Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 AM

19 posts, read 55,560 times

Advertisements

Any update on this exciting news?

The Daily Tar Heel :: Triangle Transit looks into light-rail system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:58 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofthings View Post

Wake, Orange, and Durham counties plan on using a special sales tax to raise money for light rail and increased bus service. Wake and Orange have decided to hold off on the referendum on the tax, but Durham's referendum will be on the ballot this November. The proposed tax is 1%, just like Mecklenburg (Charlotte) passed.

Durham-Orange Friends of Transit

Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,731 times
The last time we had a light rail plan (2005) it died for lack of sufficient local support.

This time around, everything is being made contingent on a 0.5% local sales tax. Durham is planning to put it up for a referendum this fall. Wake and Orange are planning on having the referendum next year.

They recently decided on a route for downtown Raleigh, one that leaves the railroad on Morgan Street and then turns north up Harrington. It's not the route that I would have picked (I would have chosen one that gets closer to Fayetteville Street, where the densest concentration of jobs and destinations is found.

There is a significant faction now (in 2005 also) that says "If it doesn't go to the airport it's worthless." I do not subscribe to this philosophy. I understand the logic - people are likely to take the train to places where parking is inconvenient and/or expensive, and RDU is one of just seven places in the Triangle that meets that criteria (the others being the downtowns and the universities in Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.) Don't get me wrong, RDU would be a nice connection to have, but the RDU terminal is just so far from the rail line that reaching it would be very expensive. A bus connection for now, and maybe an eventual extension of the light rail or a people mover is fine by me.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,731,128 times
Unfortunely even if this ever happens, we'll all probably be dead by the time it does?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,951,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
The last time we had a light rail plan (2005) it died for lack of sufficient local support.
Well, that, and because the U.S. Department of Transportation pulled its support and funding after concluding that the locally-produced projections of ridership were complete fantasy.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,520,378 times
It's pretty much impossible to get a train into RDU without an extremely expensive tunnel or fly-over, which will never happen...

We'll see what happens overall though. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Durham had some sort of light rail system before Wake.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:13 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,721,574 times
What is feasible.. getting a train into RDU's soon-to-be-built "conrac" (consolidated rental car facility). RDU supposedly is thinking about a people-mover between the conrac and the terminals eventually. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 PM

700 posts, read 1,647,320 times
Lynx Rapid Transit Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you may want to read this first. Look at what Charlotte is doing. Then look into corridors. Light rail is a good system. It cuts do on pollution and noise and all the other bad things cars and buses bring. But, is Raleigh ready for it. I say no.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 PM

19 posts, read 55,560 times
Hmm, well I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Durham county this November.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:08 AM

334 posts, read 867,918 times
It is an expensive fantasy. There is no where near the population density in this area to make it anything more than another drain on the tax payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary