyer will do all the work for much much less and represent your interests as well.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,196,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Why on earth would you want to pay 6% of your sale price to a realtor when you've got the buyer??? That's insanity. An RE lawyer will do all the work for much much less and represent your interests as well.
That was not one of the options the OP listed.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:52 PM

10,986 posts, read 22,019,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Texas does not utilize real estate attorneys for contract writing and review like other states do, so you're going to have a hard time finding one in your area that knows how to actually write a contract. (Most real estate attorneys in Texas are for litigation purposes when something goes wrong).

A title company can't provide you with a contract nor can they help you fill it out, so I'm not sure why they would be an option to help you.

You can go to Office Max and pick up a generic contract and try to fill it out and hope you're protected... or you can just go to one of the agents you liked and offer them a percentage to write it up on the promulgated forms, but the agent, if smart, will also have you sign something that says if this buyer doesn't buy the house, they retain the listing at such and such listing fee.
Sounds like good advice to me.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:50 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,841,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Sounds like good advice to me.
Thanks, I try...

Old 06-03-2010, 06:12 PM

15 posts, read 31,186 times
Default how to skip a realtor

We are currently marketing our home here in a little beach village on the north coast of Oregon.

I went to the tittle company that is here in town and asked them if they could do the paper work for me if a buyer did not have an agent.

Yes.

I did have to order and pay for legal forms: the sales contract and the disclosure forms. But the tittle company will fill out the contract if I sell to someone with out an agent. We will have to agree price and contingencies but the title company does the rest as well as handle the escrow. I have to fill out the disclosure papers.

It may be different in your state but you could start by going to a local title company to see if they will assist you in the same way.

Good luck and don't spend all that commission you won't have to pay in one go.

redcap

Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,713,526 times
Gee, I have done FSBO's here in Texas and I was provided a sales contract by the title company. Or just go to the Texas Real Estate Commission's (TREC) website to get forms. Talk to a title company and ask them this same question. Website for TREC:

TREC - Contract Forms, Addenda, Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 07:44 PM

43,372 posts, read 77,281,824 times
"Notice Regarding Contract Forms

As public records, the contract forms adopted by the Texas Real Estate Commission are available to any person.
However, TREC contract forms are intended for use only by licensed real estate brokers or salespersons who are trained in their correct use. Mistakes in the use of a form may result in financial loss or a contract which is unenforceable. If you are obtaining the forms for possible use in a real estate transaction, you should contact a real estate licensee or an attorney for assistance. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate