Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 05:43 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Hedingham is a middle class neighborhood by most standards.* It's also a relatively diverse one, and it's on the East side of town all of which may make some folks, especially some Raleigh natives who weekend at Carolina Beach, consider it to be less than desirable despite the area having a lower crime rate than some bougier areas.

* IIRC, you once you described Holding Village as "working class" which cracked me up, so clearly there's a wide variation in what people consider middle class
Found it. It was in the context of schools and whether COVID would be the “breaker of county based schools”

My point was the apartments are really the “affordable “ housing option in WF (and even then, I use affordable loosely) and that whole being built back section of Holding Village along 98 is apartments as well as the section along South Franklin.

Holding Village, pre the rates turning, was getting 400-500K, which aligns with m378’s definition which I agreed with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 05:43 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Ya I can’t speak to the basis of the opinion they shared. To be honest, I remembered the discussion here and thought to myself how it seemed different between how it was discussed here vs the real life convo I was having.

I will note however I am by far the bougiest of the group.

I will have to search about what I’ve said about HV. I love the setup over there minus the oxygen storage facility. I would consider that development middle class and one frankly I’m hoping I time it right to rent in.

Off to search….
If it wasn’t you, my apologies and sorry for putting you on the spot. But someone here definitely said it and it’s always stuck with me because I thought it was really funny. My husband and I joke whenever we’re near there about how oh so working class it is.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
If it wasn’t you, my apologies and sorry for putting you on the spot. But someone here definitely said it and it’s always stuck with me because I thought it was really funny. My husband and I joke whenever we’re near there about how oh so working class it is.
Nah it was me in 2020.

Here’s the post I think you’re referring too. In fairness, I was trying to create the hierarchy of town, but that wording is sloppy AF on my part

https://www.city-data.com/forum/59255077-post198.html

Old 10-25-2022, 12:32 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
I want to make sure I am following you here. Your issue isn't that "white shooter in a Middle Class neighborhood gets the pub" (is Hedingham middle class? my buddies from my weekend trip (all Raleigh natives) made it sound anything but..in fact one of their buddies still lives there and has an arsenal of firearms in his home because of "how safe it is") while "poor, perhaps more remote, perhaps minority" mass shooting doesn't get the pub and it should....because we need to hear about that plight so we can demand altruistic change?
Define middle class. If you break things into "Upper, Middle, Lower" class, it certainly is middle class.
But...I've noticed that there's a huge amount of scope creep (probably not the right term) that skews the perception of what could be defined objectively as upper class. If income over $200K means you're in the top 15% in Wake County, you're (objectively) upper class (link below for reference). But, when people think of lifestyle and what it income allows you they don't think of it as such. Similarly, many upper or upper middle class folks have a narrower mental picture of what "middle class" means.

That's just my personal observation, I'm not a demographer, statistician, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...ake-county-nc/

Old 10-25-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Define middle class. If you break things into "Upper, Middle, Lower" class, it certainly is middle class.
But...I've noticed that there's a huge amount of scope creep (probably not the right term) that skews the perception of what could be defined objectively as upper class. If income over $200K means you're in the top 15% in Wake County, you're (objectively) upper class (link below for reference). But, when people think of lifestyle and what it income allows you they don't think of it as such. Similarly, many upper or upper middle class folks have a narrower mental picture of what "middle class" means.

That's just my personal observation, I'm not a demographer, statistician, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...ake-county-nc/
I would put middle class in this metro area as a family of four pulling in anywhere between 90-150ish?

So working class would be a little below to a little above median, with middle thereafter.

I guess, since m387 brought up house prices, layering that in makes some sense. Whats the old rule (no, not Dave "Im a millioniare and will give you rules for thee, peasant" Ramsey rule, the bank financing rule; 30% of gross on a mortgage?

Yearly salary times 2.5 - 4

So middle class neighborhoods would be ~300-675K?

ETA - Of note, I shared the opinion of my buddies that it wasn't Middle Class....but I have no idea where that opinion stems from. They just weren't surprised "that would happen in Hedingham". I've never been there, so I have no first hand knowledge to speak from. And these guys didn't come from bougie upbringings. Sanderson/Millbrook kids from a bygone era.

Last edited by GVoR; 10-25-2022 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-25-2022, 05:34 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
I would put middle class in this metro area as a family of four pulling in anywhere between 90-150ish?

So working class would be a little below to a little above median, with middle thereafter.

I guess, since m387 brought up house prices, layering that in makes some sense. Whats the old rule (no, not Dave "Im a millioniare and will give you rules for thee, peasant" Ramsey rule, the bank financing rule; 30% of gross on a mortgage?

Yearly salary times 2.5 - 4

So middle class neighborhoods would be ~300-675K?

ETA - Of note, I shared the opinion of my buddies that it wasn't Middle Class....but I have no idea where that opinion stems from. They just weren't surprised "that would happen in Hedingham". I've never been there, so I have no first hand knowledge to speak from. And these guys didn't come from bougie upbringings. Sanderson/Millbrook kids from a bygone era.
If someone wanted to argue middle vs working class I’d have a hard time refuting either one. My wife’s cousin rented there. They didn’t speak poorly of the neighborhood. And she’s born and raised in Cary. It’s a huge development, and there are both single family homes and townhomes. The townhomes are certainly more working class. I’ve golfed there once when I used to golf. My wife and I looked at houses there back in ‘17 but ultimately wanted more yard. Anecdotally it seemed like a lot of the SFH’s were owned by older folks that didn’t have to worry about schools. The schools it’s zoned for aren’t great I don’t think.

The thing is that it’s an ok area that’s close to some really crummy ones. I think it checks a lot of boxes for not too much money without anything really excellent to say about it. Its a good place if you like to walk or access the greenways. It’s really close to WakeMed and convenient to downtown and there’s a nice huge Walmart right there and five or six decent affordable restaurants. It’s 10 minutes from Midtown with Wegmans and Trader Joe’s, 10 minutes to Duke Raleigh, which is where my older neighbors have gone for cancer treatment and knee replacements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary