Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2006, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 24,053 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are considering a move to Wake Forest area .We have 4 children,2 of whom have autism.I have read that Wake Forest's schools are well rated.
However ,this does not always translate into a good education for my kids with autism.One is also gifted,so he is in a few advanced classes and is in high school.The other child is considered high functioning,but due to an inadequate placement in school,she now needs reading instruction.
We currently live in Va.Beach ,Va.Great area for typical kids ,but terrible for special needs.I would greatly appreciate any input.I am a little concerned reading some of the posts about corporal punishment as autistic people are more likely to be abused.
Thank you,
concerned mom

Old 04-14-2006, 05:58 AM

285 posts, read 1,091,331 times
Default Hitting disabled children

You have every reason to fear punitive school systems who choose to pick up wooden boards to hit children. Boys, minorities, and disabled children are hit at higher rates than other children.

Here in Union County, NC, our school district has the shameful distinction of hitting more disabled children than any other county in North Carolina or South Carolina. The Office of Civil Rights tracks the data. You can go to www.stophitting.com and click on the "discipline in schools" link, then find the number of children paddled in any district. The 2000 data is more complete, the 2002 data is a partial survey, not all counties participated. You can see which counties hit children enrolled in the IDEA, or "Individuals with Disablities Education Act". The Education for All Handicapped Children Act (P.L. 94-142) of 1975 and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (P. L. 101-476) identified specific categories of disabilities under which children may be eligible for special education and related services. As defined by IDEA, the term "child with a disability" means a child:

with mental retardation, hearing impairments (including deafness), speech or language impairments, visual impairments (including blindness), serious emotional disturbance, orthopedic impairments, autism, traumatic brain injury, other health impairments, or specific learning disabilities; and
who, by reason thereof, needs special education and related services.

Union County hit 85 children enrolled in the IDEA program according to the most recent OCR data. This is more than were hit in any other county in the states of North Carolina and South Carolina. I will never understand a district that embraces corporal punishment, but hitting disabled children takes this to another level. It gives me chills.

I have sources for all of the facts that I share, these are not numbers that are shared readily by any school district. They would much rather fly "schools of excellence" banners across the entry ways.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:55 AM

Hi Mom of 4.
Thank you for the response.OCR is tracking the incidents of "spankings "in your county?Evidently,this type of punishment is O.K. with the school board or it would stop period.The federal goverment enacts regulations that are supposed to ensure equal access to all benefits & programs that receive federal funding.Each state individually has the right to draft their own regulations that can provide more benefit than the federal regulations,but never less.Then each local educational agency has it's own policies & regulations ,again that can provide more benefits and protections that the state or federal,but not less.However,there are internal policies in each individual school,that determine who & how children are disciplined.
Many schools use their zero tolerance policy at administrative discretion to remove students the school does not want anyway.Such as minority kids or kids with disabilities.
A recent example I am aware of involved a student self-identified as gay.He was taunted,teased & threatened daily,which he reported to administration,who did nothing.Eventually the harrassment escalated to physical threats.The boy defended himself & was given a 10 day suspension.
In several states,it is acceptable to place students with disabilities into seperate schools,where they are not counted in the schools high stake testing.There are also loopholes such as school in school which also allow a group of students,usually with disabilities not to be counted in the high stakes testing for NCLB.
Autistic kids are often placed in these programs.They are often restrained,put into time out seclusion rooms,etc.
I am really concerned with moving somewhere where my kids will be treated badly as well as not being educated.Here,they are just not educated,but other than mental abuse,have remained somewhat safe.
Does anyone know if restraint holds or rooms are used in N.C.?
Thanks,

Old 04-14-2006, 09:06 AM

285 posts, read 1,091,331 times
There was new legislation passed in July 2005 regarding the use of restraints and seclusion. See:
www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2005/Bills/House/HTML/H1032v6 (broken link).
The same legislators who were behind this improved law are interested in the issue of corporal punishment, so we are making strides for children in NC.
Oh, and by the way, OCR tracks the incidents of corporal punishment in all states, not just my state or county.
Best of luck to you as you seek the education and treatment that all children, including those with disabilities, are entitled to.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:52 AM

It sounds like parents are making great strides in changing harmful educational practices at the school level.Great Job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary