Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 10:05 AM

363 posts, read 225,072 times

Advertisements

Pictures would be incredibly helpful. Southerners see a little surface rust and think it is the end of the world, but Yankees know better.

I think the mild hybrid system is just a dumb provision to satisfy the EPA. You won't even notice the savings in gas while having an additional layer of complexity to factor into maintenance + upfront costs.

I recommend avoiding RAM trucks unless you like replacing cams & lifters and depreciation. Chevrolet isn't much better. The F-150 with a 5.0 coyote is probably the best option among newer trucks, or a Tundra with the 5.7 v8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 10:42 AM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Pictures would be incredibly helpful. Southerners see a little surface rust and think it is the end of the world, but Yankees know better.

I think the mild hybrid system is just a dumb provision to satisfy the EPA. You won't even notice the savings in gas while having an additional layer of complexity to factor into maintenance + upfront costs.

I recommend avoiding RAM trucks unless you like replacing cams & lifters and depreciation. Chevrolet isn't much better. The F-150 with a 5.0 coyote is probably the best option among newer trucks, or a Tundra with the 5.7 v8.
It wasn't just the trucks. A friend had a Charger with the bad lifter issue and it ate into the cam which led to a misfire issue and he had just paid it off. He took it to a dealer to trade it in and they asked him if he knew the check engine light was on and he played dumb and said "Oh...Really??" They still took the car on trade but I'm sure he didn't get very much for it.

Old 02-05-2024, 01:39 PM

69 posts, read 62,585 times
I am sure you have heard the saying if it sounds too good to be ,,,,,,,

Old 02-05-2024, 01:52 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Buying from a dealer, or a used car lot? I would be more comfortable buying a Ford from a Ford dealer, so to speak.

Fleet Vehicle. Probably maintained per "the book". You'll be okay there.

No miles.

A little rust. Pfft. Hammer out a deal and buy the truck and enjoy. Good deals don't come along very often in the pickup truck market.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:06 PM

29 posts, read 16,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyp555 View Post
I am sure you have heard the saying if it sounds too good to be ,,,,,,,
yeah...that thought has been running through my mind .

Old 02-05-2024, 02:12 PM

29 posts, read 16,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post

would be for sure but again, didn't take any ...not going back to do so at this time.
Is over an hour back one way to the dealership and think we decided to go with a mid size vs full size so am switching gears a bit, so to speak for now.
and yes...am a born n bred southerner.

thinking maybe a ford ranger, possibly a toy taco for now but not finding any what I call good deals on any midsized trucks at all.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
It wasn't just the trucks. A friend had a Charger with the bad lifter issue and it ate into the cam which led to a misfire issue and he had just paid it off. He took it to a dealer to trade it in and they asked him if he knew the check engine light was on and he played dumb and said "Oh...Really??" They still took the car on trade but I'm sure he didn't get very much for it.
I don't recommend any FCA product including the Jeeps with the Pentastar 3.6 nor any of the 4 cylinder Fiat motors in the smaller SUVs. My brother purchased a Wrangler late 2010s model and it also ate through the cams and lifters. I believe early iterations of the Hemi were fine but somewhere along the way the camshaft was relocated, which reduced lubrication when idling.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainlover View Post
would be for sure but again, didn't take any ...not going back to do so at this time.
Is over an hour back one way to the dealership and think we decided to go with a mid size vs full size so am switching gears a bit, so to speak for now.
and yes...am a born n bred southerner.

thinking maybe a ford ranger, possibly a toy taco for now but not finding any what I call good deals on any midsized trucks at all.
Nissan Frontier is what I would look at if I were in your position. They're pretty solid trucks and reasonably priced.

Old 02-05-2024, 05:54 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks to everyone per junking my old vehicle or donating it...we junked it .
Now...hope someone can help me here.
Looking at a 2022 Pickup truck...has less than 15K miles on it and is a good deal , considering how much pickups cost these days.
The bed has some visible what appears to be rust STAINS on it in the bottom of the bed up near the cab.
My spouse tried wiping the stains off a bit while looking at it at the dealership ... stains won't budge.
Anyone have any idea why rust stains would already be on a truck bed at this stage in the game?

Didn't see any bed corrosion, just really what appears to be " stains" from like if someone threw some metal something or another in the bed and left that metal in the bed during a lot of rain. ( this truck came from an owner from a state that gets tons of rain )

Think possibly this isn't the actual bed rusting through but that rust that's there could lead to such happening, correct?
Of course flooded vehicles are also a worry but the carfax deal says not the case, no wrecks either, etc.
Checks out per them pretty clean. Was a fleet truck through...guess a construction group.

Of course could ask the car salesman but would I get an honest/reliable answer? lol
Quote:
will ask him and see for did not before.
As stated in the sales terms :

" Limited Warranty: 3 Month/3,000 Mile (whichever comes first) after new car warranty expires or from certified purchase date*
Those limited warranties are full of caveats, imagine we'll get a song and dance about the rust.

It's been ages ( over 15 years) since we've bought another vehicle and last one was not from a dealership, we're kinda out of the loop .
Last one we bought was a one owner suv found on craigslist and honestly, we got lucky on a very good deal there .

Have googled the vin but where is a good place to look after googling for info. other than the carfax info ?
( for free, if possible )
My advice to you would be to: run the Carfax, and then pay to have a pre-purchase inspection done on the truck. If it's a Chevy, go to the Chevy dealer, Ford, Ford dealer, etc. Yes, it will cost you more than $125, but it is absolutely worth it. They can identify any problems, and give you an estimate.

The "warranty" that the dealer that's selling the car has is honestly about worthless.

As to the "rust", that's likely just discoloration on the top of the paint. I doubt it's actual rust, in a 2 year old truck. Those often can be removed via rubbing compound and a polisher. I've been detailing cars since the early 80's, and I've seen it all on paint.

Never take the car salesman's word on anything. More often than not, they either don't know what they are talking about, or are lying.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:02 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They probably were toting something around in the bed of the truck that got wet. I have a co worker who used to be a material damage appraiser for our company - she said it does not take long for rust to set it.

Any other rust? No chance it's a flood vehicle?
Exactly. Or even if they put in something that would scratch the bed. (Wood, Old Scrap Metal, Sharp edges, etc...). The scratches remove the paint, and that exposes the metal to oxidation. Oxidation = 'rust'.

If it's truly just surface "rust", it's probably harmless, and/or could be covered with paint or a spray-on bed, or many other options.

I'm no expert, so validate these comments, but I think it's pretty natural for a truck bed to show rust (or light oxidation). After verifying, I would not let it stop me from buying if all else was fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary