Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: second mortgages, buy a house, tax help, new home, insurance.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:09 PM

14 posts, read 46,637 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are selling our home in LI, NY because simply -- we can't afford to live here anymore! We don't know where we will go yet. We are looking into areas in WV, but really prefer the warmer climate of NC. I'm not sure if this is the place for us and I am hoping that someone can provide some info that will help us make a good choice. I have seen some good deals on houses with property in the Fuquay-Varina/Willow Spring area but I am wondering -- is this still part of the flood plain? Also, what does flood insurance cost? I don't know because I've never needed it.

Anyway, we are open to almost any place that meets the following criteria:

1. An open minded community! I am a Holistic Minister and Reiki Master. I teach people seeking certification to become practitioners as well as offering workshops in various wellness practices. I also have a small shop that sells spiritual items as well as candles, incense, oils, -- you get the picture. I currently operate my business from home/internet and need to be somewhere that doesn't have regulations prohibiting operating a business from my home (i.e. subdivision that have HOA's). My husband is in the construction industry and needs to be 45 min - 1 hr. away from someplace where they're doing a fair amount of building. He is also a musician so would want to have access to places that will allow him to continue playing (he's currently in a rock band that does covers and originals and would need to get a new crew together or join one in need of a kickin' guitar player!).

2. Homes are available for top price $200K on at least a half acre. We don't mind having to travel a bit to a city area for entertainment and conveniences if necessary, but we want to live somewhere outside of the city where there is a wide open feel and it's quiet and serene.

3. A place where the property taxes aren't like a second mortgage! I currently pay $12,000/yr for a 2500 sq. ft home on 1/3 of an acre! Can't go there again. Anyone have an idea of the taxes in this area??

4. Somewhere relatively safe. I realize that "a safe place" is relative to what one is used to, but I am from NY so....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 03:20 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedonLI View Post
My husband and I are selling our home in LI, NY because simply -- we can't afford to live here anymore! We don't know where we will go yet. We are looking into areas in WV, but really prefer the warmer climate of NC. I'm not sure if this is the place for us and I am hoping that someone can provide some info that will help us make a good choice. I have seen some good deals on houses with property in the Fuquay-Varina/Willow Spring area but I am wondering -- is this still part of the flood plain? Also, what does flood insurance cost? I don't know because I've never needed it.

Anyway, we are open to almost any place that meets the following criteria:

1. An open minded community! I am a Holistic Minister and Reiki Master. I teach people seeking certification to become practitioners as well as offering workshops in various wellness practices. I also have a small shop that sells spiritual items as well as candles, incense, oils, -- you get the picture. I currently operate my business from home/internet and need to be somewhere that doesn't have regulations prohibiting operating a business from my home (i.e. subdivision that have HOA's). My husband is in the construction industry and needs to be 45 min - 1 hr. away from someplace where they're doing a fair amount of building. He is also a musician so would want to have access to places that will allow him to continue playing (he's currently in a rock band that does covers and originals and would need to get a new crew together or join one in need of a kickin' guitar player!).

2. Homes are available for top price $200K on at least a half acre. We don't mind having to travel a bit to a city area for entertainment and conveniences if necessary, but we want to live somewhere outside of the city where there is a wide open feel and it's quiet and serene.

3. A place where the property taxes aren't like a second mortgage! I currently pay $12,000/yr for a 2500 sq. ft home on 1/3 of an acre! Can't go there again. Anyone have an idea of the taxes in this area??

4. Somewhere relatively safe. I realize that "a safe place" is relative to what one is used to, but I am from NY so....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The property tax issue is like a gopher ball. Smashed over the wall! No prob lem in NC, compared to NY. Depending on the town and county, that $200,000 home will cost you from $1300 annually to $2500 annually in Property Tax.

Relatively Safe is easily done.

The $200,000 on .5 acre within 45 minutes for Hubby is not hard.
HOA is not the real issue regarding your business. You will want to be in an unrestricted area regarding zoning, and that is local government, not HOA. But, it is feasible.

Open-mindedness on the part of neighbors will be OK. Attaining a customer base may be more difficult, but you know you are in sales, so you will work it out.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:39 PM

Thanks MikeJaquish! Your info is very helpful. Yeah, I do know it will probably be tough to build a new clientele in a new area, I guess I am just trying to feel out the places that at least have an open enough mindset to look to the work I do. The property tax info is also a big help. Do the areas I mentioned fit what I'm looking for? Also, are they in the flood plain? Thanks!

Old 08-26-2007, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,053 times
texas has no state income tax..and you should be able to get a wonderful house for 200k. there are a variety of area in texas...hill county (pricy but beautiful) san antonio...wonderful city, corpus christi...beautiful waterfront.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:09 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Thanks MikeJaquish! Your info is very helpful. Yeah, I do know it will probably be tough to build a new clientele in a new area, I guess I am just trying to feel out the places that at least have an open enough mindset to look to the work I do. The property tax info is also a big help. Do the areas I mentioned fit what I'm looking for? Also, are they in the flood plain? Thanks!
Flood plain is determined on an individual property basis.
You should have many good choices and be out of any flood plain.

Willow Springs is fairly rural, and you will labor to draw clientele.
Fuquay Varina is a small town.

A tour of the area is suggested.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Chapel Hill or Carborro is probably out of your price range for what you want...but you should probably look towards that end of the area. Pittsboro might also work.

FV and Willow Springs probably won't be that great of a fit.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:32 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,687 times
A fellow Long Islander hoping to escape ourselves. We bought a home in Clayton, 2700 sq ft on 1.375 acres, taxes about $1800 a year for $229k (new construction). We felt it was in right area for us. Rural enough the way LI was when we first moved here, close enough to all the shopping/store that we will need, etc. Unfortunately, the HOA doesn't allow businesses running out of the properties, but I'm sure there are properties in the area that probably would. Now our issue is selling our 2400 sq ft home on .5 acre on LI with 10,500 / yr taxes (after star exemption). Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Andy64; 08-26-2007 at 08:43 PM..

Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 PM

Thank you all for the great information. It really helps. And Andy64 - I know what you mean! My house has only been on the market for a few weeks so I don't think I'll be leaving any time soon. Houses just are moving right now. I keep trying to hold on though until I can live somewhere with a little breathing room in the checkbook! I wish you luck selling your LI home and I'm glad you found a niche for yourself there. Hope I am as fortunate.

I really do appreciate the replies from everyone. It is such a great thing to have a way to ask these question of people who are there and to get the info first hand. Many blessings to all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary