Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 PM

757 posts, read 2,087,745 times

Advertisements

Actually it depends on the market. Our market did not decrease like the rest of the country because our prices never bubbled. I believe they were headed that way and were going to bubble, if the economy hadn't slowed everything down. For example Farror Hills, North Hills subdivisions in North Raleigh actually increased 10% in appreciation even during the downturn and they are still appreciating at that rate. Our particular subdivision that we are in has increased by 3% since 2006 even in the downturn partly because of a new highway being built that will be a mile away from our current house allowing people to get to the research triangle park 10 min away. Currently we are a 25 min drive without the highway. Some subdivisions over 300,000 have had to come down on price due to builders not being able to get loans. Most of us in established neighborhoods have not had a loss, maybe not a huge gain either. I didn't say we are going to be getting a huge chunk of change on this deal, but still a profit. Come to Raleigh, it's not as bad here. Our subdivision that we are in now has no competition for single family homes. You can either buy in our subdivision, or buy a townhome for the same price in Apex. That has helped our subdivision not have a downturn, plus the first time homeowners are the ones buying in our subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 05:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,523,148 times
That's a great story. I'm glad to hear it's possible to buy a house that isn't for sale. I've been looking at listings and have seen maybe 2 in the last year that I'm even remotely interested in so I've decided to drive around and find houses I like and contact the owners. Since I want a very specific area and style of architecture, it seems like a good way to find what I want.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:52 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,238,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
That's a great story. I'm glad to hear it's possible to buy a house that isn't for sale. I've been looking at listings and have seen maybe 2 in the last year that I'm even remotely interested in so I've decided to drive around and find houses I like and contact the owners. Since I want a very specific area and style of architecture, it seems like a good way to find what I want.
Why not buid a new house ?

That way you can ensure the house is the --style of architetecture-- you really want .

Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,523,148 times
Because to build a house in the area I want, the minimum price to buy a lot is 75-100K plus grading, driveway, drilling a well, getting electricity, putting in a septic, etc. That's 150- 200k before even building the house and I can buy an existing house for around 250K. Plus I want a mid-century modern house built in the '50's or 60's. I'd love to hire an architect and build one that style but it would end up costing 500K. Maybe in a few years...

Old 11-13-2009, 10:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,925,975 times
Got a 'we want to buy your home' letter in the mail the other day. We know that our house is nothing special from the outside; I just assumed it's because that type of house (square footage greater than X, larger lot, price less than Y, and loan documents filed with the state say it wouldn't be a short sale) was always an easy sale in our area to begin with, and there are currently less than ten listings of that type of house in a 'burblet with more than 3,000 homes in it.

Tossed the letter in the trash since it just doesn't make financial sense to move right now and spend more money for what wouldn't be a huge upgrade.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,253,962 times
Congratulations! I'm happy for you but also very happy for your buyer! I recently tried this myself, wrote a letter to the one property I've seen in 2.5 years that would be sooo sooo great. Never heard back. I do agree it doesn't hurt to ask, my letter was very....sensitive, at least I tried. Since I'm usually looking for something extremely specific and in sort supply I'd try it again. Why not? There is a percentage of people who get PO'ed no matter what you do.
Your lucky no one scared off your buyer from asking and accused your buyer of being like the govt and trying to take houses via eminent domain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate