Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Interesting thought.
Do you have a link to the source?
Sure, here ya go: https://support.tapatalk.com/threads...e-2#post-78888

Old 12-04-2013, 02:23 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
Yep. Interesting stuff.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think that CD is smart to offer Tapatalk, for folks who are mobile, as member contributions to content are a huge reason for CD's great SERP results with GOOG.
Sorry forgot to comment on this part -- yes you're right but the thing is if users are doing their browsing with mobile, especially with the Tapatalk client, there is less opportunity there for Google to display anything, so any results they offer become less valuable. Their entire ad model falls apart with a custom client like Tapatalk.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:30 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
Sorry forgot to comment on this part -- yes you're right but the thing is if users are doing their browsing with mobile, especially with the Tapatalk client, there is less opportunity there for Google to display anything, so any results they offer become less valuable. Their entire ad model falls apart with a custom client like Tapatalk.
I don't see ads when I browse though - I think as soon as you create an account, the forums become ad free.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I don't see ads when I browse though - I think as soon as you create an account, the forums become ad free.
Right, but that's just what CD has chosen to do, for now (apparently get revenue only from anonymous users who find content through search results). In other words, encourage lots of content input by keeping the ads out of the way of the users who are creating value (contributing by typing posts), and earn money from people searching for that content.

But devices beyond the standard computer and web browser change all that, because without a web browser, the app platform is in control of advertisements rather than the server, and on mobile people aren't necessarily using a web browser and Google to do their searching (think of something like Siri on the iPhone, or searching on smart TVs, game consoles like xbox, tablets etc).

Some forums that support Tapatalk do show ads even to registered users, but they can't within Tapatalk, at least not the same way. I guess Tapatalk has their own proprietary solution for ads that gives them a cut instead of Google.

So will forum operators reject Tapatalk eventually? Possibly, some already are, but then again some users want it so who knows. I suspect some of them will have a big problem paying a license fee for software that ultimately eats away their revenue.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
it was my pie thread wasn't it

i tried to make it local - DO NOT BUY THE APPLE PIE AT CHAPEL HILL WHOLE FOODS sight unseen or bad things happen

Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqyankee View Post
I am interested in restaurants in the Triangle that serve migratory birds that are passing through the Triangle. Am I doing this right?
Your title is fine but they may not allow it in light of your user name. No "yankee" allowed in your user name. Sorry.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
it was my pie thread wasn't it

i tried to make it local - DO NOT BUY THE APPLE PIE AT CHAPEL HILL WHOLE FOODS sight unseen or bad things happen
LOL. Don't do that again. Telling people where in town not to buy pies sans inspection just isn't local enough.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 27,586 times
Where is the Fresh Market for the Blueberry corn bread? You have me craving now...... I went to Patrick Jane's Gourmet Pizza last night and had the most tasty pizza I have had since moving here over the summer. So where is this blueberry corn bread? I need to get me some.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:44 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyinCary View Post
Where is the Fresh Market for the Blueberry corn bread? You have me craving now...... I went to Patrick Jane's Gourmet Pizza last night and had the most tasty pizza I have had since moving here over the summer. So where is this blueberry corn bread? I need to get me some.
My Store Location:

3655 SW Cary Pkwy
Cary, NC 27513

But, they don't always have the BB Cornbread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary