Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 08:03 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,113,296 times

Advertisements

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect this manager is not as dumb as she makes herself out to be.
We just moved in to a new apartment complex. The complex is owned by a large company and managed by a woman who lives here. It was a long distance move and we were not able to visit the complex prior to moving. The manager, a young female who looks like she is in her mid-20s, showed us to our apartment. The handle on the freezer door was broken, there was stuff caked on the kitchen counters, and the bathroom had stains galore. My biggest concern was the black stuff on the tub grout. I pointed it out to her, said it looks like mold. She said no, it's just hard water stains and assured me the bathroom had been cleaned as much as possible. She personally cleaned the kitchen counters and maintanance replaced the freezer door handle and put on a new toilet seat. After they left I decided to see for myself if the bathroom was truly permanently stained. I used bleach cleaner and a sponge and most of the stains, including the black stuff, came off. I am now positive the black stuff was mold and not hard water stains (which in my experience are brown and do not come off with bleach). Also I checked the utility closet and there were huge, huge cobwebs. So the next day I went to the manager's office and gave her an earful. I told her she had been dishonest with me and the apartment had not been cleaned before we moved in. She got upset and said she would show me the bill proving they paid to have it cleaned. I told her I believe she paid to have it cleaned, but I don't believe anyone had cleaned it and she ought to have been able to tell that, as a property manager. She came to the apartment, looked at what I had done, and apologized. She said the cleaning people had told her those stains were permanant. She also cleaned out the cobwebs in the utility room.
I am totally skeeved out by the whole experience. Do you think she's a complete liar, or just too inexperienced to be able to tell the difference between mold and hard water stains? Honestly it's not a bad place but the complex is not very nice; the landscaping is all half-dead and the outsides of the buildings are dirty, covered with huge cobwebs and there is a fair amount of litter strewn about. Fortunately it seems safe enough, and we only signed a 6-month lease. The apartment we moved from, it was immaculate when we moved in and we made sure we left it in the same condition. There's no way our old property manager (who has been doing this for decades) would have allowed anything like this to happen.

Last edited by christina0001; 08-03-2007 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 AM

131 posts, read 184,605 times
unfortunately it sounds like you have an incompetent manager.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 AM

353 posts, read 1,730,486 times
She's young and inexperienced. She took care of everything you complained about - so i don't think she's a liar. She took the cleaning company's word as gospel. Frankly, the complex needs a new cleaning company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate