Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,590,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
And my crawlspace dehumidifier has failed yet again in this wet year. Remind me, why did I buy one of these machines again?

Wonder if it's a voltage issue? You've bought good machines. No idea why you're having so many issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 03:37 PM

4,586 posts, read 3,782,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Is it a crawl space rated one? Ive been using my Titan 60 for almost three years now and no issues.
Yup, they all have been crawlspace-rated dehumifiers. Actually, the longest-lasting dehumidifier I've had is a Danby 70 pint model from Costco that is definitely not rated for this use, but I bought as a backup when all of my other machines were under repairs. The compressor used to run all the time and still works after 2 years. Maybe the constant on-off cycling of the compressor causes these machines to fail? --Then again, that's what these crawlspace-rated machines are made to do.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Wonder if it's a voltage issue? You've bought good machines. No idea why you're having so many issues.

Could be, I'll into that outlet voltage.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:24 PM

9,150 posts, read 14,793,190 times
Quote:
Could be, I'll into that outlet voltage.
Guess the other question is how good is your sealing? If you’re getting a ton of moisture in it has to work that much harder.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:41 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,590,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Guess the other question is how good is your sealing? If you’re getting a ton of moisture in it has to work that much harder.

That's the machine's only job. It's a **** poor design if it fails prematurely because it had to work.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The sealing seems fine - all the vents are spray-foamed and the door is lined with weather rubber sealant, vapor barrier etc. It is as close as you can get without it being "climate-controlled" crawlspace.

Regardless, I think it's important to note that the expensive dehumidifiers have all failed after 6 months and the ones from Home Depot are all running without issues. Yes, the Home Depot ones don't remove as much moisture but just working is good enough for me at this point.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:24 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,426,685 times
Quote:
The sealing seems fine - all the vents are spray-foamed and the door is lined with weather rubber sealant, vapor barrier etc. It is as close as you can get without it being "climate-controlled" crawlspace.

Regardless, I think it's important to note that the expensive dehumidifiers have all failed after 6 months and the ones from Home Depot are all running without issues. Yes, the Home Depot ones don't remove as much moisture but just working is good enough for me at this point.
Does your vapor barrier cover 100% of the floor? Have you taped the seams? How about downspouts and drainage around your home?

I bought very thick vapor barrier from a place in Fuquay. I want to say its like 16 mil and covered the floor 100%. I taped the seams and then installed the dehumidifier. Crawl space went from 80% down to 50% very quickly. The next year I bought wall curtain from yourcrawlspace.com out of SC and did all my walls and piers. All taped to the vapor barrier on the floor. Then had my cripple walls in the crawl space insulated as well to help with heating/cooling. On the outside I ran all my drains underground away from the house and installed oversized gutters.

If your machines are running a lot then I would definitely focus some time and money to keeping water out of the crawl. Handle the outside first, then look at the inside. The wall curtain material was pretty awesome. It attaches to the walls with caulking so you dont have to mess with drilling into it or anything. You dont even have to clean the walls before applying the caulking. Apply caulk, press curtain on wall, and tape to the floor.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:08 AM

Vapor barrier covers entire floor with taped at corners, but not in-between seams. All downspouts are oversized and tubed over 20ft away from the house. Have made sure no pooling of water occurs when it rains a lot. I installed the tubing away from the foundation and extra vapor barrier items after buying this house.

Regardless, these expensive machines fail and the cheap ones keep running. And this is just me who actually cares about house maintenance. I don't think the rest of the neighborhood even goes inside their crawlspace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary