Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:06 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
HT isn't going to be able to stand up to the Wegman's horde. If Wegman's is as good as all the Northerners say they are, then HT doesn't stand a chance

EXCEPT that Wegeman's only plans, what, 3 stores in the Triangle. HT has like 30 stores, not including the eight they are acquiring from Kroger. I don't see HT going down the tubes anytime soon from a Wegman's attack.

I'm gonna miss Kroger. For the items I buy, it's the cheaper choice with good quality. Yes, the stores are old, but I'm not buying the stores. I'm buying the products, and I've never been especially unhappy with those purchases.

Having a Sprouts nearby would assuage my disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM

703 posts, read 779,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
kroger sucks and harris teeter pointlessly expensive.
Besides being expensive, my biggest gripes with H-T all revolve around staffing and speed of service. There was no comparison in my N. Raleigh area when it came to checkout efficiency... Kroger staff were always good and fast. H-T, when they're not forcing you to check yourself out (and deal with needlessly annoying glitches that require a staff member to resolve anyway), are painfully slow. And don't even get me started on the deli folks at H-T... Slow is totally at a different level there.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:54 PM

95 posts, read 131,331 times
I wonder what happens to the Creekside store on Six Forks Road. That is a huge store and seemed to do pretty good business.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:09 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,164,862 times
I simply can't afford to shop at HT. Many of my usual items are 2-4x more expensive there than other stores. It makes no sense really. Food Lion isn't what it used to be. The no to not have less stuff,but the have gone up on many of my usual items too. Kroger waa one of my usual, can still afford to shop here, places.

I'd have no issues seeing Harris Teeter go away completely.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:35 PM

102 posts, read 149,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I simply can't afford to shop at HT. Many of my usual items are 2-4x more expensive there than other stores. It makes no sense really. Food Lion isn't what it used to be. The no to not have less stuff,but the have gone up on many of my usual items too. Kroger waa one of my usual, can still afford to shop here, places.

I'd have no issues seeing Harris Teeter go away completely.
We use HT in a jam. We loved Kroger before moving here, but we are no longer close to one. Now we just go to Walmart Market. However, WM doesn't seem to stock very well.

We are getting more and more top tier grocery stores in the area, but nothing in the middle.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:35 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Besides being expensive, my biggest gripes with H-T all revolve around staffing and speed of service. There was no comparison in my N. Raleigh area when it came to checkout efficiency... Kroger staff were always good and fast. H-T, when they're not forcing you to check yourself out (and deal with needlessly annoying glitches that require a staff member to resolve anyway), are painfully slow. And don't even get me started on the deli folks at H-T... Slow is totally at a different level there.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:42 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,223 times
Many of those soon-to-close Kroger stores will be remodeled and reopen as Harris Teeter. Perhaps there is an unreported backstory... Kroger employees are unionized; Harris Teeter employees are not.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:48 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,308 times
You can shop at HT you simply have to buy things when they are on sale. They are pretty good about putting their staples on sale monthly. Cheese, sodas, meats etc. They ALWAYS have chicken breast available at 1.99 a lb from the butcher. I've honestly found it cheaper than most places if you shop with restraint/follow specials/occasionally clip coupons.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:53 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,480,599 times
Kroger was a bad influence on Harris-Teeter.

I love my Walmart Supercenter.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 PM

805 posts, read 524,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
You can shop at HT you simply have to buy things when they are on sale. They are pretty good about putting their staples on sale monthly. Cheese, sodas, meats etc. They ALWAYS have chicken breast available at 1.99 a lb from the butcher. I've honestly found it cheaper than most places if you shop with restraint/follow specials/occasionally clip coupons.
This is good to know. That’s how I current shop at Kroger, and I’d be happy if I could do the same at HT for a similar price. HT does have good sandwiches and soups in the deli!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary