Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 01:44 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are both retired and have a financial planner with whom we are totally satisfied. We receive (by mail) almost weekly invitations to attend a retirement planning seminar/dinner at some upscale restaurant.

My question to you golden agers is whether you have attended such meetings. If so, what are they like? I would imagine you are required to listen to a spiel from the host company about how they will make you a millionaire if you sign up with them. Outside of this, how's the food? Order from the menu, event held in a private room, etc?

At the rate we are receiving these invitations, I think we could enjoy a nice steak dinner weekly. Your opinions and thoughts are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 01:58 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Food is OK. They can't make a sale feeding you Big Macs.
Limited menu to help the kitchen and to keep their costs down.

You can expect a presentation, for sure.
I expect some will try a hard close, but the couple I went too were quite civilized.

We have a good guy, and actually went to one of his dinners afterwards, at his encouragement. Just a nice evening with presentation and discussion.
I could eat well for free a few times a month but wouldn't lead a planner on when we are comfortable and have no interest in changing planners.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-01-2024 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-01-2024, 02:12 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
We've done them a few times - both financial planners and estate/trust planners. I had not intention of hiring either, but I'm always interested in what's being sold in the market place.

We pretty much selected the presentations we attended based on the restaurant. Including one at the Pavilion at Angus Barn.

Never got a hard sell, but did get quite a few phone calls and emails after.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It's really hard to enjoy a nice steak dinner knowing that you are going to be listening to a sales pitch. I prefer to just pay and select my own restaurant, those invitations go into the recycling bin outside, and don't even come into the house. We selected out financial advisors ourselves, after doing some research and have been very happy with them.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:24 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's really hard to enjoy a nice steak dinner knowing that you are going to be listening to a sales pitch. I prefer to just pay and select my own restaurant, those invitations go into the recycling bin outside, and don't even come into the house. We selected out financial advisors ourselves, after doing some research and have been very happy with them.
It's not like it's a sleazy deal.
And, our planner said the dinners were very helpful building their practice. Reveal the human side a bit.

Having spent close to 30 years in sales, I don't find a pitch as stressful or worrisome as some do. Gotta eat dinner somewhere, sometime, almost every day, right? And, as mentioned, there was nearly no sales pitch in the presentation.

We had the timeshare steak knives for 15-20 years. Sorta regretted that one, but we were unscathed.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:35 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
I work in the retirement industry and know that if each dinner yields at least 2-3 legitimate prospective clients, it pays for itself. If even one of those prospective clients converts into being a client, the meal is paid for many times over.

Essentially, it's narrowing down their selling cycle to a prequalified audience and that increases their odds of growing their practice. And while the meals are usually restricted to a subset of the restaurants fuller menu, it's still really good food.

If you haven't partaken, you should, at least once.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:35 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
It's really hard to enjoy a nice steak dinner knowing that you are going to be listening to a sales pitch.
The ones I have been to always make you sit through the presentation before you eat. I have even seen some of them leave after the presentation.

I have not experienced one with a hard sell. Usually, you have to sign in, with a phone and/or email address, but they leave you alone after that.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:29 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
All the corporate/client dinners I go to are sales pitchy as well (even if we are existing clients of them, their job is to sell us more services). Even a dinner out with my in-laws, I have to listen to my FIL bloviate , so I have the philosophy there is no free lunch.

Old 04-02-2024, 01:36 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
Thanks, folks. Your responses are mostly what I expected. I'll pass on the invitations we receive.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:01 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,896,864 times
We went to a few and I wouldn't go to another. I'd rather pay for my meal and not have to listen to a WW3 is coming and North Korea will attack us any day. The ones we attended were annuities, which I would never invest in. Lets face, these dinners cost a pretty penny and someone has to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary