Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 12:13 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,547,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Um...No. I've visited the family cemetery where there were children buried that died of malaria. In the US. A great uncle, grandparent's sibling. And I'm not old, I'm a millennial. We eradicated it in this country using chemicals that people would gasp at today. And while I'm not advocating for using Diesel or Paris Green as a larvicide or the use of DDT like they did to eradicate Malaria in 1937, I don't think their line of thinking is anachronistic.

And in high school, I took care of a neighbors dog for something like a month after she was hospitalized for West Nile and had a long recovery; she was a healthy woman too. That wasn't that long ago.

So while Mosquitoes and Ticks are part of life, and life is a contact sport, I don't think it's silly to take measures to protect against them.
Banning DDT (based upon some questionable science) has allowed far more total malaria deaths than all wars combined since it was banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 12:42 PM

5,904 posts, read 6,976,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I dunno, I always told the guys to give the garden an extra dose, keep the squash vine borers, aphids, Cut Worm Moths, etc, down.
Along with all of the pollinators that help your garden grow.

Old 03-29-2024, 01:00 PM

567 posts, read 958,498 times
Mosquitos are a food source for many birds, frogs, turtles, and bats.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:32 PM

4,568 posts, read 3,769,549 times
I called the Raleigh/Triangle office for Mosquito Joe and Mosquito Squad and they are $80 per treatment if used as needed, or around $70 if you buy a "package" of 6 or 12 treatments or more. So I scheduled the first treatment next week especially since we are in the 80's for 3-4 days now.

I got the regular fog barrier for mosquitos and ticks. They tried to sell me something for gnats. Frankly, I could stand to see less large bumblebees around my house, they are all over the place with their loud buzzing and flying right in front of my face. Can't even sit on my front porch in peace.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:00 PM

334 posts, read 189,874 times
If they're buzzing your deck or the siding, they could be carpenter bees. Those critters love to drill holes in wood to make more carpenter bees.
They don't do anything useful otherwise.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:14 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
If they're buzzing your deck or the siding, they could be carpenter bees. Those critters love to drill holes in wood to make more carpenter bees.
They don't do anything useful otherwise.

Aren't carpenter bees really great pollinators?

As for mosquitos; I lived in the land of Japanese Encephalitis, Malaria and Dengue Fever and moved to NC from a state that gets outbreaks of Triple E every 5-10 years. Burn those MF'ers with fire.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:34 PM

334 posts, read 189,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Aren't carpenter bees really great pollinators?
You're right, they do pollinate stuff.
But they also make holes in your deck and sting you when you try shooing them away.

Old 03-30-2024, 07:41 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
You're right, they do pollinate stuff.
But they also make holes in your deck and sting you when you try shooing them away.
Yes they do. The pergolas at my old place were a favorite hotel. I think only the girls sting. Boys like to act tough.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:44 AM

77 posts, read 33,215 times
So did end up calling Mosquito Joe, Mosquito Squad, Economy Exterminators and Stomp for my sister's house here. The Mosquito Squad number was a 919 but the guy who took my information said, "We only service areas in Kentucky." They seemed so unorganized and their website is not up to date. Economy Exterminators and Stomp were trying too hard to sell their other bug services.

Ended up with Mosquito Joe at $45 for the 1st treatment and had it yesterday. I think every service after this one is $80 and have to call when I want another one. I'm already seeing dead large mosquitos all around the outside perimeter of the house! We'll see if this helps with the small ones though.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:52 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
My old neighbors had their backyard done once each summer and that was it for mosquitoes for the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary