Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:42 PM

330 posts, read 985,478 times

Advertisements

Are there any dental schools in the triangle area that offer free or greatly reduced service for letting their students "practice" on you.

I might need a crown and the $300-$600 price tag from a dentist is a bit much.

If I had a lot of work to be done, I'd consider a trip to another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,261,264 times
I had a client who used to go to UNC dental school and he paid a lot less than usual. He was very pleased with the work. He had a particular student that he always went back to and the student had a supervising Dentist that made sure the work was done right. My client said the work took a bit longer but he thought it was well worth it due to the discounted price.

Vicki

Old 09-22-2009, 09:40 PM

4 posts, read 23,342 times
That would be scary to me I'd rather save my money and go to an experienced dentist

Old 09-24-2009, 09:07 AM

19 posts, read 40,228 times
seeing how there is 1 dental school in the triangle, UNC is your only bet around here. unless you want to travel out of state.

and yeah, they are hit and miss. ive never heard anything terrible, nor anything exceptional about them.

you get what you pay for.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,152,845 times
Here is the link for the UNC Dental School. They get a lot of requests, so it is not easy to get in there as a patient. The link explains the process for applying.

UNC Dentistry Patient Care

Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 PM

220 posts, read 866,775 times
Default really? was i overcharged???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazers View Post
Are there any dental schools in the triangle area that offer free or greatly reduced service for letting their students "practice" on you.

I might need a crown and the $300-$600 price tag from a dentist is a bit much.

If I had a lot of work to be done, I'd consider a trip to another country.
Only $300-600 for a crown??? Mine was $1200!!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 PM

330 posts, read 985,478 times
I have my first appointment tomorrow. I'll try to remember to post how it goes.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 15,335 times
What process do yo need to do to be able to receive discounted cleaning from the dental school?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:22 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,945 times
The work done in the dental school is generally good. Of course, as with everything, there are those above and below the bell curve and you get what you get. With that said, there is an insane amount of oversight. Any given procedure has numerous stop points along the way where students must wait on faculty to check and let them proceed. You will certainly save money but another downside is that it is going to take more appointments to get things done so I would recommend taking that into account.

Hopefully this isn't going to turn into an "all dentists are greedy" thread. Obviously I am biased but I will say this: add up what you spend yearly on your cell phone bill. Most crowns last a good 5+ years at the least. It's all about priorities. To many people satellite tv and cell phones take a priority to dental care. There is nothing wrong with that at all, it's just frustrating when people gripe about the cost to repair teeth when it has such a huge impact on your daily course of living.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:49 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,945 times
Got my wisdom teeth pulled out there. Had three levels of dentists/oral surgeons doing the work, from resident to fellow. No complications. Excellent follow-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary