Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 11:42 PM

908 posts, read 963,836 times

Advertisements

ok, i'm in a weird situation. i had recently paid off my entire mortgage on a condo i own about a month ago. now b/c of recent circumstances i have decided to sell this condo within the next few weeks to a month. however, the mortgage company told me it will take 3-6 MONTHS for the deed/title to get to the third party who then sends to the county for recording which then sends it back to the third party who then sends it to me.

so my question is can i sell the condo without the deed/title in my hand?

Last edited by cis_love; 03-22-2017 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 03:35 AM

8,578 posts, read 12,462,693 times
The situation you describe is not clear. When you sell, you simply write up a new Deed conveying your interest in the property. You can gather all of the information you will need from the Deed which you received when you purchased the condo. That Deed is recorded so you can always retrieve the information from the public records.

Since you recently paid off the mortgage, however, you will need to have recorded a Discharge of Mortgage (or similar name) evidencing that the mortgage has been paid off. Have they provided that yet, or is that what they need to provide now? Maybe that's what they're referring to...however, 3-6 months is not satisfactory. They should be able to do it much quicker than that! By the way, who is the "third party"?

Simply put, you can go ahead and enter into a contract to sell your condo, but the Discharge of Mortgage will need to be recorded before you will be able to close.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 PM

11,845 posts, read 34,492,944 times
It does not take months to get a release recorded. You have the title, and can give title to someone else.

It is not like car titles where they keep the title until the loan os fully paid off.

Do you have an account with a national lender? or a local one?

Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 PM

908 posts, read 963,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
It does not take months to get a release recorded. You have the title, and can give title to someone else.

It is not like car titles where they keep the title until the loan os fully paid off.

Do you have an account with a national lender? or a local one?
It was a national bank I had the mortgage with.
I don't have a physical title. I have no paperwork of any kind.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:14 PM

8,578 posts, read 12,462,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
It was a national bank I had the mortgage with.
I don't have a physical title. I have no paperwork of any kind.
If you have a mortgage, by necessity, you have an ownership interest in the property which is evidenced by a recorded Deed. You don't need the Deed in your hand--it can be found in the office where Deeds are recorded in your area. Here, it's called the County Register of Deeds Office.

That's the benefit of recording Deeds and other real estate instruments. It's like having your own personal, permanent filing system.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:57 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,163,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
ok, i'm in a weird situation. i had recently paid off my entire mortgage on a condo i own about a month ago. now b/c of recent circumstances i have decided to sell this condo within the next few weeks to a month. however, the mortgage company told me it will take 3-6 MONTHS for the deed/title to get to the third party who then sends to the county for recording which then sends it back to the third party who then sends it to me.

so my question is can i sell the condo without the deed/title in my hand?
There is a common misconception that you get a title "in hand" on a house like you do a car. Not true. You can sell your house right now. The "deed/title" was not held by your mortgage company. When you purchased your property the county recorded a deed that transferred ownership from your seller to you. Your mortgage company just filed a lien against the property with a mortgage. Your recently paid off lender needs to file a document to satisfy that lien. You can sell right now and the title company can help you get the deal through right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate