Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:02 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Thanks for the link. That's interesting. Before I came to Raleigh, I assumed the Hurricanes would draw good attendance numbers given that they are only game in town (for pro sports)...but after going to multiple games myself, that's not the case.
Not that I want to compare pro sports to college sports, but the Triangle is quite unique in that it is the only metro area in the entire US that has three colleges/universities that play in the same "Power 5" conference. The next closest thing would be Los Angeles, where both USC and UCLA are located.

I try to make a Big Ten or Pac-12 analogy, with just going by total student numbers (not reputation), imagine if Northwestern (Duke), University of Maryland (NC State) and the University of Iowa (UNC) were all located next to one another or Stanford (Duke), Cal-Berkeley (NC State) and Oregon State (UNC) were all located next to one another.

I don't know if you realized it yet, you might have, but you just moved to the epicenter of college basketball. If the Canes were actually competing for playoff spots each and every year, instead of trying not to be last or next to last in their conference, the attendance would increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 04:04 PM

5,131 posts, read 3,747,404 times
I think hockey will do fine in Raleigh given enough time. So far as attendance goes you have to take in to account how good a team is and for how long they have been competitive. A few years ago you couldn't give Mets tickets away. this year the place was nearly sold out for the stretch run. I think National League baseball is a bigger draw in NY than hockey is in Raleigh NC. It's not doing that bad. I can remember walking up to the window on game day to see the Oakland Seals vs the Rangers and getting seats right behind the net. I don't think you can do that in Raleigh.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Mikejaquish.

Thanks for the compliment about Toronto as a hockey town........Of course having a team that began playing in the NHL in 1932 helps......Grin.

A few more bits of information about Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

They own the Maple Leafs hockey club, The Toronto Raptors of the NBA, The Toronto Blue jays of MLB, the Toronto Marlies of the AHL, the Toronto FC of MLS, The Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, and they own the Air Canada Centre, where the Leafs and the Raptors play their home games.

MLSE also owns the Bank of Montreal Field, where Toronto FC plays their home games, the MasterCard Centre where the Leafs practice, the Richo centre where the Marlies play their AHL home games and the Bio Steel Centre where the Toronto FC practice.

Total net worth of MLSE is estimated at two billion US dollars.

Link to CTV video, Maple Leafs players visit Hospital For Sick Kids, November 25 2015.

CTV Toronto: Leafs visit Sick Kids Hospital | CTV Toronto News

As I said the Leafs are deeply involved in the Toronto community.

Jim B.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:05 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Nothing against hockey fans, but I went to one Canes game and found it was a very boring experience for me. I think the players are way over paid for what it is just like with many other sports.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I know some folks who go to Hurricanes games, but I agree with the other posters who made the comments that the Triangle is college basketball central. Nothing is ever going to really compete with that. I think hockey was a good choice, though, for a pro team in our area. The major college sports have too big of a profile for pro basketball or football to ever gain much of a foothold here. Charlotte is better off with those and we're better off with hockey.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:11 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Nothing against hockey fans, but I went to one Canes game and found it was a very boring experience for me. I think the players are way over paid for what it is just like with many other sports.
Actually, hockey players aren't paid as much as the other pro sports. That's why I like hockey...it's a much different culture than basketball, baseball, and football.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I know some folks who go to Hurricanes games, but I agree with the other posters who made the comments that the Triangle is college basketball central. Nothing is ever going to really compete with that. I think hockey was a good choice, though, for a pro team in our area. The major college sports have too big of a profile for pro basketball or football to ever gain much of a foothold here. Charlotte is better off with those and we're better off with hockey.
I definitely don't mind. Just having a NHL team here is good enough for me.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:48 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Hockey players overpaid?!? They do 180 something games a year!!!

The absolute highest paid guys are around $10 mil a year, contrast that with football players who so what, 12 games?!?

At least sports players earn their money from their fans/attendance/endorsements. It's not like they are government employees....

You can buy tickets for Canes games for $10. We used to do that quite a bit. Saw a lot of Penguins games for super cheap!

Last edited by wheelsup; 11-26-2015 at 04:15 AM..

Old 11-26-2015, 06:44 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Fun game last night.
Not a big crowd, but more adults than have been coming out lately.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Fun game last night.
Not a big crowd, but more adults than have been coming out lately.
I'm down in Tampa and went to the Lightning game last night. Got to see a shootout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary