Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 PM

903 posts, read 3,581,502 times

Advertisements

Hi. Please share your experiences in this market with the commission splits between the selling agents and the listing agents? Also, what is the going commission % for the realtors where you are? Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 PM

15,584 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Are you a real estate agent or a consumer?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 PM

10,967 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Hi. Please share your experiences in this market with the commission splits between the selling agents and the listing agents? Also, what is the going commission % for the realtors where you are? Thanks-
Commissions are negotiable. Meet with a few agents in your area and you'll get a pretty good idea about what you should be expecting.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 PM

145 posts, read 499,287 times
6% percent total commission for residential, 8% percent for commercial. The base rate for internal splits - Listing Agent 20%, Selling Agents 30%.... It climbs higher throughout the year based on production. Our agents only pay for their MLS/ Realtor Board fees, no desk fees, no marketing fees. Co-Brokes are a straight 50%. Most homes in our area sell between $250k and $500K. EVERY Market is different.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM

468 posts, read 1,380,073 times
A lot depends on what area of the country you live in and what brokerage agencies are involved. Check with local real estate companies in the area you're interested in.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:11 AM

903 posts, read 3,581,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

thanks everyone for your responses-

i am a consumer looking to put a house up for sale in the spring in new york.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:30 PM

85 posts, read 217,580 times
Texas: 6% split 50/50 between Listing/Buyer agents.

Right now, a lot of agents are offering rebates of some sort. I would also be sure to amend the contract to state that if a Buyer comes to the table with no Buyer agent, that the 6% (or whatever % you agree to) gets reduced.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 PM

85 posts, read 217,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Why does it matter?? The OP is asking for information. That's what the Internet and this forum are for.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 PM

15,584 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornswin View Post
Why does it matter?? The OP is asking for information. That's what the Internet and this forum are for.

Because if it was a real estate agent I was going to send them a private message about anti-trust issues. Since it is a consumer, I would want to educate them about anti-trust and that there isn't a "going rate." Each brokerage is entitled to set their own commissions and splits and they vary greatly from brokerage to brokerage. So it is in their best interest to interview at least three agents to get a feel for what services are offered for what fee. I'd hate to see a consumer interview one agent because they were told the going rate was 6% so they hired them thinking they couldn't get a better agent for a smaller fee.

Also if the OP is in NYC that is a whole other beast of real estate since they don't have an active MLS like most other parts of the country do.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:36 PM

10,967 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornswin View Post
Texas: 6% split 50/50 between Listing/Buyer agents.

Right now, a lot of agents are offering rebates of some sort. I would also be sure to amend the contract to state that if a Buyer comes to the table with no Buyer agent, that the 6% (or whatever % you agree to) gets reduced.
Commissions are negotiable. I can assure in TX some agents charge more and some agents charge less than 6%. There can also be differences from one location in TX to another. I know in a seperate MLS that borders mine, the commission is usually a percent lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals