Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 AM

333 posts, read 1,992,234 times

Advertisements

Well we went to look at homes in our new location. I was shocked at some of the conditions these homes were in! We went into this one home...it was gorgeous on the outside. Big stone front house..beautiful. The guy was there and stayed . First off, I have never liked when the owner is there. It makes it very uncomfortable. The first thing that hit us when we walked in was the smell of urine. Blah...He had a cat too who followed us everywhere , which I didn't mind because I like animals. The cat was hysterical , he looked exactly like that grey cat from pet semetary. He fur was all over the place. He looked just like he crawled out from the grave.That was at least entertaining..because we all thought the same thing. Pet Semetary cat! He was really nice too.

Anyhow, so we move on from the urine room. In the kitchen the guy was out there making a sandwich. My son(3) of course is talking to him asking him about Pet Semetary cat and what his name was. The kitchen was an absolute mess. Stuff all over the counters. The walls everywhere were beat to death. I guess he must have decided to make some improvements because all the nail holes had spackle on them. There were a lot of nail holes. The carpets were filthy. We went upstairs and the bedroom had more urine. It had boxes of stuff everywhere. We finally got out of there and just shook our heads. Our agent then told us that house was only a year old

We looked at some more homes..I was surprised to see these people didn't paint. Alot of houses were kinda beat on the walls. It was just weird to me...because I know how much time I put in for a showing. My house was perfect. I know so many others on here make there houses perfect for showings and are still on the market..These people who don't put the effort in..wow. ONe house had toys all up and down the stairs and really beat up walls. I can ignore the toys..but I was surprised. These people all were notified about a showing the day before.

Anyhow we did find one we fell in love with. We went back and looked at it three times. We drove all around the area making sure it was right. Each time we went back to the house, we liked it better. We put in an offer yesterday afternoon and haven't heard anything back yet. So of course now we are asking ourselves..what they are thinking. We do have some back-ups..in case these people won't negotiate.

Hopefully, I will hear something today. We asked for a quick closing also. I thought I would be less stressed on the buyer's end. But nope. It still is stressful. I miss pet semetary cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:23 AM

582 posts, read 2,010,170 times
LOL - I got distracted by cats in one house too. There were two cats each in a travel cage just watching us. They didn't make a sound, it was wierd... but I was petting them and talking to them until both my husband and my agent pointed out that I was supposed to be looking at the house.

I don't understand people who don't get ready to sell either, that's just laziness... but the guy who stayed could have been a renter because that happened to us also.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times
Get used to it. Pride seems to be a thing of the past. My dh and I used to buy and sell Florida waterfront homes and we were amazed at the condition of these homes. Most of them were literally garbage(at half a million).

It drives my dh I crazy how lazy and dirty Americans have become. Unfortunatley one of these days those people will end up on TV getting rewarded for their laziness. What a society.

Lisa

Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,025,379 times
i guess the sellers of those homes are not on this site asking for suggestions or else every one of us would have said DECLUTTER, DECLUTTER, DECLUTTER! The few homes I've been in (a friend is looking to buy so I go with her to look at houses and act as the unbiased one - I can't get her to remove her rose colored glasses). have always surprised me. there so beat up and they're not very old homes (less than 5 years).

Jenne, it must be really interesting for you to be a buyer now. Congrats on finding "the one" too!

Oh and the urine room, now that's a room name I've never heard before! LOL! (gross).

Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,029,402 times
We see that a lot here in Jersey - Beer houses at Champagne prices, and sellers who are arrogant enough to insult potential buyers in that manner.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,247,938 times
I have seen it at every turn here in FL. The only clean house we actually looked at we ended up renting. I have seen houses that needed a wheelbarrow and a shovel to remove debris (literally).

Old 10-30-2007, 09:02 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,736,543 times
Jenne03- remember, its all business...just be as unemotional buying as you were selling and you'll be fine...you are in control now....if you offer an extremely aggressive price and get a great deal, good for you.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:55 AM

333 posts, read 1,992,234 times
Yea, i shouldn't say it is "the one"..because it may not be. It's a house that we happened to love everything about...however, if they can't negotiate..then it wasn't the right house for us.

Surfing..it is weird being on the other side. Now I get to complain about all the overpriced houses out there!! Ha..of course as a seller, my house was priced perfectly fine. It's funny how ya have to switch gears.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM

275 posts, read 1,761,898 times
When we sold our last house we spent 2 months working our butts off every weekend and evenings after work getting it ready to show. When the for sale went on the lawn, the house looked great inside and out, and was very clean.

After we had accepted an offer and started looking for another home, we were appalled at the condition of homes for sale. I remember one home in particular we toured at their open house. The owners were in the home during the open house, eating and watching TV. There was a sign on the front door requesting we remove our shoes prior to entering, which we did, and I stepped in something sticky in the kitchen. The floors and rugs looked like they had not seen a vacuum cleaner in a long time and, when we walked by one of the bathrooms and looked in, the toilet seat was up and we could see pink stuff growing in the toilet bowl. The last straw for that house was when we heard and saw the train go by from the living room window.

We asked our realtor how he deals with listing clients who do not clean their house. He told us he tries to drop some subtle hints, but beyond that if he told them they need to clean it would be perceived as an insult.

My wife and I did not understand then and still don't understand how people can let their house be shown when it is so dirty.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,592,344 times
Quote:
however, if they can't negotiate..then it wasn't the right house for us
Just remember, they may have lowered as much as they can to walk away unscathed (meaning they may not be making a profit) so keep that in mind as you make offer (s).
Remember what it was like...

Best of luck to you, I hope when I finally get my house back on the market it will sell quickly and I can join you with the title of "buyer" :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate