Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:49 PM

4,330 posts, read 6,026,037 times

Advertisements

I remember somebody official saying months ago that an announcement regarding the Belle space would be coming soon, but nothing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 05:09 PM
ERH

1,704 posts, read 2,550,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
No, but I wish for an awesome deli and bagel place so I can get a decent schmear and spear. One thing I do know, rent there is not getting any cheaper with the momentum DT Cary seems to be gathering.
Yeah, no kidding. Those homeowners along S Walker must be salivating at their future property valuations.

Have you checked out the proposed menu for Pro's Epicurean at the old Dorry's Downtown location? Maybe not exactly what you're searching for, but it should be an interesting addition to the DT scene.

The full-service restaurant will feature French and Italian cuisine with a variety of appetizers, gourmet sandwiches, cheese and charcuterie plate selections and entrees, many of which Procida creates himself. Offerings also will include artisanal cheeses and breads, mozzarella, pastries, chocolates and other desserts. A beer and wine selection will be available.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,167,021 times
Can't wait for these new places to finally open up just a mile from me! Enjoying working, playing and living in DT Cary!

Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 AM

812 posts, read 836,597 times
Thought I'd bump my own thread about DT Cary development/s.

Have recently noticed some pricey infill and redevelopment (ie tear downs) SFHs in the DT area. The descriptions point out features like single level living, stepless entries, zero-entry showers and no/low maintenance exteriors. Obviously, geared towards the "advanced age" crowd of "empty-nesters".

Triangle Parade of Homes (home is...."interesting"......looks like a bank... a SECU to be exact)

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...73_rect/16_zm/ (home is totally walkable to an elementary school -Kingswood... literally a couple hundred feet approx. 1/2 block away w/o even crossing a street! Almost a shame property is geared to childless couples.)

So... my question. Is this the gentrification OR geriatric-ification of DT Cary?

Nothing against our elders, but as a "young family" living near downtown, we wouldn't mind some other young families joining us moving into the area as it "turns over". After all, younger working-age families might be interested in taking advantage of all the kid-centric walkable amenities (park, fountain, ice cream parlor, corner drug store, arts center, regional library) as well as the central location to multiple employment centers (Ex: hubs works in RTP = 15 min, wife works in DT Raleigh = 15 min). Not to mention very short drives to recreational opportunities like Umstead State Park, Bond Park, Lake Crabtree County Park, and Wake-Med Soccer Park.

Don't forget Ikea "coming soon" to this general area too (great products for young families.. IMHO)

Honestly, I'm not an ageist and I am not trying to offend anyone. Everyone has the right to live where they want to live and I value ALL diversity. Also, I understand this area is attractive to lots of people of ALL ages... much for the same reasons (aforementioned). Just curious about trends and the future and if a "glorified retirement community" is what TOC is expecting to happen to DT.

Last edited by ncrunner77; 10-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: add elementary school details

Old 10-07-2017, 09:09 AM
DPK

4,597 posts, read 5,756,592 times
If the TOC wants young people to buy/move downtown they need to rethink their price points.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:16 PM

9,157 posts, read 14,838,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
If the TOC wants young people to buy/move downtown they need to rethink their price points.
Well, when the town of Cary starts getting into the development and homebuilding business, they can set price points and pick whichever floor plans they like and build them. Until then, it’s a market thing.

But that one house, I saw it in the Parade book and I was thinking it was a bit of an odd choice to build now. I need to get by there next weekend and check it out.

There are quite a few additional info houses I’ve noticed as well all around the edges of the downtown area.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:31 PM

127 posts, read 135,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Cary downtown price points are a bit lower than Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill for the decent areas. The downtown already is pretty dull, and I'm not sure that the recent trend of retirement places there is going to help that.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:00 PM
DPK

4,597 posts, read 5,756,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, when the town of Cary starts getting into the development and homebuilding business, they can set price points and pick whichever floor plans they like and build them. Until then, it’s a market thing.
Ah yeah you got me there. I think in my haste of a reply earlier what I really intended by TOC was more like shorthand for development within the TOC and not development by the entity that is the TOC.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:05 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,798,426 times
We toured that "SECU" building yesterday. Just such a strange exterior for an otherwise lovely home. I can kind of see the point if they wanted to be stealth, but if that was the case, why be on the parade? I also learned that downtown Cary still has dirt roads, which was surprising.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:22 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,556,722 times
DT Cary still has some old house that was moved to behind the hotel, but it has sat for months, and never got refurbished, etc. by Mayton owners or whatever. Not a pretty sight last time I walked by earlier this summer.

Historic Cary house moves to new home at Mayton Inn | News & Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary