Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 06:07 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Don't attend school if you're sick....LOL my daughter said her classes were half empty today and one of her teachers cancelled a tutorial because there weren't enough students there. NO ONE will be there Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 06:15 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
This is playing out similarly in the UK, where the government has decided to hold off on dramatic moves in favor of hand washing and whatnot (spray n’ pray I saw it called). Bold strategy Cotton, we’ll see if it pays off.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:23 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
i think closing the schools will be seen as a mistake

1. This virus is just part of the typology now. It's wrong to assume you can hunker down for a weeks and this will be all gone. Someone flies in again and boom

2. major economic impacts as parents cant work to watch their kids

Old 03-13-2020, 06:29 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
So glad Wake County schools are not planning on closing for the time being. Good for them. No point in closing at this time.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:31 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
If absences will actually be excused, then as much as I hate to say it, I think this is a good plan. This keeps the schools open with a limited number of students (many parents will keep their kids home), and those mission critical people (ie medical professionals) can send their kids to school so that they are able to go to work. I'm sure a good portion of the medical staff in the Triangle have children in the Wake schools.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:49 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
what meetings of various government agencies ARE going forward?

Old 03-13-2020, 06:55 PM

422 posts, read 461,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Petition:

https://www.change.org/p/anyone-and-...ndled-and-gone

Over 17.7K signatures as of 8:30 PM
This is meant as a legitimate question. It seems like I see a new petition every day to change something about the government (not political I see it on both sides). Is there any evidence that these online petitions actually result in any change?

Change.org is a for profit company that generates revenue by selling your email address to parties interested in paying for email addresses for people meeting certain search criteria. It has nothing to do with a Presidential slogan from several years ago.

Is Wake County really going to close school based upon an on-line petition? Or remove the principal from some high school?

Old 03-13-2020, 06:56 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i think closing the schools will be seen as a mistake

1. This virus is just part of the typology now. It's wrong to assume you can hunker down for a weeks and this will be all gone. Someone flies in again and boom

2. major economic impacts as parents cant work to watch their kids
I would say this is partially correct. The harsh reality is that, chances are, the total cases of COVID19 in the US could reach millions. The goal of limiting crowds/large gatherings isn't to stop the virus dead in its tracks...it's to "flatten the curve"...

If 10 million people in the US are going to be infected with the virus; it is better for those 10 million to be stretched out over several months, so that the hospitals/medical teams can manage treatment and care during that time; than for 10 million people to be infected in a matter of two weeks....completely overwhelming the hospitals.

Staying home and away from crowds isn't going to make it so that the inevitable thousands or millions of people who will become infected NEVER get infected; it's to slow down their infections over time so that the medical system can actually handle it.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:55 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what meetings of various government agencies ARE going forward?
Apparently only school related meetings.

If they aren't going to cancel school and only half the kids show up (which seems a given on Monday) then nothing gets taught or learned anyway. This semester is effed in every way. who knows when kids will start coming back to school. My daughter said many of her friends were not there today or left early and more are not going on Monday.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:14 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
If absences will actually be excused, then as much as I hate to say it, I think this is a good plan. This keeps the schools open with a limited number of students (many parents will keep their kids home), and those mission critical people (ie medical professionals) can send their kids to school so that they are able to go to work. I'm sure a good portion of the medical staff in the Triangle have children in the Wake schools.

Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary