Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2023, 04:28 PM

315 posts, read 300,638 times

Advertisements

I'm a planning to purchase my first home and faced with two scenarios:

- Should I buy a residential home, then wait a few years and buy a rental home

OR

- Should I buy a residential home to live in, then an additional residential property to rent out?

For those of you experienced realtors is any one of the choices a no brainer, does the choice depend on various factors, or does neither of the two give you an edge?

Thanks all for your comments, suggestions, tips, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 05:28 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
IMHO FWIW. If I was a first time homeowner I'd want to keep it simple until I'm more familiar with the costs of home ownership, maintenance, insurance, taxes, etc. Plus the time commitment for upkeep unless you can afford to hire everything done.

If you need the rental in order to afford the property you live in, maybe not a good idea as a first timer. So many unexpected things could go wrong. Revolving tenants and gaps in rental income could sink you.

Not everyone is cut out to be a LL. Are you sure you want that? Obviously, the potential headaches will depend on may factors. Especially if you're going to share walls.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:47 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Number 1 — buy yourself a house and wait a few years. Perhaps if you buy a smaller house now, then after a few years you can buy another house you like better and keep this first house as a rental.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:53 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Agree with the above. Especially since COVID set the precedent that the government can privatize public housing against the will of the home owners. A good friend of mine had a tenant that suddenly couldn't pay their rent, and although he wouldn't have evicted them anyway, at least not until exhausting every other possibility, it left him stranded with a property he wasn't making money on, was paying a mortgage on, and he couldn't sell it.

If you were stuck in that position, what would you do? Take a second or third job to pay the mortgage for the property you're subsidizing?

Old 03-23-2023, 05:21 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
- Should I buy a residential home, then wait a few years and buy a rental home OR
- Should I buy a residential home to live in, then an additional residential property to rent out? (OR)
- buy a residential home to live in which INCLUDES some additional space to rent out? OR
- accept a lower level of privacy and rent out the MBR suite in a 3BR home.

There are lots of ways to leverage your job security and a responsible nature.
Just be sure you have those to begin with.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:19 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
Number 1. Buy your first home only. You can wait a few years to decide if you want to be a Landlord. You may also rent out the first home you bought. That is what I did. You may never want to buy a rental. It's not all good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate