Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yes. I suspect this to be the problem. They have a ton of routes to Green Hope this year. Two pages of them. They only had one page before. Sooo, if this is true of all schools? I cannot see how they'd have enough buses or drivers.
Yup. And the buses are coming from far and wide. It's not the choice plan though....even though none of these kids were remotely close to being these schools last year!

Don't even want to get into how crowded the schools are - class sizes maintained but it is just going to bust open one day and a wall of kids is going to float down Davis Drive. You heard it here first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
One of my friends has a neighbor whose son is at Green Hope High School. His bus pickup time is 6:30 am but the 1st stop on the list is at 4:30am and they live 6 miles from the school. 4:30am!

Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
WRAL is currently streaming Tata's response to the "bus issue". Wake schools responds to busing complaints :: WRAL.com

Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And our bus is un-airconditioned. They took 50-something buses off the road but left the ones from the Year of the Flood on the road.
Hmmm, my oldest said her bus was very un-airconditioned, my youngest said her bus driver claimed to have "accidentally bumped the heater with her elbow and turned it on".

Another brilliant money saver: Save money by not running the AC, then keep the kids on the bus for 2 hours after school, give them all 'heat prostration' and they'll have to stay home tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:06 PM

My 12 year old calls the buses without air "prehistoric". Imagine if he knew that we used to have to roll car windows up and down with a crank handle!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:46 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'm not trying to argue in favor of the current choice-based assignment plan, but I'm leery of using first day transportation issues as proof that the plan is flawed. In a system as large and complex as Wake, there are likely to be some problems at the start of a school year. This is not the first year some families have encountered transportation problems.
Well, I just started teaching in a year-round school and the busses have been showing up 30 minutes after school gets out all month-which to me is crazy. The last two days it was after 5. The kids were starving-imagine what time they got home.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Well, I just started teaching in a year-round school and the busses have been showing up 30 minutes after school gets out all month-which to me is crazy. The last two days it was after 5. The kids were starving-imagine what time they got home.
The same thing happened to us for the last 2 years of elementary school. The bus didn't get to school until 30 minutes after school ended. This new 2 tier bus system was supposed to end that problem since the buses only have to serve two different schools now instead of three.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup. And the buses are coming from far and wide. It's not the choice plan though....even though none of these kids were remotely close to being these schools last year!

Don't even want to get into how crowded the schools are - class sizes maintained but it is just going to bust open one day and a wall of kids is going to float down Davis Drive. You heard it here first!
I just found out that my daughter's middle school had students clamoring to get in. Go figure.

They still don't have busing sorted out, but she got home 30 minutes earlier today.

Build a fence. Gotta keep those kids off your lawn.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
One of my friends has a neighbor whose son is at Green Hope High School. His bus pickup time is 6:30 am but the 1st stop on the list is at 4:30am and they live 6 miles from the school. 4:30am!
4:30? Good grief.

I thought my kid had it bad. We live about 7 miles away from Green Hope and his bus is here around 6:15.

4:30??? I hope those kids sleep on the bus!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:18 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
The same thing happened to us for the last 2 years of elementary school. The bus didn't get to school until 30 minutes after school ended. This new 2 tier bus system was supposed to end that problem since the buses only have to serve two different schools now instead of three.
Oh those excuses are b.s. They used to tell us the same thing last year when we didn't have a bus in the afternoon - meanwhile the school has the earliest start time of any elementary in the entire county. So where was the bus before coming to our school?! The situation wasn't resolved till I emailed the head of transport with a tirade and some legal questions and magically we had a bus the next day and never had one problem after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary