Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 08:25 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Reality is that Raleigh Union Station is deeply unpopular with people who live outside 440. It takes too long to drive downtown, pay for parking, etc. Everyone I know in north Raleigh just drives to Cary where you can skip the traffic (unless there's a big event at the arena), park for free, and walk 100 feet to reach the platform. I believe the Piedmonts would get another bump in ridership if the trains were convenient to people in the Wake Forest-Youngsville area.

That said, the notion of commuter trains between Wake Forest and Raleigh is absurd.

RUS was supposed to have been designed with a stub for the S-line platform. How much of that was really completed, given the cost overruns on the project, I don't know.

The project could be cost-reduced considerably by skipping the new bridge over Capital Blvd and running the trains up the S-line past the freight yard, the way that SAL did. When it comes time to put a shovel in the ground, I expect there will be some rationalization of the plan.
Hush now about CYN.
It's our little secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 09:36 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hush now about CYN.
It's our little secret.
It's inevitable that as downtown Cary grows, they'll eventually move towards paid parking

Old 12-09-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
It's inevitable that as downtown Cary grows, they'll eventually move towards paid parking
Am I supposed to say, "I bet you're a lot of fun at parties?"

Yeah. I can see paid parking at some point.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:21 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Gotta pay for the upcoming new multi-modal station somehow. Likely to be a garage as part of the project.

Old 12-09-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Gotta pay for the upcoming new multi-modal station somehow. Likely to be a garage as part of the project.
TOC properties may be in play for that project, right?

Old 12-09-2023, 02:11 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
TOC properties may be in play for that project, right?
They will be once TOC takes them. The whole block across Harrison from the current station, everything bounded by the tracks, Harrison, and West St., including all of Hillsboro St.

The gas station, Pure Gold (their fancy new building out by the airport is just about done), the building that used to have Roma's in it (can't remember what else is there), and some homes.

And then the former station site will also be available for something.

https://www.carync.gov/projects-init...ansit-facility

Old 12-09-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
They will be once TOC takes them. The whole block across Harrison from the current station, everything bounded by the tracks, Harrison, and West St., including all of Hillsboro St.

The gas station, Pure Gold (their fancy new building out by the airport is just about done), the building that used to have Roma's in it (can't remember what else is there), and some homes.

And then the former station site will also be available for something.

https://www.carync.gov/projects-init...ansit-facility
Well!
Thanks for the update on Pure Gold!

Old 12-09-2023, 06:42 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
the last time we rode the Carolinian from Durham to D.C.,
we were told a new stop in Hillsborough was already approved.

Old 12-10-2023, 02:32 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Yes, stations will be added in Hillsborough and Lexington although some trains might not stop there.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:44 AM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
I am a big fan of passenger rail, but the US "system" doesn't really work for me.

Whenever I visit Europe, I almost never rent a car there or fly. I take trains. Because their system works very well. The key is having both intercity and suburban services that are simply more convenient than other alternatives. If I can walk from my home or hotel to a suburban station, with fairly frequent service, to a main railway station for an intercity train, then all is good.

But here, except in a few places like NYC and Chicago, the intercity services are few and far between, and suburban services are almost nonexistent. Our "system" is mostly car-friendly ( ? ) but not rail friendly. And given our long-time commitment to cars, building effective suburban rail here is not very likely.

When I lived in New Jersey ( 1976-1979 ) I really didn't need a car much, as I could take a commuter train, with frequent service, into the big city.

That said, it may still make sense for some routes here, like linking Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, etc.

On the other hand, if I did want to go to DC from here, a good rail service would be appealing. I am of an age where driving I-95 is beyond my means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary