Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:34 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,930,047 times

Advertisements

We live in the back end of Brier Creek Country Club, right behind Page Road. Just now, while taking out the (damn) dog, I thought I heard a distant sound that was very familiar from all our years of living in the desert outside of Phoenix, AZ. Coyotes yelping and howling as they caught something for dinner. I might have questioned myself except the dog reacted to the sound in the peculiar way that coyotes always produced in him when we lived in the Phoenix area (and Mexico, for that matter).

When he finished his (damn) business, we returned home and google reassured me that I wasn't going nuts. There are indeed coyotes in Raleigh and Durham. I know many will disagree, but I LOVE that sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 01:13 AM

297 posts, read 741,670 times
If they disagree, they haven't lived here long. Coyotes have long been spotted in the area, particularly the urban areas.

On a side note, why is that? Is it because they stand out when they wander into neighborhoods? Cities offer more potential spotters?

Old 04-25-2015, 03:51 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,441,559 times
We live close to you and I have heard this sound several times in the past year. My husband thinks I am nuts and does not believe there are coyote here. I get frightened because we have 2 small dogs (14 lb). I know nothing about coyote - are they aggressive around people? I guess I want to know if they would ever try to attack my dogs if we are walking them on a leash?

Old 04-25-2015, 05:32 AM

5,747 posts, read 17,626,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
There are indeed coyotes in Raleigh and Durham. I know many will disagree, but I LOVE that sound.
Hear them a few times a year in our neighborhood as well. Not too distant either. Maybe a half mile away at most.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:02 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,776,453 times
I spotted one at Falls Lake a couple of years ago while fishing. It actually entered the water and swam across a section of the lake a couple of hundred yards wide.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:08 AM

43,396 posts, read 77,320,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfThis View Post
If they disagree, they haven't lived here long. Coyotes have long been spotted in the area, particularly the urban areas.

On a side note, why is that? Is it because they stand out when they wander into neighborhoods? Cities offer more potential spotters?
Impact on their habitat from development?
They are in the Walnut Creek area, too.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:12 AM

69 posts, read 173,660 times
I had a coyote walk across the road right in front of my car a few months back in Durham (Hope Valley Farms). I've heard them in the past so I know they live around here, but I was definitely surprised to see one!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:44 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,930,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
We live close to you and I have heard this sound several times in the past year. My husband thinks I am nuts and does not believe there are coyote here. I get frightened because we have 2 small dogs (14 lb). I know nothing about coyote - are they aggressive around people? I guess I want to know if they would ever try to attack my dogs if we are walking them on a leash?
Google it and you'll show your husband you're not nuts. Recent news reports show that about 2 coyotes a year get hit by planes at the airport, and sightings have occurred in Ulmstead Park and along TW Alexander on the way to Durham. (And in areas more distant from me, including Cary)

Coyotes are skittish around humans. Aggressive behavior around humans and dogs ON LEASH is so rare that we never worried about it when we lived in the desert (where coyotes were nearly daily occurrences). I certainly wont be worrying about them in Rakeigh! Very small dogs OFF leash could be a target in an unfenced area. (Even in a fenced area, the fence needed to be 8 feet high - those suckers can 'climb' a fence if they are starving. Small dogs and small cats are also targets for eagles and other birds of prey.)

Yes, it's development taking into their habitat. But unlike certain species who move away from development, Coyotes are very adaptable, easily going from hunting in the wild for their food (rabbits, squirrels, rats, snakes, beavers, groundhogs, frogs, even small deer if they travel in a pack) to foraging trash cans and dumpsters. Like domestic dogs, their sense of smell and ability to learn new tasks quickly allows them to adapt and survive. Typically, coyotes stay within a 25 mile radius of their base home.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:04 AM

4,265 posts, read 3,190,239 times
Have seen several in Wake Forest near Highway 98. Also saw one hit by a car on 540 near Leesville and on the belt line near Lake Boone Trail. They are all over. Saw my first one in the early 80's at Lake Jordan when I was hunting deer and couldn't believe my eyes. They do tend to get larger here than out west. I've got pictures of one that would go 50-55 lbs.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:10 AM

632 posts, read 1,847,483 times
I live just north of Falls Lake, and I've seen one run through our yard. My first thought was what a big, ugly fox it was until I realized it was a coyote instead. I mentioned it to a neighbor who said she's seen "them" in the 'hood, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary