Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 12:11 AM

164 posts, read 144,003 times

Advertisements

There are continuing conversations about reopening the venue. The latest is from Smedes York, president of York Properties, which owns the complex.

WRAL.com: Cameron Village Underground could find new life as jazz club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 01:35 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,901,353 times
I saw that article. I wasn't in raleigh for the original incarnation, but i have read a few articles about it. It seems like this would be very cool and would reclaim an interesting part of raleigh's past. I hope it happens.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:44 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,938,576 times
It'll never be the same but what the heck. A new Village Subway could be big.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:33 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
It'll never be the same but what the heck. A new Village Subway could be big.
I agree. I was also not in Raleigh when it was open, or at least never got to go there, but I know a little bit about the history. Back then, big bands played small venues, and things were different. Now, you won't see a modern day equivalent of the Ramones coming to some box under an old strip-mall, it would be mayhem. At best, it would open, the sound would be God-awful (Ritz, anyone), and parking, access, and policing would all be problematic.

Now, on the other hand, if they were to take the space (which I've never seen) and create another venue that fell somewhere between the Lincoln and the Pour House, with regards to size, and if they were to invest to make it a modernly acoustic viable place, with good lines of site, decent amenities, and whatnot, and were to attract appropriate acts, that might be something. I'm not sure we need another venue in that 'space' (refers to size and acts, not location), but that's where I see it having a chance.

Sorry, but I just can't see, in 2019 and beyond, in the internet age, having a place that is 40 years old, small, unfit for big crowds, and attracting regional or national acts. It just won't work in the internet age, I don't think.

(It occurs to me that I did not read the article, so I'll do that right now.)

Nevermind. It would be cool for what is proposed: A jazz club for local acts. I think any kind of club for local acts would be appropriate, but it will never be what I understood it to be in it's hey-day.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:36 AM

678 posts, read 739,072 times
A purely jazz club is a bad idea. It should be a venue that accommodates a variety of music acts

Old 08-01-2018, 12:52 PM

806 posts, read 605,615 times
Sounds like this venue had some serious character. Really hope it happens. More entertainment options only make the city more vibrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary