Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2006, 10:27 PM

107 posts, read 354,281 times

Advertisements

HI we are probably another one of those annoying people on our way to the North carolina area, who needs some advice... I was trying to move to an area which has the good reputation of schools for I have 4 young children and that is the most important to us... The cost of Long Island has literally been pushing us out of here ... I thought that I had narrowed it down to between apex schools, olive Chapel and leesville area schools. I then decided on Apex schools but now I am worried about redistricting through reading some of these posts. Would I be better off in the lessville area for those reasons ? PLEASE give me some imput for we are coming to visit the 2nd week in may for job interviews and to make a final decision on where we would like to reside Then if my husband gets one of these jobs we would be moving around july or august. We decided to rent for the first year to learn a little more about the areas, then buy thereafter..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2006, 04:11 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,137 times
The Leesville school is wonderful. There isn't a turnover of teachers in that school because the teachers love it there and stay. That school is about 2 miles from my house and a few years back I subbed in that school. It was very nice and a very calm school to work in. Not real familiar with the Apexand Olive Chapel schools, but haven't heard anything negative. I am sending you a private email so you can visit my website with alot of local info that may be of help to you. Good Luck with your choices. It is a big decision moving. Believe me I know that.

Regards,

Debbie

Last edited by DebbieF; 04-26-2006 at 04:15 AM..

Old 04-26-2006, 01:39 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
My oldest son went to leesville for elementary school for half of Kindergarden and 1st grade. That is the best you could get into because it is a 3 in one...elementary; middle; and highschool... all on the same campus. The only issue is again redistricting. My son now goes to Apex HS and only because he is a rising senior didn't get transfered with all of our neighbors to Panther Creek in Morrisville. Apex High is probably one of the better high schools by itself in the area. Although I haven't witnessed it myself. my son says there is quite a bit of drug activity in that school (as there are in all highschools everywhere in reality). But again; you really shouldn't become too attatched to any one school because it is most likely that your children will not go their throughout their education; especially the elementary schools. I doubt there are more than a handful of elementary school students who have actually stayed in the same school from Kindergarden to 5th grade. Middle and High Schoolers tend to not be redistricted as much... and usually if your highschooler is an upperclassmen, such as my son, even if your node gets redistricted to another highschool, they can stay at the one they already go to.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:55 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
krusklan,
We moved to Apex last month and I must say that the grade school my girls attend, Baucom Elementary, has been wonderful. They are so used to getting out-of-state kids and have been very helpful in helping my kids adjust. We also decided to rent before deciding where we wanted to buy. A lot of apartments offer 6-month leases, which is what we did. That way it gives us enough time to house hunt without being stuck in an apartment for a full year. (Not that there's anything wrong with apartments. It's just that we've been home owners for the past 12 years, so it is quite an adjustment to rent again.) It's also a good idea to rent first because there are SO many choices regarding neighborhoods. In Apex alone there are so many areas with so many different price ranges. I highly recommend that you find a good realtor as soon as you can. (No, I'm not one ) Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary