Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 04:58 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,609,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Thank you. As someone who has worked and lived in the NNJ and CNJ areas, I can definitively say that NJ would not be attractive to a company like Amazon for a host of reasons.
Oh FFS - tell that to the ton of pharma companies there - and as I've said several times, NEWARK IS ALREADY ON THE LIST OF POTENTIALS.

This forum is so completely bizarre at times. Where do you think the people who live in NJ work?

You make your statement as if I didn't live there - I lived and worked there as well. I really have no dog in this fight, but it's silly to say the company would avoid NJ because of a vague label of corruption. As if that doesn't exist elsewhere.

Is this a "mafia runs everything" sort of statement?

They only run some things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 05:13 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Oh FFS - tell that to the ton of pharma companies there - and as I've said several times, NEWARK IS ALREADY ON THE LIST OF POTENTIALS.

This forum is so completely bizarre at times. Where do you think the people who live in NJ work?

You make your statement as if I didn't live there - I lived and worked there as well. I really have no dog in this fight, but it's silly to say the company would avoid NJ because of a vague label of corruption. As if that doesn't exist elsewhere.

Newark needs good new jobs and has good transit.

We have enough well paid techies and lousy transit.

NJ really needs Amazon to revitalize.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:15 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,874,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
.... Frankly RTP is currently little more than a convenient place to outsource low-to-mid-level engineers on the cheap. It lacks the presence of true decision makers. Those sit in Silicon Valley, DC, NY, and Europe and call the shots into RTP. Slow growth won't change that.
^^ from my time here so far, and having worked in some of those places, for most companies and industries I would tend to agree with much of this.

And though I never worked in NJ and any connection to there was long ago, I don't see NJ as one-dimensional. Even if Newark was in the running I just couldn't see Amazon there, I wonder if points further north on either side of the river might work though. Smaller airports on either side but I wonder if they would expand as part of the bid to accommodate a Leviathan like Amazon.

I still think Pittsburgh is a good contender.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:31 AM

22,678 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Quote:
I find your response odd when nobody said anything about families moving there, nor anything about moving up to Glen Rock or Montclair. Nobody is talking about the rest of NJ, either - my post was specifically about Newark, which I know very well. I'm encouraged by what's going on there, and I think real estate is a great investment there right now, though I don't have the extra cash.

I'm not arguing against you about stolen cars - my point is kind of the same point I made about Durham years past. You don't have to like it, or understand it.
I don't think you're looking at the big picture is what I'm trying to say. You're trying to attract a company to Newark...whether it's on the list or not you still need to make it attractive, and one of the things that a company looks at is "how attractive will this be to employees". Does this really need to be spelled out? The people who are going to work for Amazon need to live somewhere....within reasonable commuting distance to Newark. My niece and her husband live down the shore which is great in the summer but it took him 3 hours and a crap ton of money to get to his new job on the first day. Intelligent people, who run companies like Amazon, look at the big picture. MOST PEOPLE AREN'T GOING TO WANT TO LIVE IN OR NEAR NEWARK.

There's a guy on the LI forum who often tells the story of his company potentially moving the bulk of their business to a location on LI. And ultimately they decided to settle on a location in southern Virginia because of the high cost of living that would be a detriment to attracting and keeping employees at the NY location.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but you don't need to be from NJ or live there now or want to move there to comment intelligently on the exodus from the northeast and why that would affect a company wanting to choose that location. If I turn out to be wrong, I won't really care, that's life. Just MHO.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:42 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,166,952 times
Quote:

If you care to look at Amazon's business model and culture, you'd understand what I mean. Amazon is nothing like a pharma company.

Furthermore it makes sense for other pharma companies to locate to NJ because there is a wealth of experienced talent already in that area. NJ is not recognized as a tech hotspot.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't think you're looking at the big picture is what I'm trying to say. You're trying to attract a company to Newark...whether it's on the list or not you still need to make it attractive, and one of the things that a company looks at is "how attractive will this be to employees". Does this really need to be spelled out? The people who are going to work for Amazon need to live somewhere....within reasonable commuting distance to Newark. My niece and her husband live down the shore which is great in the summer but it took him 3 hours and a crap ton of money to get to his new job on the first day. Intelligent people, who run companies like Amazon, look at the big picture. MOST PEOPLE AREN'T GOING TO WANT TO LIVE IN OR NEAR NEWARK.

There's a guy on the LI forum who often tells the story of his company potentially moving the bulk of their business to a location on LI. And ultimately they decided to settle on a location in southern Virginia because of the high cost of living that would be a detriment to attracting and keeping employees at the NY location.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but you don't need to be from NJ or live there now or want to move there to comment intelligently on the exodus from the northeast and why that would affect a company wanting to choose that location. If I turn out to be wrong, I won't really care, that's life. Just MHO.
This is one of the reasons why I don't think Amazon will choose NJ, despite them throwing billions of $$$ their way. Amazon is not hurting for cash. They must choose a place where their employees will feel at home.

Amazon's typical employees are not going to leave their comfortable lifestyles in hip urban cities to go live in a hellhole. These people are in high demand across the industry and can command top salaries anywhere. Every company in the tech industry would love to recruit an Amazon employee, and most of them would jump ship and go elsewhere rather than move to an undesirable place just to work for Amazon.

Amazon knows this, and can not / will not choose a location that will result in "brain drain."

Last edited by uncchgrad; 10-14-2017 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-14-2017, 07:46 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,874,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Newark needs good new jobs and has good transit.

We have enough well paid techies and lousy transit.

NJ really needs Amazon to revitalize.
Hehe, sounds like surfers near good breaks posting how bad the conditions are so as to keep the non-locals away....

Old 10-14-2017, 08:09 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
Well, apparently San Antonio dropped out: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/12/san-...2-running.html

I don't see any lists that put a NC city in the top ten, but you never know. Michael Jordan has signed an open letter urging Jeff Bezos to come to Charlotte, though. I could see them coming to NC, but I think we are a bit of an underdog.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, apparently San Antonio dropped out: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/12/san-...2-running.html

I don't see any lists that put a NC city in the top ten, but you never know. Michael Jordan has signed an open letter urging Jeff Bezos to come to Charlotte, though. I could see them coming to NC, but I think we are a bit of an underdog.
If the Triangle doesn't win it won't be for lack of trying. I hear regional efforts have shifted into high gear.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
Well apparently Birmingham has a giant Amazon box out trying to lure them. Kansas City's mayor is going in an giving 1000 5-star reviews, and MJ is pitching for Charlotte. What's the Triangle pitching?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary